Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $157.86 ( 0.00 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Microsoft ruins everything
Posted by: pdq
Date: August 12, 2017 01:00PM
Well, maybe that's overstated, but I seem to be caught in a bit of an infinite loop in getting Skype to work on family computers again.

Grandpa's on an older Mini running 10.7.5 and suddenly he can't log into Skype any more (I've tried to move him to FaceTime, but he's got lots of PC-using friends, and he's Grandpa and set in his ways, y'know?). I logged out of Skype here, on an updated Mini, and I can sign in with his acct and PW no problem. I remotely took over his screen with TeamViewer (which unlike Skype, works really well!) and confirmed that what worked before (there) doesn't now.

Online, I found out that for Skype on older versions of MacOSX you now need to edit the CFBundleVersion in Skype's plist. (!?!) Let's just say this useful information does not come from Microsoft. But his Skype is now back up.

Ours, however, is now down, because apparently the fact that I signed out of our account and signed into his (on our computer) once makes Microsoft think that something bad is going on ("It looks like someone else might be using your account"), and in order to resolve this it requires me to send all sorts of info (including CC info!) that "may take up to 24 hours to review" but really only takes about 5 to tell me (via email) that wasn't enough info, even though I answered all their questions. Start over again. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Seriously, I knew Skype was f* cked when MS bought it. And so it is.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Microsoft ruins everything
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: August 12, 2017 01:12PM
Just wait until they put ads in an active sidebar that are based on keywords in your conversation.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 12, 2017 01:28PM
Unfortunately I have to use Skype with several PC users. Otherwise I would use FaceTime 100%. FT quality is so much better than Skype.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: August 12, 2017 03:08PM
Google Hangouts... @#$%& skype and the horse it rode in on...

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 12, 2017 05:04PM
Nice workaround! When Monopoly$oft shut off Skype for no reason other than they could for earlier Mac OSX versions last month, I updated the OS from Mountain Lion to Sierra. That was no picnic either; thanks for nothing, Apple.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 242
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015