Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $157.86 ( 0.00 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Decent non-alcholic beer?
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 11, 2017 02:11PM
I tried Becks and it seems very sweet. O'Doul's (spelling?) is a little better. Anything else that tastes almost like real beer?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Decent non-alcholic beer?
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 11, 2017 02:14PM
I have never had any worth a second try. I think the better option may be to find something in the 3% range. There are some beers of lowered ABV out there now.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 11, 2017 02:14PM
Sparkling water comes to mind. Non alcoholic beer ? 'tis the work o' the devil !
Posted by: hal
Date: August 11, 2017 02:18PM
a really spicy ginger beer is awesome - forget fake beer. you will always be disappointed.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 11, 2017 02:25PM
......never make moral judgements for beer or people.....every person and beer is different some are just born bad....one bottle could be decent and kind and thoughtful.....the next bottle in the same six pack could be ruthless and evil.......treat each one as an individual.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 11, 2017 02:29PM
LOL, Newt, you made my day!
Posted by: Buzz
Date: August 11, 2017 02:33PM
I remember having one around thirty years ago that had some minimal alcohol content, but was low enough to still be sold as non-alcoholic, that had the closest taste to "real" beer. IIRC, it was imported, and pretty expensive. Do not recall the name however.
==
Posted by: beagledave
Date: August 11, 2017 02:34PM
Everyone is different, but I still think that NA beer is like making love in a canoe.
Date: August 11, 2017 02:39PM
here is one list of 6 choices..............?!

•CLAUSTHALER. Aromas: Molasses, malts. Flavors: Pilsner-like, but no overwhelming flavors. ...
•KALIBER. Aromas: Toasted, burnt malts. ...
•COORS N.A. Aromas: "Like a bag of liquid malt extract when you open it." ...
•Beck's N.A. Aromas: Like you walked into a brewery's malting room. ...
•ST. PAULI N.A. ...
•O'DOUL'S PREMIUM. Aromas: Bready.

here is a more recent list [ from 2017 ]..........?!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2017 02:52PM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: DP
Date: August 11, 2017 02:50PM
I second Clausthaler and a darker brew from the same brewery called (I think) called Gerstel.

Posted by: GuyGene
Date: August 11, 2017 03:03PM
Wow Newt, you finally (smileys with beer) made a good point in your first reply!!

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: davester
Date: August 11, 2017 03:07PM
I've tried most of the NA beers out there. By far the best is Erdinger which is difficult to distinguish from real beer. Unfortunately, it is not widely sold, though it's usually available at Beverages & More. Second is Clausthaler (either of their two different brews). The rest of them don't even come close.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2017 03:07PM by davester.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: August 11, 2017 03:49PM
Why do you want to drink it?

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: August 11, 2017 04:06PM
Filliam H. Muffman
Why do you want to drink it?

Many folks, myself included, like drinking beer but do not want to get overly intoxicated. I often will drink a regular beer but then hesitate to drink another one (or two) because I don't want to get drunk or impaired such that I can't drive, be effectively amorous, and do other useful things. In these cases, a good NA beer fills the bill perfectly.

I wish they could do the same for wine, but in my experience NA wine is universally awful.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2017 04:08PM by davester.
Date: August 11, 2017 04:08PM
.....not even a fan of regular whine.......just hate it......people complaining.....ugh.....!!!

Posted by: rjmacs
Date: August 11, 2017 04:23PM
Try kombucha? It's awesome!

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: August 11, 2017 04:32PM
rjmacs
Try kombucha? It's awesome!

However, much kombucha contains alcohol, which is probably one of the main reasons people like it. It also can be toxic if not refrigerated or consumed within its sell-by date. Granted, it has quite a bit less alcohol than beer (usually half or less).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2017 04:33PM by davester.
Posted by: bfd
Date: August 11, 2017 07:54PM
At the point someone is looking for for a "good" fake beer, they may as well just drink water. Better for them and no dealing with funky aftertastes… LOL

btw, Coors and Lite taste almost like real beer…barf smiley
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 11, 2017 08:07PM
yeah, since it's really hard to make a decent NA beer, I just say drink something that has half the ABV and decide that four is enough instead of two. pounding NA beer is just... strange.
Posted by: jdc
Date: August 11, 2017 08:31PM
Coors light is perfect out in the sun playing having a dog/burger playing frisbee beer.

I love a good ale, but not while above.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: August 11, 2017 08:59PM
Clausthaler amber. Bitburger Drive is decent. Odouls is as bad as it's alcoholic brother.

Wish we had more NA beers, like Germany.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: [macswap.org] LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: billb
Date: August 11, 2017 09:56PM
just drink the koolaid

you know you want to

forget the beer-in-the-hand-one-of-the-boys peer pressure

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin

BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]

Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: August 11, 2017 10:04PM
Clausthaler is yummy.

Once we place nonhuman animals outside our sphere of moral consideration
and treat them as things we use to satisfy our own desires,
the outcome is predictable.
- Peter Singer
Date: August 11, 2017 10:06PM
....what about indecent non-alcoholic beer.....???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2017 10:11PM by NewtonMP2100.
Date: August 12, 2017 10:00AM
Report back when you decide. Enquiring minds want to know...

Posted by: $tevie
Date: August 12, 2017 10:54AM
If I was going to drink non-alcoholic beer I think Clausthaler and St. Pauli Girl were the best I've tried so far.

As for not drinking "real" beer, some people have medical issues which make an evening of beer drinking a dance with stroke or heart attack. Some people suffer from alcoholism. Some people have religious reasons. It's not very kind to get snotty about not drinking alcohol.

PS: Newt, I loved your answer, too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2017 10:55AM by $tevie.
Date: August 12, 2017 11:38AM
As I've written before, especially when folks say something like, "Alcohol is legal so why not marijuana?". You don't have to get drunk when you drink. I've had many people say to me," Why even bother? " when I bring up non-alcoholic beer.
I enjoy the taste of beer so I can drink NA when, for example, I want to enjoy a beer for lunch but have to get back to some important work.
Bottom line is there are many people who drink just to get drunk.

Posted by: M A V I C
Date: August 12, 2017 02:51PM
I drink NA beer on nearly a daily basis. I wish there were more options in the US.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: [macswap.org] LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: artie67
Date: August 12, 2017 04:15PM
I used to enjoy Michelob Amber Bock N.A. Drank Sharps also. Here's a review of N.A. beers from 2011. Humorous and candid reviews with a twist.
[www.11points.com]
Posted by: Buzz
Date: August 13, 2017 05:40PM
$tevie
If I was going to drink non-alcoholic beer I think Clausthaler and St. Pauli Girl were the best I've tried so far.

As for not drinking "real" beer, some people have medical issues which make an evening of beer drinking a dance with stroke or heart attack. Some people suffer from alcoholism. Some people have religious reasons. It's not very kind to get snotty about not drinking alcohol.

PS: Newt, I loved your answer, too.

I used to enjoy a good beer or a single malt scotch, but then around twenty-five years ago, the docs told me to cut that out of the diet due to my neuro crud. I've always been anti-drug, and anti-alcoholism, and giving up booze for the greater good was easy... chocolate OTOH, if it were banned, would be grounds for suicide. I've always gone by the mantra, "it's OK not to drink", but have always been critical when people get carried away w/ their alcohol consumption, it's just something I choose not to be around. When people around me start getting drunk, that's my cue to leave.
==
Posted by: 3d
Date: August 14, 2017 12:14PM
Mix seltzer and grapefruit juice for a non-alcoholic IPA beer tasting concoction.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 226
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015