advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Oil--cheap
Posted by: chopper
Date: August 23, 2017 01:50PM
I walked through Wal Mart's auto section today .. amazed to see quarts of quality oil--not even on sale--for like $2 a quart.

In the same aisle a plastic funnel to pour your oil into your car if you so desire--$3.

Incredible. Wars have been fought and kids have died for 100 years over that stuff.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Oil--cheap
Posted by: vision63
Date: August 23, 2017 02:16PM
chopper
I walked through Wal Mart's auto section today .. amazed to see quarts of quality oil--not even on sale--for like $2 a quart.

In the same aisle a plastic funnel to pour your oil into your car if you so desire--$3.

Incredible. Wars have been fought and kids have died for 100 years over that stuff.

I do like cheap.
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: August 23, 2017 02:28PM
agree smiley

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: Buck
Date: August 23, 2017 03:02PM
You guys do your own oil changes? Is it worth all the trouble?
Or do your engines leak and burn oil?
Posted by: JoeH
Date: August 23, 2017 03:10PM
That price sounds good for now, but I still have a couple unused quarts that sold for 79 cents. Car that I used them to make up the half to full quart used between oil changes has been gone for almost a decade now.
Posted by: billb
Date: August 23, 2017 03:17PM
I don't bring my lawn mowers, riding mowers, tractor, weed whackers, log splitters, chainsaws, golf cart, roto-tillers, leaf collector or leaf blower "in" anywhere for oil changes.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Michael
Date: August 23, 2017 03:21PM
Buck

I do. It's not really worth all the trouble for the cost but I've had too many experiences of it being under or overfilled at a shop. If I'm going to have to check it I might as well change it. It does take me much less time to just change it than to go to a place, wait, have them change it and then come back.
Date: August 23, 2017 03:30PM
Walmart will do and oil and filter, Castrol and FRAM for $19. I have them change it every 4500 miles. It could go a lot longer but at that price why?
Posted by: iamrfixit
Date: August 23, 2017 05:10PM
If you want it done right, done well and get what you pay for then you almost have to do it yourself. When you take your car in for service, mechanics are not the ones doing the service work. Service guys are merely entry level techs (kids) that don't know enough, don't care enough or probably both. They can leave behind expensive damage like stripped or damaged drain plugs, potential failures like loose drain plugs or filters. You'll almost certainly get a cheap grade bulk oil, and if your real lucky the level might be at least in the ballpark.

PS
Fram filters are junk. They are commonly known as the orange can of death, due to being such poor quality. They will collapse internally and send filter pieces throughout your engine. Stick with OEM branded or a better option is a high quality filter like Wix or Napa Gold
Date: August 23, 2017 05:26PM
I watched the tech change the oil on my truck. He was at least 40 years old.

Even the cheapest Supertech (Wally) oil gets high reviews at BITOG.

I checked the oil level, it is spot on.

I used to cut my Frams in half because of scare tactics like yours. I never saw one "collapse internally" (how else would they collapse?) They always looked fine. But then again I change them every 4500 miles for $19 with oil.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 23, 2017 05:34PM
My dealer changed my oil while my car was under warranty. The belly pan fell off but months later. I think it cost me $450 for a replacement belly pan from the same dealer. Now I change my own oil using a Pela to suck out the oil.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2017 05:35PM by Speedy.
Posted by: Carm
Date: August 23, 2017 06:59PM
I change my own oil. Dropping it off for recycling is another matter entirely. I went four days straight dropping off oil this summer. It's so easy to change the oil and you can check the other parts of your car while you are under the car without getting a ridiculous estimate of needed/suggested repairs. I rotate the tires and retorque them. Even though it's covered by my tire warranty.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2017 07:00PM by Carm.
Posted by: Pat
Date: August 23, 2017 09:54PM
Buck

4 gallon oil changes are expensive enough without paying someone else to do it.
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 23, 2017 10:42PM
Pat
Buck

What are you driving, tank, RV, Bus? What MPG do you get?
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: August 23, 2017 10:42PM
Depends on the car. I take my cheap cars that don't require synthetic to the local Goodyear garage. Can't be bothered to do it myself for $21.95. I'd spend $15 on oil and filter. On my newer cars that take full synthetic I do it myself as all the shops charge a premium for synthetic. Ditto with the older Europeans that have huge oil capacities and require synthetic.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Carm
Date: August 23, 2017 10:50PM
Right there with you Chris. Both my cars require a little over 5qts of full synthetic oil.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: August 23, 2017 11:48PM
We only change one ourselves now, the 2002 Tahoe Z71. It has a regular canister filter. The Toyota Tundra
has several free oil changes coming for it but afterwards I don't know because you have to remove a
skidplate and the filter is a cartridge type with o rings to replace and you need a special tool to get it
out. Anytime I work on anything while lying on my back it messes with my Meniere's and makes me very
dizzy and almost makes me hurl. The Tundra takes like 8 quarts of 0w-20 Synthetic too. I'm going to find
out what they charge just for labor if we supply the oil and filter. Would rather have Mobil 1 in it.

Grateful11
Posted by: Pat
Date: August 23, 2017 11:53PM
space-time
Pat
Buck

What are you driving, tank, RV, Bus? What MPG do you get?

Diesel pickup.
Posted by: norse
Date: August 24, 2017 12:35AM
Buck

I do my own because I don't trust the quick change places.

My friend had her oil and air filter changed by Q******. After 2 weeks her service light came on indicating oxygen sensor. Found out the air filter cover was missing the clips to keep the cover closed tightly. The shop has ordered new clips.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 24, 2017 08:00AM
Yeah, the quick change places overcharge for synthetic, so I do it myself. Although you can bring in your own oil and still pay the lower fee.
Posted by: iamrfixit
Date: August 24, 2017 06:12PM
chopper
I watched the tech change the oil on my truck. He was at least 40 years old.

Even the cheapest Supertech (Wally) oil gets high reviews at BITOG.

I checked the oil level, it is spot on.

I used to cut my Frams in half because of scare tactics like yours. I never saw one "collapse internally" (how else would they collapse?) They always looked fine. But then again I change them every 4500 miles for $19 with oil.

Sure, every single tech is not going to be bad, some shops utilize actual mechanics take care of service work. Volume dealerships or quicky oil change places are often going to use a lube tech. This may be a rookie mechanic fresh out of school or another limited experience employee to do service work because they can hire them for half what a mechanic would earn. A couple dealerships I know have their detail guy changing oil part time.

These aren't scare tactics at all. Fram was once a reputable brand, but they are imported garbage now. Cut some quality filters apart and compare. A good filter will have many more, evenly spaced pleats, use a heavier fabric, metal end caps, silicone drainbacks and is obviously just much better put together. Even the can they are assembled into is a heavier gauge.

I've opened up many Fram's to find wide and poorly spaced pleats, cardboard end pieces that look like they were cut out with scissors and hot glued on. They are notorious for poor quality components in the bypass valve and cheap rubber for the drainback valve.

Of course they are going to become even more likely to fail when pressed into long service intervals. I've seen the damage when they crush or come apart and get circulated through the tiny oil passages and it's widely discussed in numerous forums. How else can they fail? Well I had a small block in a mustang that would bury the oil pressure gauge when cold. It would pop those cheap filters off one after another if it fast idled on a cold morning. Had to run the heaviest built filter I could find, at that time Hastings was the only one that would hold up.

No qualified wrench would ever recommend a Fram. No reason to when an OEM brand like Delco, Motorcraft, Mopar or other much better quality filter is available on the shelf right next to the Fram for pennies more. Even a true performance filter like Wix, K&N or Napa is probably only a couple bucks more. I buy Napa gold filters by the case during the annual napa filter sale and easily save a couple bucks per filter.

Proof in pictures, I found video comparison, here is just two of many

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 272
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018