advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $160.47 ( +0.59 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
ROCKS in my head?!.....tonight Perseid Meteor shower......
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 11, 2017 05:26PM
.........tonight....

Perseid Meteor Shower 2017: When, Where & How to See It

..... The peak of the Perseid Meteor Shower is peaking this weekend! According to NASA meteor expert Bill Cooke, the Perseids are perhaps the most popular meteor shower of the year. Typical rates are about 80 meteors an hour, but in outburst years (such as in 2016) the rate can be between 150-200 meteors an hour. The meteor shower's actual peak is around 1 p.m. EDT Aug. 12, which means that the night before and the night after will both have good rates; Cooke said the show would be slightly better in the predawn hours of Aug. 12, but that there'd be a decent show both nights.

In 2017, the Perseids will be a little more difficult to see due to the presence of the moon, which will be three-quarters full and will rise shortly before the shower hits its peak around midnight local time. (Live in a big city? Find out how to see the Perseids from urban areas here from our sister site Active Junky.)

"Rates will be about half what they would be normally, because of the bright moonlight," Cooke told Space.com. "Instead of 80 to 100, [there will be] 40 to 50 per hour. And that's just because the moon's going to wash out the fainter ones."

"But the good news is that the Perseids are rich in fireballs; otherwise the moon would really mess with them," Cooke added.
When to see them?

Earth will pass through the path of Comet Swift-Tuttle from July 17 to Aug. 24, with the shower's peak — when Earth passes through the densest, dustiest area — occurring on Aug. 12. That means you'll see the most meteors in the shortest amount of time near that peak, but you can still catch some action from the famed meteor shower before or after that point.....

nice....hot......shower tonight......?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2017 07:02PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: WASH that man right out of my hair?!.....tonight Perseid Meteor shower......
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: August 11, 2017 06:00PM
I was planning to go up into the mountains to watch it today, but given the bright moon and all the Canadian smoke in the air, I might just pass this year.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Re: WASH that man right out of my hair?!.....tonight Perseid Meteor shower......
Posted by: freeradical
Date: August 11, 2017 06:06PM
Canada Goose

Canada Smoke
Re: ROCKS in my head?!.....tonight Perseid Meteor shower......
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: August 11, 2017 09:51PM
Oh good, shooshting stars!

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: CJsNvrUrly
Date: August 12, 2017 08:26AM
It always rains when we have these events. sad smiley

bunny smileyCentral VA
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 12, 2017 11:26AM
....don't be fooled by the rocks that I got.....I'm still Jenny from the block.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: AllGold
Date: August 12, 2017 05:40PM
I saw one the other night. I wasn't expecting it or thinking about the Perseids, just happened to see one.

Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: August 13, 2017 04:22PM
Went up into the hills with the family anyway. Say 1 shooting star through the smoke. Then it started to rain at midnight. We had to pack up everything and move inside. I'm tired.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 254
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015