advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
people we have lost over the years. ex: Rammie
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 13, 2017 03:27PM
space-time's thread below got me to thinking about people we have lost from this place, and one I have been wondering about is RamD (can't find the correct characters). his disappearance after the 18 years or so (!!!) I have been frequenting this and the Other Place, make me think he went to the big hard drive in the sky. but we never had a virtual memorial for him. naturally, there are others we know about, and a bunch we probably have no idea about, but his was a frequent by-line here and it's been gone for at least a year now.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: people we have lost over the years. ex: Rammie
Posted by: hal
Date: August 13, 2017 03:35PM
His name was RAMd®d. I just checked his last posts - a VERY sudden disappearance. Doesn't look good.

I don't even want to try to name others. Far too many to name. Just take a look at a very old, very popular thread and the once commonly familiar names jump out at you from all directions.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 13, 2017 03:38PM
Life goes on.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: August 13, 2017 03:39PM
There's probably a better way of listing members here but if you start a PM it gives the complete list to choose from. Many, many names I remember but have not heard from for a while.

Pasta Paul

Posted by: testcase
Date: August 13, 2017 04:09PM
Maybe we'll hear from him again in 5 ~ 7 years? RollingEyesSmiley5
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: August 13, 2017 04:17PM
HighwayStar is another that stopped posting, but I think he was a case of needing to spend more time offline.

Going through the user list, there's almost too many to list.
h' (Black, took a break, never to return?)
microchip
DaviDC.
dmann
honu

Going through the list, there are several user names I recognize from the old place but I don't see any posts from them. I also haven't gotten an email from Jimmypoo in about 4 months. We would occasionally send friendly insults after he got banned.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: davemchine
Date: August 13, 2017 04:44PM
HighwayStar is sometimes available on AOL Chat as hwystarg5. We had a chat session a few months ago. He is still kicking.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 13, 2017 04:55PM
.....looking through old posts......a lot of regulars either no longer post or only lurk.......posts have really slowed down....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Pam
Date: August 13, 2017 05:29PM
Honu is alive and well. Married, two kids, thriving business... busy life.

RAM concerns me greatly.
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 13, 2017 05:30PM
Panopticon

BGnR (Big Guy and Rusty?)

Black

dmann

just a few that come to mind, although I would like to hope the last 2 are still happy in Chicago, but for some reason or another no longer visit the forum.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 13, 2017 05:38PM
Black wanted time away; whether he returns, only time will tell.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Date: August 13, 2017 05:58PM
I'm shocked Black has remained away - I thought he was a lifer for sure...
Posted by: rgG
Date: August 13, 2017 06:38PM
BGnR is no longer in life.

I do not know about the others.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 13, 2017 08:36PM
rgG

Elaborate, please? I know he got himself banned from the forum, but are you say he has passed on IRL?

It is what it is.
Posted by: gabester
Date: August 13, 2017 09:05PM
Some of these MRFriends may have dropped from forum because they may have set their browser to remember the password to the site.

Then calamity strikes or they upgrade - and then lost the browser cached password, and forgotten the password. The password recovery link was broken for a while, and as the MRP-Admin has recently said during the suggested "Invite a Friend" day link last week, the vast majority of new account requests are spam. So legitimate requests to rejoin or request a password reset may be getting lost in the mix.

In my case I was lucky enough to have a couple forum members emails, and asked them to put in a good word through the site to get me straightened out. Not everyone may be so lucky or resourceful.

At least, that is my optimistic hope for these former regulars who seem to have gone dark... that they are lurking, and waiting, hoping that somehow their account access will get fixed. If they have passed into the stardust from whence we all arose, may they be at peace with the universe.
Date: August 13, 2017 09:20PM
N-OS X-tasy!
rgG

Elaborate, please? I know he got himself banned from the forum, but are you say he has passed on IRL?

Yes, he died back in 2010. I found out about it when I was a mod. He did not want any mention of it on the forum. I think after seven years it is ok to mention it now.

Date: August 13, 2017 09:39PM
That's certainly odd - he went through the trouble to make sure that SOMEONE here knew when he died, but didn't want the info posted?
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 13, 2017 09:40PM
rgG
N-OS X-tasy!
rgG

Yes, he died back in 2010. I found out about it when I was a mod. He did not want any mention of it on the forum. I think after seven years it is ok to mention it now.

His obituary was a good read. We had a love/hate relationship depending on his mood and pain level. I can REALLY relate to that. (just popped 2 muscle relaxers and 2 tylenol)
Date: August 13, 2017 09:48PM
Rusty was an @#$%& during most of the time he was on the forum, at least to me. I'm sorry to hear he passed away and that it may have involved some pain, but I can not truthfully say that I miss him.

RAMmie, OTOH, I miss greatly. I hope he is well.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2017 09:49PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Date: August 13, 2017 09:56PM
hal
That's certainly odd - he went through the trouble to make sure that SOMEONE here knew when he died, but didn't want the info posted?

Well, he didn't exactly make sure that someone knew. Just someone knew and by sort of a friend of a friend type thing, the mods found out.
I think it was sort of inferred that he didn't want an announcement made, by the person who told us, and that was communicated to the mods at the time.
I agree that it was a weird situation but we tried to respect what we thought were his wishes.

Posted by: GGD
Date: August 13, 2017 10:02PM
These were his last two posts, he came back on Feb 27, 2010 to let everyone know that he had not been banned as some had thought.

[forums.macresource.com]

BigGuynRusty
I was Not Booted Moran, I Left on my own accord.
Frakkin' IceHoles!!!!!!!!

-BGnR

[forums.macresource.com]

BigGuynRusty
Man, I decide to leave this JerkWater Town, and all you folks do is attribute all your Fears, Uncertainties, and Doubts to BGnR!!!!!!
I was not Banned folk, never Black Listed, I just Moved, and MovedOn folks!!!!!!
Get Over It, Get Over Me!!!

-BGnR

I wonder how close that was to when he passed away.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2017 10:12PM by GGD.
Date: August 13, 2017 10:10PM
GGD
These were his last two posts, he came back on Feb 27, 2010 to let everyone know that he had not been banned as some had thought.

[forums.macresource.com]
[forums.macresource.com]

I wonder how close that was to when he passed away.

Looking back in my PMs it looks like it was around the end of March 2010

Posted by: freeradical
Date: August 13, 2017 10:31PM
JFC...It's frightening how quickly time passes. It seems like 2010 was only yesterday.
Posted by: blooz
Date: August 13, 2017 10:57PM
Yeah, I'd like to know about Rammie. I didn't share his gun views, but I respected his intelligence and agreed on other things with him.
The wheel of time rolls on and eventually we all get left behind. All we can do is honor the memories of those who touched us.
And, to the surprise of the guy I was 20 years ago, I have been touched by many on this forum who I have never met in the flesh. Alpha Dog, still remember you.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: bfd
Date: August 13, 2017 11:39PM
Very surprised Minty hasn't been mentioned. He was a good egg.
Posted by: wave rider
Date: August 14, 2017 02:01AM
bfd
Very surprised Minty hasn't been mentioned. He was a good egg.

I always think of him when I watch the Cubs play...

=wr=
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: August 14, 2017 04:14AM
freeradical
JFC...It's frightening how quickly time passes. It seems like 2010 was only yesterday.

Don't scare me, I feel like 2000 was only yesterday today.
Posted by: DP
Date: August 14, 2017 06:34AM
No one's bringing up Rudie?

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: TLB
Date: August 14, 2017 08:11AM
RGM, Lope, Spearmint, AlphaDog GtDS, MacGurl, reaching way back to name a few more. I'm mostly a lurker but I've seen a lot of changes in 20 years across the two forums.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 14, 2017 09:09AM
Gawd... I still weep over the arc of life and suffering and death that embraced MacGurl and GTdS... A Lifetime channel movie there without any happy endings. It all started so sweetly, and then after a few happy years disease/depression took them both in the course of two years.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: August 14, 2017 09:51AM
Hi everyone,

Sad to hear about the passing of BGnR. While he and I had a raucous relationship at times, I did have multiple opportunities to speak with him outside of the forum. Deep inside, I believe he had a big heart but was facing many difficulties.

Robert
Posted by: Janit
Date: August 14, 2017 10:21AM
cbelt3
Gawd... I still weep over the arc of life and suffering and death that embraced MacGurl and GTdS... A Lifetime channel movie there without any happy endings. It all started so sweetly, and then after a few happy years disease/depression took them both in the course of two years.

cry smiley
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: August 14, 2017 10:23AM
Gutenberg. Lost way too soon.
Date: August 14, 2017 10:55AM
Feel free to PM me with any details for certain individuals if you want to have an annual remembrance.

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 14, 2017 11:09AM
The Celebration Fairy
Feel free to PM me with any details for certain individuals if you want to have an annual remembrance.

maybe it would be better to just have a single forum remembrance day every year. A single post with the names of those who we've lost, then everyone else can weigh in as they wish.

Just a thought.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Robert M
Date: August 14, 2017 11:15AM
Omb,

I second your idea! Definitely a good one.

Robert
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: August 14, 2017 11:16AM
Every so often, FB will pop up a "on this day X years ago" post and I will click on the comments and there will be one from GtDS. Still hits me that he's gone.
Posted by: wave rider
Date: August 14, 2017 11:56AM
Shakeman?

Or did he just change handles?

=wr=
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: August 14, 2017 12:04PM
I most definitely miss 'Minty, Gutenberg, GtDS, MacGurl, and AlphaDog.... and I do wonder where some others have gone.

I would definitely vote for a "Rememberance Day" with handles and real names for those we know have passed away. I would not violate the privacy of the ones whose names we may know, but just "disappeared".

I just voted in the poll at the top of the Forum.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: August 14, 2017 12:44PM
Two recent MIAs that have me worried. Jack D. Hasn't posted in 9 months. His posts of his Basset, Louie, always made me laugh. Here is his last post:

[forums.macresource.com]

RgrF. hasn't posted in 4 months. I know he had some health issues, I hope he is doing well.

I liked Wailer's posts from a few years ago. That poster had a TON of useful info, especially about stocks, AAPL in particular. Too bad a few MR jackasses got him/her POed and left for good. I was really sorry to see Wailer leave.

[forums.macresource.com]

And finally, how about Tempe? The guy or gal who posted on the DM forums and when the DM moderators started going nuts, started a forum just before Larry started the MR forums and everyone flowed here instead of Tempe's place.

I'm sure there are many more MIA/RIP missing from here I can't think of.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: GGD
Date: August 14, 2017 01:38PM
Another member to be concerned about is Go To Top.

This was the past post on March 8th, last activity was March 29th.

[forums.macresource.com]

Go To Top
Went to hospital, flew on emergency copter, my iPhone stolen
Posted by: Go To Top [PM] [Ignore this user]
Date: March 08, 2017 07:31AM

And today is my bday.

Where to start on recovery.

Released last nite from Hospital
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: August 14, 2017 01:42PM
I kind of assumed that Go To Tops absence was not good news, given his last post. :-(

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 14, 2017 02:58PM
Rick-o
Two recent MIAs that have me worried. Jack D. Hasn't posted in 9 months. His posts of his Basset, Louie, always made me laugh. Here is his last post:

[forums.macresource.com]

RgrF. hasn't posted in 4 months. I know he had some health issues, I hope he is doing well.

I liked Wailer's posts from a few years ago. That poster had a TON of useful info, especially about stocks, AAPL in particular. Too bad a few MR jackasses got him/her POed and left for good. I was really sorry to see Wailer leave.

[forums.macresource.com]

And finally, how about Tempe? The guy or gal who posted on the DM forums and when the DM moderators started going nuts, started a forum just before Larry started the MR forums and everyone flowed here instead of Tempe's place.

I'm sure there are many more MIA/RIP missing from here I can't think of.

my PM to Rgr went unanswered (although not totally unusual, given his long time interval before answering some of those). actually, I searched his name and did not come up with anything bad in the newspapers.
Date: August 14, 2017 03:22PM
mrbigstuff
my PM to Rgr went unanswered (although not totally unusual, given his long time interval before answering some of those). actually, I searched his name and did not come up with anything bad in the newspapers.

His last post at AS was made five years ago - no help there.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Tiki2000
Date: August 14, 2017 03:30PM
One member I remember posting for years but I haven't read in over 6 months is Silvarios. However, I seem to recall something mentioned about taking a break....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 14, 2017 03:38PM
Tiki2000
One member I remember posting for years but I haven't read in over 6 months is Silvarios. However, I seem to recall something mentioned about taking a break....

.....he decided to take a permanent break....he closed his account.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: August 14, 2017 04:07PM
NewtonMP2100
Tiki2000

.....he decided to take a permanent break....he closed his account.....

Maybe he finally found his ultimate gaming machine.

It is what it is.
Posted by: The Birthday Fairy
Date: August 14, 2017 04:20PM
Although retired I'm still here.
Posted by: MikeF
Date: August 14, 2017 05:56PM
Considering there have been 6,000+ usernames registered, kind of hard to keep track of everyone that comes and goes. Would need some kind of threshold -- like people with 10,000+ posts that suddenly stop (which wouldn't include me).
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 14, 2017 07:47PM
Robert M
Hi everyone,

Sad to hear about the passing of BGnR. While he and I had a raucous relationship at times, I did have multiple opportunities to speak with him outside of the forum. Deep inside, I believe he had a big heart but was facing many difficulties.

Robert

yup. My experience of him as well. He asked for my address once, and, warily I gave it to him. A coveted RadioShack USB scale showed up in the mail next week.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 195
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020