advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
PSA: Don't drive dump truck with truck bed raised
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: August 25, 2017 07:34AM

They tried to warn him, and he didn’t pay attention. Somehow I have to imagine it’s not hard for a truck driver to realize his massive truck bed is raised, and that it might cause problems while motoring down the highway. Here’s what happens when the truck driver, uh, doesn’t realize his mistake.

This is one of the craziest amateur videos of pure stupidity and insanity sourced straight from the tap that I’ve seen in a long time, in which two guys try to flag down a dump truck because its the bed is sticking up, and then the truck driver plows through a highway sign and flips over anyway:

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: PSA: Don't drive dump truck with truck bed raised
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 25, 2017 07:35AM
....is that what they mean when they say....taking a dump....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 25, 2017 07:42AM
There *used* to be a nice pedestrian walkway over I-90 near where I work. A dump truck wasn't latched down properly, the bed raised, and ripped the BRIDGE off its moorings, and had to be removed before the interstate could be opened. The driver was properly strapped in, so he survived coming to an IMMEDIATE stop from 60 MPH. He was, however, buried in traffic tickets and citations.

Posted by: space-time
Date: August 25, 2017 08:36AM
The guy with the dash cam (and cracked windshield) is dangerously close to the dump truck IMHO. I would stay way behind, I don't want to be close when those signs fall on highway.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: August 25, 2017 08:40AM
space-time
The guy with the dash cam (and cracked windshield) is dangerously close to the dump truck IMHO. I would stay way behind, I don't want to be close when those signs fall on highway.

Yeah I am wondering what happened just after the video stopped. You can start to see the entire structure fall down towards the road.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: August 25, 2017 08:49AM
I think the driver missed this sign:

From a bridge rebuilding project down the street a couple of years ago.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 25, 2017 08:53AM
it's a three land road, I would have moved over and tried to get in front of him. In this case, that would be the best way to avoid danger when the inevitable happened. In most cases, I don't even like passing a semi when the wind is up and it is swaying. Cars generally don't win when a tractor-trailer is involved.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2017 08:56AM by Ombligo.
Posted by: JPK
Date: August 25, 2017 09:06AM
I am amazed how frequently this happens.

I am thinking a simple sensor and i big red light on the dash could prevent most of these?

JPK
Date: August 25, 2017 09:12AM
JPK

I am thinking a simple sensor and i big red light on the dash could prevent most of these?

JPK

Better make it a flashing red light with a beeper. Or maybe even a transmission lockout that will prevent the truck from getting out of first gear.

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: Acer
Date: August 25, 2017 09:15AM
mikebw
space-time

Yeah I am wondering what happened just after the video stopped. You can start to see the entire structure fall down towards the road.

The youtube video of this accident shows the filmer escaping doom, but it was purely luck.
Posted by: billb
Date: August 25, 2017 09:27AM
On the rubbernecker's headstone is written:

Hold my beer, I'm putting this on facebook tonight !

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 25, 2017 09:35AM
pRICE cUBE
Somehow I have to imagine it’s not hard for a truck driver to realize his massive truck bed is raised

Speaking from personal experience as the driver, I can tell you there are times, places and circumstances that make this possible. It's pretty rare but as this video shows, it happens. Mine resulted in only a hard bump on the top of my head and a replacement box ($2k).

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: August 25, 2017 10:14AM
mrlynn
JPK

JPK

Better make it a flashing red light with a beeper. Or maybe even a transmission lockout that will prevent the truck from getting out of first gear.

/Mr Lynn

I am not a truck driver, but I think there are times when the truck needs to pull forward with the bed raised in order to fully dump the load.
Date: August 25, 2017 10:21AM
mikebw
mrlynn
JPK

JPK

/Mr Lynn

I am not a truck driver, but I think there are times when the truck needs to pull forward with the bed raised in order to fully dump the load.

Absolutely. That's why I suggested first gear. You can still drive, but it wouldn't be much good on the highway.

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: GGD
Date: August 25, 2017 10:23AM
Here's what that sign used to look like, it's on I-610 outside of Houston TX.

[www.google.com]
Date: August 25, 2017 10:24AM
mrlynn

Absolutely. That's why I suggested first gear. You can still drive, but it wouldn't be much good on the highway.

/Mr Lynn

smiley-score010
Date: August 25, 2017 10:25AM
Acer
mikebw
space-time

The youtube video of this accident shows the filmer escaping doom, but it was purely luck.

After viewing that I think having the sign take down the truck was probably better than having it run into that overpass just a few hundred feet farther down the road.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 25, 2017 10:26AM
....no bed.....of roses.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: August 25, 2017 11:02AM
>After viewing that I think having the sign take down the truck was probably better than having it run into that overpass just a few hundred feet farther down the road.

Indeed; not only would that have possibility caused loss of life, it likely would have led to a major issue with traffic flow in that area, as the bridge would have to sustain inspection, repair, etc. for a while after.

Posted by: Paul F.
Date: August 25, 2017 11:13AM
mikebw

After viewing that I think having the sign take down the truck was probably better than having it run into that overpass just a few hundred feet farther down the road.

I was noticing that myself...

I think I would have GREATLY increased my following distance of that truck, or like Ombligo says, gotten ahead of him post-haste before he hit something.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 214
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015