advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Poll: Would you pay up to $50 to watch new movies on iTunes & skip theaters?
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: August 19, 2017 12:34PM
Poll
59 votes were received.
All visitors can vote.
Would you pat $50 to see new movies on iTunes?

[www.cultofmac.com]

Hollywood is pushing for iTunes to show the latest blockbuster movies just weeks after they hit the theater.

Sources say a deal between Apple and a number of major studios could be signed as early as next year without the blessing of theater chains. However, talks are currently held up over the price that Hollywood wants to charge for new rentals.

The big screen experience isn’t cheap these days, and most of us are happy to choose streaming services like Netflix, which let us binge on as many movies and TV shows as we want for a fixed monthly fee, over seeing the latest hits on as soon as they hit the box office.

As a result, the theater industry is no longer booming like it once was, and sales of physical films on DVD and Blu-ray are falling. PwC expects U.S. box office revenue to grow just 1.6 percent over the next four years, while streaming services grow 11.3 percent.

In an effort to grab a piece of the streaming pie, Hollywood is looking for new ways to sell its latest movies.

Bloomberg reports that Universal Pictures and Warner Bros. have been in talks with the likes of Apple and Comcast to push for digital sales and rentals that would be available just two weeks after a new movie hits the box office.

It’s thought cinema chains haven’t been included in the talks for now, but when they are, they’ll be given an ultimatum: “Agree to a deal, or we’ll start selling the movie downloads anyway.”

There are a couple of things holding up the talks right now, however. One sticking point is the fees; studios want to charge about $50 for a movie around 17 days after its box office release, and about $30 after around four to six weeks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2017 01:01PM by pRICE cUBE.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Would you pay up to $50 to watch new movies on iTunes & skip theaters?
Posted by: rgG
Date: August 19, 2017 12:39PM
Oh hell no.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: jdc
Date: August 19, 2017 12:40PM
$50 for a family of four = same cost as 4 tickets.

moviepass is more interesting right now -- even more appeadling since the 2 movie theaters we prefer both take it, and the theaters both offer pre-buy seating.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: tortoise
Date: August 19, 2017 12:41PM
pRICE cUBE
[www.cultofmac.com]

There are a couple of things holding up the talks right now, however. One sticking point is the fees; studios want to charge about $50 for a movie around 17 days after its box office release, and about $30 after around four to six weeks.[/i]

They really don't have a clue, not that many good movies these days, most are just a stream of action chases and special effects with little or no pretense at a real story. Most of our media are just copies of foreign productions and our family watches mostly foreign TV productions and we seldom go to the theater given the high costs and lack of decent quality.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: August 19, 2017 12:44PM
It's a better experience at home, and when you consider how costly it is to take a family to the movies, you'd think people would be willing to pay.

But no way for me. I can barely rationalize $5.99 to stream something that has been recently released, and I find it hard to rationalize purchasing a BD of something for $20. Not because I'm cheap (which I am) but because it's just not that important to me.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 19, 2017 12:50PM
....saw that posted a few weeks ago.....it only makes sense for a large family but a lot of people have stopped going to movie theaters because of all the distractions.....people talking, cell phones, texting, etc.....sometimes people laugh so loud you can't even hear the dialogue on screen......

.....why pay $50 when you can wait a few months and watch on DVD at home......for free from the library.....?? the time from theaters to DVD has shortened and is usually just 2-3 months (in the past it could take a year but now any more ).....

....no movie is so great that one has to watch it right now.....the studios want consumers to think they do to squeeze money out of them....

......and there is the "I have to have it now" mindset that people have today....I don't have to watch it right now......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2017 02:14PM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: billb
Date: August 19, 2017 01:03PM
At these kinds of prices:

"Grampa, will you take us to see Leap ?"
maybe but more likely rarely

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Re: Poll: Would you pay up to $50 to watch new movies on iTunes & skip theaters?
Posted by: Pam
Date: August 19, 2017 01:13PM
$50 for one movie? They are out of their minds!
Re: Poll: Would you pay up to $50 to watch new movies on iTunes & skip theaters?
Date: August 19, 2017 01:26PM
Pam
$50 for one movie? They are out of their minds!

See above.

----

Posted by: ka jowct
Date: August 19, 2017 01:27PM
tortoise
pRICE cUBE
[www.cultofmac.com]

There are a couple of things holding up the talks right now, however. One sticking point is the fees; studios want to charge about $50 for a movie around 17 days after its box office release, and about $30 after around four to six weeks.[/i]

They really don't have a clue, not that many good movies these days, most are just a stream of action chases and special effects with little or no pretense at a real story. Most of our media are just copies of foreign productions and our family watches mostly foreign TV productions and we seldom go to the theater given the high costs and lack of decent quality.

So true. Even if my schedule permitted, there's nothing that I want to see.
Posted by: vision63
Date: August 19, 2017 01:41PM
I would not.
Posted by: rz
Date: August 19, 2017 01:49PM
I probably average 2-3 movies a YEAR in the theater. Was less than that before my son was born. Some movies are meant to be experienced in the theater. LOTR and the Hobbit trilogy were ones I wanted to experience in the theater. Also, the new Star Wars movies. Other than that, the last movie I saw in the theater was Captain Underpants. Before that was Lego Batman. Before that was probably Secret Life of Pets. Are you sensing a theme here?
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: August 19, 2017 01:59PM
No way. If I'm going to spend that much on a movie I want the theater experience. They have $5 Tuesdays at the nice Marcus theater near us and that includes reserved seating in a dreamlounger and a free small popcorn for being a rewards member. Costs us about $30 total for 3 after drinks.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: graylocks
Date: August 19, 2017 02:07PM
most movies i'm fine with waiting and watching at home for next to nothing. the rare times i go to the theater are because i feel the picture was meant for the big screen experience and even then i go for the bargain matinée. my son and i have a rating system we smirkingly use after viewing a trailer:

first run
dollar theater
stream
hell no!

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: rgG
Date: August 19, 2017 02:35PM
We have a nice theater close to us that has $5.50 weekend early matinees. My husband and I like to take in the early Sunday movies, but we went today, since I am busy tomorrow. $11.00 for two is a good price.

I balk at paying $10 and up to see a movie, and that is cheap compared to some places.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: JoeH
Date: August 19, 2017 02:52PM
Might make sense for a family, but for me not a chance. I do still occasionally go to a theater for a movie that deserves seeing on a big screen, but at home there is just me and my adult son.
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 19, 2017 03:15PM
$50 to rent or buy?
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: August 19, 2017 03:34PM
$50 for a family of five is a bargain, especially when you factor in no noisy crowds, no texting/talking idiots, no screaming kids, no travel time, and cheap snacks/drinks/popcorn, not to mention the ability to pause the movie and to use a bathroom with an actual towel rather than a gentle breeze machine.

Date: August 19, 2017 03:42PM
Zoidberg
$50 for a family of five is a bargain, especially when you factor in no noisy crowds, no texting/talking idiots, no screaming kids, no travel time, and cheap snacks/drinks/popcorn, not to mention the ability to pause the movie and to use a bathroom with an actual towel rather than a gentle breeze machine.

The key to avoid that is places like Studio Movie Grill, or similar -- with assigned seating, luxury chairs and huge aisle.

On $5 tuesdays, I sometimes buy a 5th seat so there is one empty between me and the next person. =)

----

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: August 19, 2017 03:43PM
Even if I was a frequent iTunes customer, I would NOT consider it until iTunes starts carrying them as 4K movies.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Michael
Date: August 19, 2017 04:02PM
I've only recently been willing to spend $.10 to rent a movie when Vudu has their occasional sales.
Date: August 19, 2017 04:28PM
yeah, but after you win powerball, this could be your "home" theater... =)

outside:

inside:

For a cool $12 M -- [youtu.be]

----

Posted by: Rick-o
Date: August 19, 2017 05:56PM
Nope. I'm pretty much a cheapskate. Plus, The whole movie theater experience was ruined for me many years ago by folks in the audience that can't keep their mouths shut. Especially annoying are young kids dropped off by parents. The kids seemed to be more interested in talking with their friends and getting up every 5 minutes, disturbing anyone sitting nearby. NO THANKS!

It's been 30+ years since I've stepped into a theater. I can enjoy $4.99 iTunes budget flicks on my set, as well as my large library of ripped DVDs.

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: bfd
Date: August 19, 2017 09:16PM
It's hard to get enthused about going to the movies unless you're going to one of the premium outlets. The pricing tends to keep some of the riff-raff out, but all of a sudden, you're talking about the same amount as what's being talked about here. By the time you go to a place like Cineopolis or one of the other boutique theaters and buy any of their cool, but very over-priced snacks, you're well over $50.

… it's great to not have a bunch of doofuses sitting in front of and behind you making noise and playing with their iPhones throughout the entire movie, but you pay for it.
Posted by: gabester
Date: August 19, 2017 10:56PM
Heck no. I'd think about $30, if I indeed had a family of four, but realistically I'd probably invite some neighbors over too to split the cost a bit more, so say $4-6 average per person at the lower cost.

$50 is just too much when the disc is $15-30 depending on features et cetera. And generally I can wait, if I've missed the opportunity to see it in theaters. But then maybe people around where I live just aren't so horrible - there's occasionally a texter or some kids ruining things for a minute, but other patrons will just tell them to knock it off.
g=
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: August 19, 2017 11:44PM
I'll pay the movie industry $50 to stream a movie on opening night if they build me a media room with a big screen, recliner seats, and a multi-channel sound system. Otherwise, I'm thinking $10-15 is more reasonable.

If they save money, I should too.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 20, 2017 01:51AM
No way. We are perfectly happy waiting til a movie hits our local second run theater if we really want a big screen experience. They even do 3D. Or I get the DVD from the library. I scan the on-order DVDs several times a week, and request them before others even know they are on order.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 20, 2017 04:52AM
rgG
Oh hell no.

Exactly what I was going to say.

It is what it is.
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: August 20, 2017 07:40AM
NewtonMP2100
....saw that posted a few weeks ago.....it only makes sense for a large family but a lot of people have stopped going to movie theaters because of all the distractions.....people talking, cell phones, texting, etc.....sometimes people laugh so loud you can't even hear the dialogue on screen......

.....why pay $50 when you can wait a few months and watch on DVD at home......for free from the library.....?? the time from theaters to DVD has shortened and is usually just 2-3 months (in the past it could take a year but now any more ).....

....no movie is so great that one has to watch it right now.....the studios want consumers to think they do to squeeze money out of them....

......and there is the "I have to have it now" mindset that people have today....I don't have to watch it right now......

agree smiley

But, for some, $50 to satisfy instant gratification and experience the much hyped film with their like-minded friends is money well spent. Given that this is a voluntary tax to keep the industry alive, I'm not against it. I'll never pay it though.

Edit: I'm not unhappy if Apple would get 30% of this. I'd rather AAPL have the money than the big studios.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2017 07:48AM by TheTominator.
Date: August 20, 2017 11:29AM
bfd
It's hard to get enthused about going to the movies unless you're going to one of the premium outlets. ...

FWIW, our Studio Movie Grill is the same price as any other theater. Its $12 on the weekends, $9 on weekdays, $8 matinee and $5 tuesdays anytime.

Plus full menu and full bar. Nothing crazy on the menu. Most everything is about $10. Its actually about the same price hitting up some chain (chilis, outback, red robin, etc) and then the movie.

You can put your legs straight out in front of you an not touch the chair in the next aisle.

[www.studiomoviegrill.com]

----

Posted by: GuyGene
Date: August 20, 2017 12:54PM
For the junk they produce? Like rG said!

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 196
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015