advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Did you get mooned today? (Did you look at the eclipse?)
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: August 21, 2017 03:02PM
Poll
77 votes were received.
All visitors can vote.
Did you view the eclipse?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Did you get mooned today? (Did you look at the eclipse?)
Posted by: billb
Date: August 21, 2017 03:05PM

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: riley5108
Date: August 21, 2017 03:25PM
No, didn't have any protective glasses, plus it was overcast.

- Riley
Southern Indiana, B-Town
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: August 21, 2017 03:26PM
Only 66% covered here, did not get glasses to look at the sun, scared off by reports of so many fake eclipse glasses out there. The effect was cool, however, not like a cloud was covering the sun, it was more "muted", almost like a photoshop effect.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: August 21, 2017 03:26PM
Si. I saw.

smoking smiley Take that nasty cemetary stick out...

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2017 03:28PM by GuyGene.
Posted by: TLB
Date: August 21, 2017 03:50PM
It was a bust, too cloudy. We were supposed to be 87% but it didn't even seem noticeably darker than a normal cloudy day.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: August 21, 2017 04:08PM
92% in E WA, clear skies.

I came, I saw, I cowered.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2017 04:08PM by lost in space.
Posted by: bfd
Date: August 21, 2017 04:22PM
Literally at the last minute found glasses from 1992 - LOL - still in the package. Recalled running into them a few months back and "putting them in a safe place" for this eclipse (which obviously was promptly forgotten). Something this morning led directly to where they'd been safely stashed. SMH

All's well that ends well.smiley-laughing001

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2017 04:26PM by bfd.
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: August 21, 2017 04:28PM
Very dramatic here in Carbondale. 100% and 2:40 totality. Became quite dark, and cooled off noticeably. The light, as it got darker and darker, was very weird. It reminded me of "night time" shots in old movies, especially westerns, when they'd shoot in the bright daylight but with filters to underexpose the film to make it look dark. It was as dark as late dusk, but the shadows were all wrong.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 21, 2017 04:31PM
Yep, and like others, I didn't need any eye protection because it was cloudy. But it did get noticeably darker (82.2% here).

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Acer
Date: August 21, 2017 04:34PM
Had the family on the front porch, all decked out in $1 B&H glasses for a respectable but not apocalyptic 80%. Now I have the challenge of keeping track of the glasses for the 2024 eclipse; for that one the totality band will pass with 60 miles of home, so it may be worth the trip if the April skies will be clear.
Posted by: DP
Date: August 21, 2017 05:00PM
Had some clouds and I looked once at it wearing sunglasses. About a split second when it was just barely visible in a cloud.
The rest of it I'll post in a little bit. So yes, I looked at it directly and the memory is etched on my memory and burned into my retinas!

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: August 21, 2017 05:12PM
Saw it, looked through a friend's glasses and it was better than I expected. Did the binocular projection for other people in our building and I forgot how well that actually works, the sun is quite bright projected on some white paper at a decent 3-4 inch size.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: August 21, 2017 05:18PM
Missed it but how cool is this!

This composite image, made from four frames, shows the International Space Station, with a crew of six onboard, as it transits the Sun at roughly five miles per second during a partial solar eclipse, from Northern Cascades National Park in Washingtron.
Date: August 21, 2017 05:21PM
Ok, how did they get those shots and with such clarity?

Steve G.

This composite image, made from four frames, shows the International Space Station, with a crew of six onboard, as it transits the Sun at roughly five miles per second during a partial solar eclipse, from Northern Cascades National Park in Washingtron.

Posted by: Rick-o
Date: August 21, 2017 05:24PM
I'll catch it next time and I'm betting I'll find a real good deal on some glasses tomorrow!

But seriously, I went to a site that showed when it would take place in my area, and it just got a little dark, like a storm was approaching (we had thunderstorms in the forecast) so, nothing dramatic around here.

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: $tevie
Date: August 21, 2017 05:26PM
Acer
Had the family on the front porch, all decked out in $1 B&H glasses for a respectable but not apocalyptic 80%. Now I have the challenge of keeping track of the glasses for the 2024 eclipse; for that one the totality band will pass with 60 miles of home, so it may be worth the trip if the April skies will be clear.
I keep hearing that the shelf life on these glasses is three years. You might want to find out if that is true or not.

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 21, 2017 05:33PM
It was suppose to be heavy clouds, but was actually pretty clear. I made a pinhole viewer, plus there were some others with glasses who shared. We had 86% coverage, which was still quite noticeable.

I can hardly wait for when we get 100% in the 2045 eclipse.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: MindMeld
Date: August 21, 2017 05:35PM
We had totality here in Brevard, NC. Watching the moon slowly nibble away at the sun was fascinating, but watching totality was spectacular. The whole area got much darker, the landscape lighting came on and the temperature dropped 8-10 degrees. Seeing the corona of the sun around the moon with its red and yellow coloring was just amazing and the bright diamond shape light that appeared in the upper right quadrant just as the sun started to come out on the other side was an awesome sight. Fortunately this was practically in our backyard at the Brevard Music Center.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: August 21, 2017 05:56PM
CBS was broadcasting from Carbondale, Uncle Wig. I watched it on TV, too tired to go back out at 2:44, and I didn't have protective eye gear. If I'm still alive and kicked by in 2024, I should get a good view.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2017 05:57PM by ka jowct.
Date: August 21, 2017 06:24PM
Ombligo

Same here but ours is in 2099.

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 21, 2017 06:34PM
Speedy
Ombligo

Same here but ours is in 2099.

by 2099, Speedy's nick may be Shuffler

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: billb
Date: August 21, 2017 06:38PM
Speedy
Ok, how did they get those shots and with such clarity?

Steve G.

You can tell it's fake, everybody knows there's really only one ISS.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: neophyte
Date: August 21, 2017 07:05PM
I kept driving to get out from under clouds. Started at about 25% eclipse coverage when low clouds moved in, drove roughly parallel to the eclipse path, ended up about 15 miles from my starting point, just on the edge of the cloud cover. But saw totality for over 2 minutes. Guy next to me (professional photographer) had a great telescope, filter, and camera setup, we saw Bailys Beads. I could not capture images with my phone camera; at less than totality even with a filter the sun was too bright to see any eclipse effect, and at totality the filter blocked all light to the camera yet without the filter it was still too bright! When the photog posts his pictures on his website I'll download them. But for now, I am so happy to have seen a total eclipse. I may not be around for the next one.

Oh, and I saw Venus....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2017 07:14PM by neophyte.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: August 21, 2017 07:13PM
100% totality in Helen, GA. Fantastic, and totally worth the trip. Even though the drive back to Atlanta s-u-c-k-e-d.
Posted by: m.paris
Date: August 21, 2017 07:35PM
Traveled to just south of Harrison NE (quite a ways away) for clear skies and about two minutes of totality. Partials are interesting but, like the Grand Canyon, only being there can do justice to a total eclipse. Pictures and videos pale in comparison to the real thing. Not only did we get a good view of the corona, we also saw the ripples on the ground (some kind of diffraction effect(?) that I have heard about and the 360-degree sunset. It was sooo neat!
Posted by: AllGold
Date: August 21, 2017 08:14PM
The minor league baseball team here had a noon game already scheduled so they made it into an "Eclipse Day" and gave out free viewing glasses.

[www.lansingstatejournal.com]

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 21, 2017 08:27PM
80% here. Partly cloudy, but the haze was just right. They were handing out #12 shade lenses at work (*cough*... we kind of sell them...) and I had my welding helmet with a LARGE #12 lens in it. We all kind of congregated out of the office in the parking lot and passed around the lenses. It was the first time I've ever directly viewed even a partial eclipse.. VERY cool. I am looking forward to 2024, but considering Cleveland I fully expect it will be snowing that day. I looked under the trees nearby but there was no 'lensing' pattern illumination on the ground alas.
Date: August 21, 2017 08:30PM
m.paris
Traveled to just south of Harrison NE (quite a ways away) for clear skies and about two minutes of totality. Partials are interesting but, like the Grand Canyon, only being there can do justice to a total eclipse. Pictures and videos pale in comparison to the real thing. Not only did we get a good view of the corona, we also saw the ripples on the ground (some kind of diffraction effect(?) that I have heard about and the 360-degree sunset. It was sooo neat!

I'm envious. I gave serious consideration to traveling to NE but decided the weather might make the long drive be for naught so I skipped. Thank you for the description!

Posted by: Acer
Date: August 21, 2017 09:07PM
$tevie
Acer
I keep hearing that the shelf life on these glasses is three years. You might want to find out if that is true or not.

I checked that out and NASA says that glasses compliant with the current ISO standard don't expire.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: August 21, 2017 09:26PM
Totality from Solartown, in Madras, OR. It was a madhouse, thousands of people in RV's, car camping, and daytrippers like us. My sister made us leave at 2am for the 1.5 hr drive, fearing outrageous traffic (there was none, not even at 4am or 6am). The temperature and lighting change towards totality was surreal. The crowd erupted in cheers at totality while surrounded by a 360 degree "sunset" at the horizon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2017 02:40PM by Gareth.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: August 22, 2017 10:54AM
I lucked out in a last-minute change of plans, so I was near Nashville, in the path of totality. Sky was pretty much cloudless. The temperature dropped noticeably and the ambient light got very eerie. During totality, the chickens across the road went quiet and a coyote howled down by the river. I lay on my back on the driveway to look directly at the corona, which was larger and more indistinct than I expected.

It didn't get as dark as I expected; but there was the kind of reddish glow you get at dawn or dusk at the horizon—except it was on all sides of us. As the end of totality approached, it seemed like I could see some brighter spots in random places on the moon: perhaps the mountains of the moon being illuminated by the first glancing rays of sunlight? And then a pinpoint of direct sunlight at the lower right, and it was time to put the glasses back on, and a minute later the show was pretty much over.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: August 22, 2017 11:24AM
Will Collier
100% totality in Helen, GA. Fantastic, and totally worth the trip. Even though the drive back to Atlanta s-u-c-k-e-d.

I saw it from Saluda, SC - pretty close to the center of the path. It was staggering.

And I don't want to hear any complaining from people who 1) drove fewer than 14 hours back home, or 2) got home before 4:30 a.m. banghead smiley

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: August 22, 2017 04:56PM
yes, drove with my wife and our two boys from chicago to Missouri to a spot in the 100% path... just past the edge of a line of thunderstorms near Marshall Missouri in some deep farm land

..and RJmacs is correct..it was staggering..pretty much the most incredible thing I've ever seen..seen a few partials..hmm, totality is a radically, totally different game.

I cried when it clicked in..totally overcome by it and still feeling elated all day today..im not sure it'll ever leave me, i feel different..sound corny? it is..but it's true.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 154
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015