advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $151.89 ( -1.50 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I think I waited too late...any eclipse glasses or solar film available anywhere?
Posted by: davester
Date: August 15, 2017 06:23PM
It'd be nice to have some solar film to put on the front of my binoculars but nothing seems to be available. Anybody know of any places that aren't yet sold out and can ship quickly?

My Plan B is to go to one of the local science museums. Fortunately there's one 1/4 mile from my office and an observatory a few miles away.

Plan C is to turn my binoculars into a projection telescope by using a couple of bits of cardboard and a tripod.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I think I waited too late...any eclipse glasses or solar film available anywhere?
Posted by: Z
Date: August 15, 2017 06:54PM
I thought there was the setup for local libraries?
[eclipse2017.nasa.gov]

I guess that was only for events at the library...
Re: I think I waited too late...any eclipse glasses or solar film available anywhere?
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: August 15, 2017 07:12PM
There are several hundred, maybe thousands of libraries giving them away.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Pam
Date: August 15, 2017 07:24PM
Scroll down to filters. You may be able to find a vendor who can still ship in time.

[eclipse.aas.org]
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: August 15, 2017 07:27PM
check welding supply shops too. Welding goggles should be sufficient.

Some other options courtesy of Cody's Lab
Pinhole Sun Viewer:
[www.youtube.com]

Welding Goggles:
[www.youtube.com]

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: August 15, 2017 07:52PM
Try Walmart (this is actually a single pack, contrary to the picture):

[brickseek.com]

Again, I can't stress enough, don't tell the Walmart employees you found this information on Brickseek...just give them the UPC (if you can't find the item easily in store) and say you saw it listed on Walmart's own website.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 15, 2017 07:58PM
putting "solar film" in front of your binoculars would be a crapshoot. what if it's not up to regulation and you burn your cornea out?
Posted by: neophyte
Date: August 15, 2017 08:06PM
My local libraries ran out of free glasses the day they arrived last week. We are in the totality zone.

But my bank (TD Bank) offered me 2 free pairs when I went in yesterday. Try your bank?
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 15, 2017 08:07PM
ztirffritz
check welding supply shops too. Welding goggles should be sufficient.

It needs to be #13 or above - few shops stock that.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2017 08:08PM by Ombligo.
Posted by: davester
Date: August 15, 2017 08:57PM
mrbigstuff
putting "solar film" in front of your binoculars would be a crapshoot. what if it's not up to regulation and you burn your cornea out?

I would only use solar film from one of the AAS-approved vendors, and that would be perfectly safe.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: TLB
Date: August 16, 2017 08:06AM
Libraries - out
Museums - out
TV Stations - out
Lowes - out
Walmart -out
Posted by: DavidS
Date: August 16, 2017 09:01AM
Pretty much everywhere in Atlanta is sold out. I saw them last week at Kroger and forgot to buy a couple pair.

B&H Photo in NY is expecting more in stock tomorrow. They are taking orders again, but only for 10-packs for $45 including shipping. I just placed an order. They are sending them next day shipping. Hopefully they'll get here on Friday or Saturday.

[www.bhphotovideo.com]
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 16, 2017 09:18AM
....the...'eyes'.......have it....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: JEBB
Date: August 16, 2017 10:01AM
The indirect method is much, much safer and you get the same view.
Posted by: rz
Date: August 16, 2017 02:54PM
JEBB

That's like saying "watching it on TV is the same as seeing it in person".
Posted by: August West
Date: August 16, 2017 08:03PM
i used adorama.

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 17, 2017 04:55PM
rz
JEBB

That's like saying "watching it on TV is the same as seeing it in person".

That's like saying seeing it online is the same as doing it in person. Wait ...
Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 17, 2017 04:56PM
After an Amazon debacle, we picked up a few pairs today at the local school district office.

So check Facebook for nearby school districts, since they tend to post messages there better than their own websites.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 306
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015