advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $170.13 ( -0.05 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Have a chance to buy 1998 Toyota Sienna?, Thoughts?
Posted by: Microman
Date: August 24, 2017 05:18PM
Neighbor next door, who I have known for 40 years. Its an outdoor car, but there doesn't seem to be any paint fading on the light blue color. It has 135,000 miles, but the engine was replaced 25,000 miles ago, by dealer (I believe dealer). Recently had overheated, but she had it towed in to dealer and they replaced radiator, thermostat, etc, and reset code, and all is good.

She was making $2,000 when I talked with her a month ago, and since I just sold that 02 Camry that had a head gasket problem (By the way, the buyer was a mechanic and did a Leak Down test on the engine and said it was fine, and his daughter drove it too Arizona. Nice sold it, and was honest about its history, and still made the grade. That Blue Devil Head Gasket Sealer YELLOW/AND BLUE Bottlem, sure does the job.

Anyway, what do you think of a 98 Toyota Sienna. I know its almost 20 years old, but one owner, and always maintained by dealers, etc.

Thoughts.... Offer somewhere between 1500 -2000, she does say she would be willing to come down "a little". Also would be will to transfer at California DMV as cheaply as possible. So $15 + nothing or a little, To transfer.

Since my truck was stolen 4-5 years ago, I miss having a vehicle that I can load something in. A hope chest or table, etc....
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Have a chance to buy 1998 Toyota Sienna?, Thoughts?
Posted by: LyleH
Date: August 24, 2017 06:16PM
Bought a 2001 Toyota Sienna XLE in May of 2001. Only have 64,000 miles on it, although it is my primary vehicle. I've had some air-conditioning issues with compressor replaced and rear shocks, and some minor things, but the motor/transmission has been rock solid - the only "engine-related" stuff was a new timing belt when it was due to be changed.

The light brown paint on the vehicle still looks great, and the leather seats are near-perfect.

Car has been in Oregon (very little salt used on roads) so body sheet metal is near perfect, too-NO rust.

Not relevant to you, but I got the "Oil Change for Life", which has saved me a bundle. LyleH
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: August 24, 2017 06:17PM
There's got to be better choices out there...

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Sam3
Date: August 24, 2017 07:55PM
I'd probably take it in a heartbeat. Toyotas in General are rock solid. Don't be afraid of old cars, they can run fine with a little regular maintenance, I'm driving a 1999 Ford Explorer with 179,000 on it as well as a 1999 Saab 9-3 Viggen with 135,000 on it and neither have given me major problems.Even if I had to pay $2,000.00 / year / car for maintenance costs (which I don't), it would still be cheaper than a new car payment.

I would suggest, however, to see if you can borrow the car for a day and have a trusted mechanic check it over to make sure nothing major is about to fail.
Posted by: Acer
Date: August 24, 2017 09:19PM
Buy it. I buy used cars based on miles, not years. A Toyota with a solid frame and minimal rust under 150k for under $2000 is a good price. Do inspect for rust on the frame, Oregon or no; I had 2000 Camry with a rusted cradle that was pricey to fix. The part was not expensive, but so much stuff is physically connected to it that the labor was steep.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2017 09:22PM by Acer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 183
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015