advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $157.86 ( 0.00 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Story of increasing competition among wedding photographers interviews a grizzled vet of 5 years
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: August 12, 2017 09:15PM
I have been shooting wedding photos as a side gig for over 25 years now. I find it amusing that they interviewed a "more than 5 years" wedding photographer for a perspective. This means there person has been doing it for less than 6 years but they try to make it sound more serious by saying more than 5. Wedding photography competition got crazy when DSLR dropped below $2k in the late 90's. This person has no self awareness that they also were competition to others in the game for a while now. There will always be more competition willing to work for less.

[www.ksl.com]

SALT LAKE CITY — Have you noticed the increasing number of amateur to professional photographers popping up around Utah? More and more people are deciding to take the plunge into photography, making Utah a hot spot for wedding photography.

According to a state occupation report published by Projections Central and using data from the Utah Department of Employment Security, the popularity of photography in Utah is quickly growing. As of 2014, five-year projected growth within the photography industry was 10.6 percent, higher than any other state in the country. The 10-year projected growth for the state of Utah is as high as 32.8 percent, meaning the photography industry is growing greatly and quickly.

This trend has led to greater competition within the photography world. Hunter Fowler has been working as a photographer for more than five years and has noted that the increase in photographers has taken a toll on her business.

“There’s high competition, and a lot of people that don’t want to pay for quality photos because a lot of photographers will do it for next to nothing,” Fowler said.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Story of increasing competition among wedding photographers interviews a grizzled vet of 5 years
Posted by: ArtP
Date: August 12, 2017 09:37PM
I hadn't thought about it in awhile but I guess with the quality of cameras in the iPhone 6 or above - people can try and be their own "Photographer" just like they "think" they can replace the wedding DJ with a iPhone and a spotify playlist.

Technology - a blessing and a curse?
Re: Story of increasing competition among wedding photographers interviews a grizzled vet of 5 years
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: August 12, 2017 10:09PM
ArtP
I hadn't thought about it in awhile but I guess with the quality of cameras in the iPhone 6 or above - people can try and be their own "Photographer" just like they "think" they can replace the wedding DJ with a iPhone and a spotify playlist.

The major benefits of a pro photographer back in the day (vs using "Uncle Joe" who had a nice camera) were staging/lighting and the nice book you'd get at the end. These days, most "professional" photographers don't know how to set up a lighting rig and the book they deliver at the end is the same one you'd get if you went to Walmart... If you're lucky enough to get a book and not just a zip file to download from a website.

A good photographer is next to impossible to find. They're aging out of the population. Every second can't-find-work-out-of-college kid seems to want to try his hand at the business with whatever cheap SLR he can find.

Some day, we'll look back and wonder why the photos and the photo-books were so much better decades ago when the technology makes selfies look so good.

Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: August 12, 2017 10:39PM
Onamuji
ArtP

The major benefits of a pro photographer back in the day (vs using "Uncle Joe" who had a nice camera) were staging/lighting and the nice book you'd get at the end. These days, most "professional" photographers don't know how to set up a lighting rig and the book they deliver at the end is the same one you'd get if you went to Walmart... If you're lucky enough to get a book and not just a zip file to download from a website.

A good photographer is next to impossible to find. They're aging out of the population. Every second can't-find-work-out-of-college kid seems to want to try his hand at the business with whatever cheap SLR he can find.

Some day, we'll look back and wonder why the photos and the photo-books were so much better decades ago when the technology makes selfies look so good.

The value of good photography is much diminished. People are willing to settle for good enough with cousin so and so's sprouting abilities. When those photos by cousin so and so hit social media. people fawn over them and hit Like. This convinces the couple that going cheap was better to begin with.

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 13, 2017 05:13AM
pRICE cUBE
The value of good photography is much diminished. People are willing to settle for good enough with cousin so and so's sprouting abilities. When those photos by cousin so and so hit social media. people fawn over them and hit Like. This convinces the couple that going cheap was better to begin with.

This.

That you can still make a living at it, says a great deal (like you are either really good, or your living under an overpass). I loved my photography career, but it isn't something I can recommend to a young person anymore.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: August 13, 2017 07:47AM
My photography career was doing doing auto racing photography. This was semi pro as I call it, cuz I feel I was good at it, but the season was 22 weeks long and the concessions for that was a hobby more than pro. I also dd four weddings over the years. They were for friends that were short on money. All I did was get tons of pics, make proofs and let the couple choose what they wanted, what enlargements, etc. I just had them cover my cost, so I guess it was more of a wedding gift to them.

Anyway, now you have 100 people at a wedding, you have 99 cell phone cameras clicking. That alone is annoying with all the cameras sticking up all over the place, but the last wedding I attended, the pro was VERY intrusive and in everyone line of sight. Yes, photogs should have liberties to move around to get that special shot angle, but this one was just blocking the view of the bride and groom for most of the the ceremony. That just irks me, I tried read hard to NOT be intrusive and block family and friends view.

OK, my rant is done.

Dave

The secret to a long life is...

Don't do anything to shorten it.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: August 13, 2017 07:56AM
Having to be a wedding photographer would be a living he!! for me.
Posted by: DP
Date: August 13, 2017 08:16AM
When I was in school I shot weddings to make some extra money. After that little stint I said never again would I shoot weddings unless my life depended on it! I just don't have the temperament. Every single one I shot had problems with at least one person. "Why am I paying you $10 for an 8x10 when I can go down to the corner Fotomat and get an 8x10 for $5?". And so on and so forth.
I ended up with telling clients that I'd shoot the wedding, give them a set of proofs, and give them the negatives for X dollars. The rest was up to them...

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 13, 2017 10:05AM
Ten reasons why I never shot weddings --

1) a bride who is on the edge of hysteria
2) a groom who just wants to get to the honeymoon
3) a bridesmaid who wants to be the center of attention
4) a best man who wishes he could go on the honeymoon too
5) a brides mother who is a control freak
6) a brides father who is freaked about the cost of anything
7) a grooms mother who thinks the hussy bride is stealing her innocent little boy
8) a grooms father who also wishes he could go on the honeymoon
9) the 20 uncles who are shooting over your shoulder and will give away the pics for free
10) the wedding planner who thinks they know your job better than you, and make sure you know it every five minutes

(you may think the above is a joke, but anyone who has shot more than five weddings knows it isn't)

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: mspace
Date: August 13, 2017 10:10AM
You might as well be describing the music industry. Same thing . . .
Posted by: robfilms
Date: August 13, 2017 10:24AM
this should be a poster!

thanks for the share and the resulting smile winking smiley

be well.

rob

Ombligo

7) a grooms mother who thinks the hussy bride is stealing her innocent little boy
9) the 20 uncles who are shooting over your shoulder and will give away the pics for free
10) the wedding planner who thinks they know your job better than you, and make sure you know it every five minutes

(you may think the above is a joke, but anyone who has shot more than five weddings knows it isn't)
Posted by: DP
Date: August 13, 2017 10:51AM
robfilms
this should be a poster!

thanks for the share and the resulting smile winking smiley

be well.

rob

Ombligo

Yes, it should. And it's no joke.

Posted by: rgG
Date: August 13, 2017 10:51AM
This same thing happened to Graphic Designers when "Decktop Publishing" made everyone a "designer."

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: JoeH
Date: August 13, 2017 11:03AM
Yep, that is part of the reasons a woman I work with is now a library assistant after working a couple decades as a graphic designer. The supervisors and managers protected their jobs because now they could be a "designer". The publications definitely went downhill in appearance.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: August 13, 2017 11:25AM
Weddings have become over-the-top ridiculous. Lots of parasitic "consultants" and service providers sucking money out of people who could surely spend it much more wisely (like saving up for the divorce lawyers half of these couples will be hiring in a few years).

And no, I don't have a single romantic bone in my body.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2017 11:27AM by ka jowct.
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: August 13, 2017 01:31PM
Ombligo

Exactly

Dave

The secret to a long life is...

Don't do anything to shorten it.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: August 13, 2017 06:57PM
Ombligo

(you may think the above is a joke, but anyone who has attended more than five weddings knows it isn't)

FTFY...
Posted by: AllGold
Date: August 13, 2017 08:18PM
DinerDave
Anyway, now you have 100 people at a wedding, you have 99 cell phone cameras clicking. That alone is annoying with all the cameras sticking up all over the place, but the last wedding I attended, the pro was VERY intrusive and in everyone line of sight. Yes, photogs should have liberties to move around to get that special shot angle, but this one was just blocking the view of the bride and groom for most of the the ceremony. That just irks me, I tried read hard to NOT be intrusive and block family and friends view.

I disagree with you on this one. The photographer's job is to document the wedding.

Unless it is one of those "everybody bring your camera and we'll have a photo free-for-all," the purpose the guests being there is to attend the wedding.

Posted by: davester
Date: August 14, 2017 02:38PM
DinerDave
but the last wedding I attended, the pro was VERY intrusive and in everyone line of sight. Yes, photogs should have liberties to move around to get that special shot angle, but this one was just blocking the view of the bride and groom for most of the the ceremony. That just irks me, I tried read hard to NOT be intrusive and block family and friends view.

This! After going to a few weddings where the most prominent sight at the wedding was the photographer with his giant rig dancing around the couple throughout the ceremony and during the first dance (not to mention one wedding where the photography crew threw everyone out of the venue to stand in the rain while they spent an hour doing posed pictures inside) and thereby ruining the mood, my wife and I decided we did not want a pro wedding photographer. We found two friends with photography experience who agreed to take photos discreetly. As a result, our wedding photos do not have the ultra-polished cookie-cutter look of a professionally done wedding album, but they are much more personal and we prefer it that way. It was the right decision for us.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: AllGold
Date: August 14, 2017 09:53PM
But davester, if you're paying the photographer then you're the boss; you get to decide how in the way or not they should be.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 256
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015