advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $151.89 ( -1.50 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Do you use the hand sanitizers when you use a store buggy?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: August 24, 2017 06:31PM
I never do. Laziness, probably. I do use them in hospitals, but mostly out of boredom.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2017 07:18PM by Dennis S.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Do you the hand sanitizers when you use a store buggy?
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: August 24, 2017 06:48PM
No. I just wash my hands when I get home.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: August 24, 2017 07:03PM
Carnos Jax
No. I just wash my hands when I get home.

Seconded
Posted by: JoeH
Date: August 24, 2017 07:08PM
Only when I was undergoing treatment 7 years ago ad my immune system was whacked.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 24, 2017 07:08PM
.....only before I kiss it all over....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Re: Do you use the hand sanitizers when you use a store buggy?
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: August 24, 2017 07:22PM
Si. As much as for what my hands have touched as anything. My hound is usually with me waiting in truck and I've just petted her. I hate germs. Little devils are out to get us.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: August 24, 2017 07:25PM
Dennis S
I never do. Laziness, probably. I do use them in hospitals, but mostly out of boredom.

I do, when I see that they are present in the dispenser. It's usually empty.

And I ritually use hand-sanitizer with great frequency when I'm in the hospital. I don't want to be that guy who spreads something nasty to the immune-compromised.

Posted by: p8712
Date: August 24, 2017 07:56PM
Yes - Publix provides sanitizing wipes for the handles right next to the carts. No reason not to!
Posted by: steve...
Date: August 24, 2017 08:02PM
Yes. I wipe down the cart's push bar and wash when I get home.

Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: August 24, 2017 08:22PM
p8712
Yes - Publix provides sanitizing wipes for the handles right next to the carts. No reason not to!

Well, there is a reason not to, actually. The overuse of anti-bacterials is resulting in the evolution of resistant strains of bacteria that are much more problematic.

Posted by: DinerDave
Date: August 24, 2017 08:29PM
No, I wash hands, etc, etc, but try not to overuse sanitizers.
I feel like Uncle Wig stated, overuse of sanitizers is not good, just like over meds are not good either.
I spent 20 years handling raw chicken and hamburg in restaurants and I think I missed work for sick related issues maybe 5 days in 35 plus adult work years.

Dave

The secret to a long life is...

Don't do anything to shorten it.
Posted by: DP
Date: August 24, 2017 08:34PM
Snotty nose kids, sick people coughing and sneezing all over, people that don't wash after using the bathroom, one after the other after the other-hell yes! I use the sanitizer before I touch the car door and I have a sanitizer in my glove box.

Posted by: Onamuji
Date: August 24, 2017 08:37PM
Uncle Wig
p8712

Well, there is a reason not to, actually. The overuse of anti-bacterials is resulting in the evolution of resistant strains of bacteria that are much more problematic.

Was gonna reply that bacteria don't develop resistance to soap/surfactants and alcohol, but decided to Google it and found some evidence that they might just have some defenses against them. Not much, but there's a wee bit of debate on the subject.

Still, it's not like those stupid antibacterial cleansers that seem designed from scratch to breed immunity to triclosan. These things attack the cell membranes -- darned hard to survive it.

Posted by: ka jowct
Date: August 24, 2017 08:40PM
Wow, you guys would go nuts in the transit system here. BTW there is no hand sanitizer available for public use in stores here that I've ever seen. And yet somehow, I survive and am rarely ill.
Posted by: 3d
Date: August 24, 2017 08:51PM
The main entrance to my office building are two glass revolving doors. Although there is a bar/handle for people to push on, many people just push on the glass to revolve the doors. The glass gets so filthy with skin oil and sweat the clear glass turns frosted with streaks within minutes of the maintenance guy wiping it down multiple times a day. It's pretty gross.

With all that said, do i use the provided alcohol sanitizer wipes to clean off the shopping cart handle? Ehhh,, maybe 10% of the time. Depends on my mood.
Posted by: max
Date: August 24, 2017 08:58PM
Onamuji
Uncle Wig
p8712

Was gonna reply that bacteria don't develop resistance to soap/surfactants and alcohol, but decided to Google it and found some evidence that they might just have some defenses against them. Not much, but there's a wee bit of debate on the subject.

Still, it's not like those stupid antibacterial cleansers that seem designed from scratch to breed immunity to triclosan. These things attack the cell membranes -- darned hard to survive it.

And forgo the free vaccination for the most wide ranging spread of micro life, no, thank you....
Posted by: gabester
Date: August 24, 2017 09:00PM
Uncle Wig
p8712

This.

And, I'm a firm believer that what does not kill me only makes me stronger... so I might use them in the rare occasion where I hear there's a new super-plague going around. Short of that, I figure it's better to expose my immune system to new stuff regularly than to shelter it.

I'll change my tune should I ever be in an immunocompromised state.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: August 24, 2017 09:25PM
I'm fascinated by this term "store buggy". I don't think I've ever heard it before. Is it a "Western" thing?

Posted by: blooz
Date: August 24, 2017 09:34PM
It's a grocery cart, damn it!
And i don't care what store you use it in. It's like kleenex—no matter the brand, it's always kleenex—even if it's not as soft.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Date: August 24, 2017 09:37PM
blooz
It's a grocery cart, damn it!
And i don't care what store you use it in. It's like kleenex—no matter the brand, it's always kleenex—even if it's not as soft.
Actually, it's a shopping cart. grinning smiley

Date: August 24, 2017 09:38PM
....a bugaboo is an expensive buggy.....

Posted by: Carm
Date: August 24, 2017 09:50PM
Lol. Shopping Cart. Yes I started after we had my daughter and wash at home.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: August 25, 2017 12:19AM
$tevie
I'm fascinated by this term "store buggy". I don't think I've ever heard it before. Is it a "Western" thing?

Southern Arkansas, I guess. Actually, I was looking for the word "cart," and couldn't come up with it, so "buggy" was the next thing I thought of. You know, something to carry all your pokes in.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 25, 2017 12:23AM
Nope. But I have started using the sanitizer in hospitals assiduously, esp after viewing the most recent Frontline on deadly hospital bugs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2017 12:23AM by mrbigstuff.
Posted by: davester
Date: August 25, 2017 01:55AM
DinerDave
No, I wash hands, etc, etc, but try not to overuse sanitizers.
I feel like Uncle Wig stated, overuse of sanitizers is not good, just like over meds are not good either.

Ditto. Just say no to hand sanitizers!

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 25, 2017 04:41AM
Like gabester, I believe in the 'what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger'. So, no on the grocery carts. But I did always wash when I went to visit family in the hospital so that I wouldn't bring something in untoward.

Like DinerDave, I did once miss one day of work due to illness, probably something food born (diarrhea and truck driving don't work well). I did miss school due to chicken pox, measles, mumps and mono. My immune suppressed daughter (two kidney transplants before reaching school age) got her immunizations and never missed one day of school K-12. However, I caught every little cold, etc. my two kids brought home from school.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Pam
Date: August 25, 2017 04:42AM
Nope. Another one who washes her hands when she gets home.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2017 04:42AM by Pam.
Date: August 25, 2017 07:55AM
.....never used to but recently started.....not so much for bacteria but from gross stuff that previous people leave on it.....like on NY subways....people sneeze on it and put gross stuff on the handle.....normal bacteria not an issue but don't wanna touch anything with snot, poop, etc. on it.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2017 12:56PM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: August 25, 2017 09:05AM
I read somewhere that the greatest concentration of bacteria in public places was on escalator railings.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Posted by: mspace
Date: August 25, 2017 10:13AM
quote="ka jowct"]
Wow, you guys would go nuts in the transit system here. BTW there is no hand sanitizer available for public use in stores here that I've ever seen. And yet somehow, I survive and am rarely ill.[/quote]

agree smiley[
Posted by: bobinmurphy
Date: August 25, 2017 12:20PM
Doesn't make any difference given that I've seen people put their lap dogs into carts and stroll around thru the grocery section of the local Walmat. It's a health code violation, but the store manager didn't want to piss of the customer and the Health Dept wasn't interested in enforcing the law.

BTW, these were not service animals and I've seen it multiple times. As far as I'm concerned dogs, other than service dogs, don't belong in ANY store, especially one that has food products. What happens if a child gets bit, or the animal relieves itself on the floor? Not buying the "oh my dog wouldn't do that" - they do it all the time when these people walk them past my yard.
Posted by: Dazed & Confused
Date: August 25, 2017 12:55PM
"Snotty nose kids, sick people coughing and sneezing all over, people that don't wash after using the bathroom, one after the other after the other-hell yes!"

agree smiley

D & C
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: August 25, 2017 02:49PM
bobinmurphy
Doesn't make any difference given that I've seen people put their lap dogs into carts and stroll around thru the grocery section of the local Walmat. It's a health code violation, but the store manager didn't want to piss of the customer and the Health Dept wasn't interested in enforcing the law.

BTW, these were not service animals and I've seen it multiple times. As far as I'm concerned dogs, other than service dogs, don't belong in ANY store, especially one that has food products. What happens if a child gets bit, or the animal relieves itself on the floor? Not buying the "oh my dog wouldn't do that" - they do it all the time when these people walk them past my yard.

I whole heartedly agree

Dave

The secret to a long life is...

Don't do anything to shorten it.
Date: August 25, 2017 03:26PM
mrlynn
I read somewhere that the greatest concentration of bacteria in public places was on escalator railings.

/Mr Lynn

Let me guess...wattsupwiththat?

Actual science:
Researchgate
amples from the handrails of the escalators in 12 Metro stations in the underground train in Washington, D.C. were studied on two weekdays for the presence of aerobic bacteria. Bacteria were isolated in 12 of the 24 cultures. The number of colonies per site varied between 1 to 16. All of the organisms isolated were Gram-positive cocci: 5 alpha hemolytic streptococci, 5 coagulase negative staphylococci, and 2 Staphylococcus aureus. These results indicate that although some of the handrails in the Metro escalators contain bacteria, their number is small and their types do not present a high health risk to the passengers.

Recovery of organisms from the handrails of escalators in the public Metro rail system in Washington, D.C.. Available from: [www.researchgate.net] [accessed Aug 25, 2017].

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: August 25, 2017 03:35PM
davester
mrlynn

/Mr Lynn

Let me guess...wattsupwiththat?

No, from some newspaper article. That was pretty lame, Davester.

/Mr Lynn
Date: August 25, 2017 03:49PM
mrlynn
That was pretty lame, Davester.
/Mr Lynn

I agree, but I couldn't help myself, low hanging fruit and all. My apologies.

Date: August 25, 2017 04:22PM
Dennis S
You know, something to carry all your pokes in.
jest smiley

Date: August 25, 2017 07:01PM
davester
mrlynn
/Mr Lynn

You are hereby sentenced to view Algore's latest faux-science movie seven times.

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: billb
Date: August 25, 2017 09:12PM
mrlynn
davester
mrlynn
/Mr Lynn

You are hereby sentenced to view Algore's latest faux-science movie seven times.

/Mr Lynn

That's mean.

They don't even do that at GTMO.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 249
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015