AAPL stock: $160.47 ( +0.59 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Rio Olympic venues 1 year later
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: August 11, 2017 01:34PM
More deatails here: [www.espn.com]

More images here: [gizmodo.com]

The 2016 Rio Olympics were supposed to be the second of a one-two punch announcing Brazil's arrival as a world power through dominance in sports. But in many ways, the opposite unfolded. Timed with an embarrassing political corruption scandal and the largest economic crisis in Brazil's history, the hosting of the 2014 World Cup and 2016 Games has resulted in a perfect storm of unfulfilled promises.

While 15 of the original 27 venues have hosted some sort of event since the Games, others sit largely abandoned, their decay and disrepair a constant reminder of what was meant to be. Even the iconic soccer stadium, the Maracanã, has been vandalized, and had its power shut off completely after amassing a $950,000 electric bill.

Deodoro Olympic Park, long hailed by Brazilian politicians and Olympic proponents as a path to upgrade one of Rio's poorer neighborhoods, is shuttered. The community pool that was supposed to come out of the canoe slalom course was closed in December and has yet to re-open. Brazil's Federal Court of Audit (TCU) reported last week that another abandoned pool, at the Deodoro Aquatics Center, is now covered in bugs, mud and rodent feces. A Deodoro elevator once used to lift fans over a busy road now leads to nowhere.

Even some of the medals awarded to the athletes have tarnished or cracked, with more than 10 percent of them sent back to Brazil for repair. Rio officials blame poor handling by the athletes.

Almost a year since the Games closed, the Rio 2016 Organizing Committee still owes $40 million to creditors. Bloomberg reported in April that the Olympic organizers were attempting to pay creditors with air conditioners, portable energy units and electrical cables. In July, the organizing committee asked the International Olympic Committee for help with its debt; the IOC said no.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Rio Olympic venues 1 year later
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 11, 2017 01:37PM
.....VENi......vidi......vici......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: August 11, 2017 02:11PM
No third world country can properly host Olympics. One word stands out: vandalized. The soccer stadium VANDALIZED. Looting, rioting, vandalizing seems to be the way of third world mentalaity. Therefore, they are third world. Japan, South Korea, other countries that's had a rougher history than Africa or Latin America pull themselves out of poverty because the people WORK and have respect. I was in Kenya a few years ago right before that election that didn't go the way many wanted, for what ever reason. People started brutally killing their own neighbors who were of different tribal backgrounds and voted differently. Riots, looting, burning, and vandalizing. A Japanese friend worked in Africa for many years training farmers. He told me Africans were always saying, "No problem, no problem." My friend told them, "You keep saying 'no problem,' therefore you have problems!" Yes, it is a problem to work hard, be respectful of others and property, and Do The Right Thing™. Anyway, I hope the best for Brazil.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: DP
Date: August 11, 2017 02:56PM
Just a reminder of why I will never watch or in any way support again the Olympics until some major, MAJOR changes are made. Starting with the dissolution of the IOC, an investigation into the antics of many IOC members, and a complete from-the-ground-up overhaul of the Games...

Posted by: bfd
Date: August 11, 2017 03:03PM
But they will always have Brazilian wax…smiley-excited001
Posted by: hal
Date: August 11, 2017 03:51PM
DP
Just a reminder of why I will never watch or in any way support again the Olympics until some major, MAJOR changes are made. Starting with the dissolution of the IOC, an investigation into the antics of many IOC members, and a complete from-the-ground-up overhaul of the Games...

I would love to be that 'good', but I can not resist the Olympic hockey tournament if the NHL players are in on it - it's the best damn thing in the world.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: August 11, 2017 04:45PM
It's not just Rio. There are plenty of former Olympic venues that ended up empty a few years after the big show ended. It sounds like the Beijing Bird's Nest still gets used when someone is willing to pay to clean it up. They are planning to reuse it for 2022 Winter Olympics opening and closing ceremonies.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: August 11, 2017 05:44PM
Filliam H. Muffman
It sounds like the Beijing Bird's Nest still gets used when someone is willing to pay to clean it up.

Sounds like my neighbor's balcony.
Posted by: jdc
Date: August 11, 2017 05:46PM
Is *anyone* really shocked by this? There were only about 10,000 articles about how big of a @#$%& show it was gonna be...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: August 12, 2017 12:44AM
Filliam H. Muffman
It's not just Rio. There are plenty of former Olympic venues that ended up empty a few years after the big show ended. It sounds like the Beijing Bird's Nest still gets used when someone is willing to pay to clean it up. They are planning to reuse it for 2022 Winter Olympics opening and closing ceremonies.

Other venues in other cities have fallen apart or have been abandoned but Rio and Sochi will probably be the two most known for falling into disrepair so quickly.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 12, 2017 08:48AM
....her name is Rio and she dances on the...

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: August West
Date: August 12, 2017 01:10PM

No third world country can properly host Olympics. One word stands out: vandalized...

Must be nice to live in a country with no vandalism. And a pure first world population. barf smiley

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: datbeme
Date: October 11, 2017 11:36AM
Hmmm. Those pictures don't really look much different than the ones that were making the rounds DURING the Brazil games.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 257
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015