The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $170.13 ( -0.05 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Why I have a problem with the Secret Service
Posted by: davester
Date: August 23, 2017 01:25AM
What is wrong with this picture?

I grew up with Secret Agent, 007, Man From Uncle, Mission Impossible, and the concept that the Secret Service was...you know...SECRET! Since when does a secret agent wear a star and a badge labelling himself as such? This is crazy stuff! Next thing you know they'll be wearing targets.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Why I have a problem with the Secret Service
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: August 23, 2017 05:29AM
Uniform Division Officer, not an agent.

N39° 39.7234', W075° 33.9788'
“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

Posted by: testcase
Date: August 23, 2017 05:43AM
The Secret Service was first created to protect U.S. CURRENCY. Presidential protection wasn't added until DECADES later.
Posted by: max
Date: August 23, 2017 05:55AM
Still, there is that pesky word, SECRET.....
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: August 23, 2017 06:29AM
If they are going to make themselves less conspicuous, they should go all the way and draw the eye.

Have armed lingerie models investigate counterfeit money and provide security.

Call it Victoria's Secret Service.
Posted by: richorlin
Date: August 23, 2017 06:30AM
It's just a name they chose to use. Like "Fred's Best Fried Chicken Restaurant" doesn't mean it's the best chicken reatuarant in the world.
There's only ONE federal agency in the US that's truly secret, but I'm not allowed to tell you what it is...

richorlin

[DrawingMyLife.com]
Posted by: TLB
Date: August 23, 2017 07:25AM
Or, if you are wearing the embroidered body armor, you should be dressed in all black with the shades on and hat backwards.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: August 23, 2017 08:08AM
davester,

That word "secret" is on a bullet-proof vest, too thick to wear underneath clothing. I believe that since it is obviously such a vest, identifying the wearer tells the observer that he is apparently legit and has some authority. The wearer is not some run-of-the-mill security force member.

If it was a jacket/hat with that designation, I would agree with you.

Mr. Curmudgeon, on Mav/EC/Sierra/blood thinner & some other "old people pills".
Posted by: billb
Date: August 23, 2017 08:09AM
I'm not surprised there are those that believe the SS should all look like James Bond.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: August 23, 2017 08:28AM
Umm, hands are unavailable for immediate action in case of event?
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 23, 2017 08:45AM
TheTominator
If they are going to make themselves less conspicuous, they should go all the way and draw the eye.

I could get behind that.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: August 23, 2017 08:52AM
Decoy.

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 23, 2017 09:20AM
"The secret service makes me nervous
When I am dating they are waiting to observe us
When I get ready to hold steady for the kiss you plant
The secret service makes me nervous and I can't"
Posted by: Dazed & Confused
Date: August 23, 2017 10:02AM
No one could be more secret then Agent 13:

[www.ilovegetsmart.com]

"FAX: It looked like a lot of the places that Agent 13 was found must have been physically uncomfortable shoots for you. Were they?

KETCHUM: Some were. In my garage, there's this huge picture of the Man in the Golden Helmet, but it's my face on it. Those prop guys are really good. They needed a full size Man in the Golden Helmet picture, only with my face on it so that when Don Adams came up and said [imitates Don Adams' voice] "Thirteen, are you there?" it would slide open, and there I was in the Golden Helmet, just like in the picture.

That was easy. But then they started saying, "Wait a minute, wouldn't it be funny if he was in a sofa?" So there would be a party, everybody would stand up, and I'd be inside the sofa with a girl and a drink. Stuff like that was tricky. And then they put me in a locker at the airport, and then an ice machine, and it kept getting more and more ridiculous. The hardest part for me was when they put Agent 13 in a washing machine. I'm six-foot-two, so I can't fit easily into cramped places, and a washing machine is about as cramped as it gets. They also built an eight-foot tube I got into so I could be spun around in the front of the washing machine. You try remembering your lines while you're spinning around with water and soap squirting in your face! When we did Get Smart Again, I was in a filing cabinet and the had to build a special cabinet for me to squeeze into."...

D & C

A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP
11:36 PM - 22 Feb 2015

-Leonard Nimoy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2017 10:06AM by Dazed & Confused.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: August 23, 2017 10:08AM

Posted by: freeradical
Date: August 23, 2017 10:29AM
Posted by: $tevie
Date: August 23, 2017 12:45PM
That person is functioning as a cop, more or less. He is a deterrent and a responder.

Then there's the guys in suits who surround the President and/or his family, who are blatantly Secret Service even without any labeling.

But you have no way of knowing when you are looking at the secret Secret Service agents.

Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: August 23, 2017 05:12PM
There's actually 27 more agents in that picture.
Posted by: davester
Date: August 23, 2017 05:56PM
Yeesh! My post was (obviously I thought with the reference to 007) tongue in cheek. Some folks got it but others are just too serious (or perhaps I should have been even more obvious).

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: mikebw
Date: August 24, 2017 02:02PM
mrbigstuff
TheTominator

I could get behind that.

This is actually a thing, not so much lingerie but you get the idea- [www.mycomicshop.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 212
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015