advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $151.89 ( -1.50 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
CrashPlan "home" account level is gone. Business only. Any good alternative for local/network backups?
Posted by: clay
Date: August 22, 2017 12:58PM
News here: [www.crashplan.com]

I currently use crashplan to back up 3 Windows 7 workstations to local networked storage. Has worked great. Short of paying the $10/workstation monthly fee to upgrade to a crashplan business account, any other good options out there? I'm not opposed to buying 3 licenses of some sort of backup software, but I'm hoping to avoid ongoing license fees, etc. I need something automatic that supports versioning. Any tips?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: CrashPlan "home" account level is gone. Business only. Any good alternative for local/network backups?
Posted by: Acer
Date: August 22, 2017 01:03PM
Just local networked storage? Not cloud?
I run SyncBack for local backups. It's been very reliable for the what, 10 years? plus I've been using it. Free and inexpensive versions available. Still (the last time I looked) a one-time purchase, not a subscription.
Re: CrashPlan "home" account level is gone. Business only. Any good alternative for local/network backups?
Posted by: clay
Date: August 22, 2017 01:07PM
Looks perfect, Acer. Will check it out and probably buy a license of SyncBackSE, as it should suit my use case just fine.
Posted by: Don C
Date: August 23, 2017 12:15AM
Crashplan does have a deal to migrate to Carbonite. I cannot tell if Code 42 will send your files to Carbonite or if you have to start from scratch.
Posted by: mspace
Date: August 23, 2017 11:49AM
Really disappointed that CR made this decision, so I have been researching this.

Was considering BackBlaze. A main issue that I never considered has to do with file retention.

CP keeps any file you have deleted for an unlimited amount of time. So if you realize you don't have a file from, say, a year ago, it will be there.

The other services have a 30 day delete policy (some have 90). If a file has been deleted from your system, they will only retain it for 30 days and then delete it themselves. This amounts to a glorified mirror, not a back up. Most of the time, you don't realize something was deleted on your end until you can't find it, and then it may be way beyond the 30-90 day window.

I am leaning towards using the CP small business for at least the next year. They are offering a 75% discount. Then I'll recheck with everyone else's policies are again, to see if anything has changed.

Sigh . . .
Posted by: jdc
Date: August 23, 2017 12:49PM
mspace
CP keeps any file you have deleted for an unlimited amount of time. So if you realize you don't have a file from, say, a year ago, it will be there.

Thats an interesting factoid.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: decay
Date: August 23, 2017 08:49PM
RE: retention policy...

is why we generally recommend Crashplan Pro to our business clients.

HOWEVER, we thought that CP was HIPAA compliant, and it's not.
one client is moving to Carbonite, which is compliant.

---
Posted by: mspace
Date: August 23, 2017 09:18PM
HIPPA is important, but only for those clients.

It was an eye opener for me to realize files would be thrown away, not a true back up.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 261
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015