advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $150.03 ( -1.8584 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
If you could go anyplace in the world...
Posted by: samintx
Date: August 25, 2017 10:22AM
Where would you like to go? I need ideas.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: If you could go anyplace in the world...
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: August 25, 2017 10:29AM
all my friends say you HAVE TO go to Japan.
Posted by: decay
Date: August 25, 2017 10:31AM
Iceland

Fiji

---
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 25, 2017 10:54AM
I would want to visit wild places, but would worry about surviving them in my current .. um.. portly state.
Ride the Colorado river through the Grand Canyon.
Fish for salmon in Alaska while bears fish on the same stream.
See the top of the world by trekking to the feet of Mt. Everest in Nepal.
Sail in a sailboat around Cape Hope. or Cape Horn.
Spend a week on an island in the South Pacific in primitive conditions.
Canoe the boundary waters in Canada.

Find peaceful spots to sit and think. Perhaps write ... a shoddy novel, or pitiful poetry, by candle light with a quill pen from the feather of an angry Raven.
Posted by: billb
Date: August 25, 2017 11:09AM
I have a list of places I haven't been to yet
and a list of places that I might go back to

I work with those

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: rgG
Date: August 25, 2017 11:19AM
I keep thinking that I want to go to Manchu Pichu.
I met a lady the other day that went and she said it was great.
That might be the next big trip for me and my daughter. My husband can't go because of the altitude.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: August 25, 2017 11:21AM
Iceland for me, too, but it sounds "too doable" for a fantasy idea like this. I think I will get there. New Zealand?
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: August 25, 2017 11:22AM
We've been talking about going to the Dalmatian Coast for a while.

I'd recommend Australia to anybody after last year's visit.
Posted by: MartyStickle
Date: August 25, 2017 11:28AM
Actually Macho Pichu is only about 8000 ft. The problem is that you have to fly into Cusco, which is at 11,000 or so.

rgG
That might be the next big trip for me and my daughter. My husband can't go because of the altitude.

Asheville, NC Area
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: August 25, 2017 11:35AM
In the back of my mind, I keep a list of places I want to go after I've hit the "must-see" places.
They include;
Bhutan (a country with a $250 a DAY visa.. but that includes a guide or tour service! Also the "happiest country on earth" )

Andorra. Because no one really goes there as a tourist, and it's nestled between Spain and France.

The Shetland and Faroe Islands. During summer. With a coat.

St. Kilda Because it's a cool story... and the pics make it look gorgeous. Again with bringing a coat.

Iceland. I can't say exactly WHY... it just looks cool, but I can't point to one specific thing and say "that's why I want to go to Iceland". It seems my list is going to require a wardrobe of coats.

The Carribean Islands - pretty much all of them between Puerto Rico and Trinidad and Tobago. All the littler ones, the slightly less traveled ones. You know, to warm up after all those sub-arctic islands.

Patagonia, Argentina. Supposed to be spectactular, breathtaking, and all those other superlatives.

Tristan de Cunha. It's a rat-bastige to get there, but you will be the ONLY person you've probably ever met that's ever been there as a tourist! Just don't miss the flight out, or you might be stuck there for a YEAR until the next one. This one could be a real booger to arrange a trip to.

Malta. I dunno why. Nice warm mediterranean island, though, and a 'ell of a lot easier to get to than Tristan de Cunha!

Now one that has recently moved WAY up my list onto my "I want to go there before my 'after I've been every other place' list".

Georgia. Not the state, the one between the Black Sea and the Caspian Sea. Great food, budding tourist infrastructure. Supposedly great people. Been getting a lot of press in the travel related podcasts I listen to.

Another one in the same "Has moved up to my list-list, not my 'backup' list".
The Dalmation Coast of the Balkans. Great weather, great food, looks like it would be an amazing place to just start in Venice, and work my way along the coast to Greece. Maybe over a month or two.

*sigh* I work at a school, and have all this time off during breaks and summer... what I need is more money! :-)

Hope this gives you some ideas to build off of!

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: August 25, 2017 11:38AM
Kraniac

Lately I've been seeing some travel shows about RURAL Japan that make it look like that might be where I'd want to go if I get the opportunity to go to Japan.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: 3d
Date: August 25, 2017 11:40AM
Haleakala, Maui @ sunrise was pretty nice.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: August 25, 2017 11:52AM
I have always thought I would like to explore Australia, but not for just a quick visit. I'm talking like maybe a few years living there. Hey, it's a big place!

I would also like to visit nearby countries while there. Japan, Philippines, etc.

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: August 25, 2017 11:54AM
For me; Iceland, New Zealand, Japan, Australia.

Despite what my wife has said, I've no real draw to Europe. (She's been twice)

Alaska -- the coastal cruise, which started in Anchorage and ended in Vancouver -- was wonderful. I'm no cruise fan, but the views were spectacular. I could just watch the shore pass by all day in Alaska. Gorgeous.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 25, 2017 11:55AM
rgG

....been there, yes altitude is an issue also don't be afraid of heights because a lot of the trails are basically right to wall face......so if you are afraid of heights, skip it....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: August 25, 2017 11:56AM
.....there has been a boom in Iceland so prices for staples there have gone up because of demand.....food is expensive whether eating out or buying from supermarkets....factor that in your plans....

Posted by: davester
Date: August 25, 2017 12:04PM
I like Paul F's list, especially because Bhutan (along with Nepal) is also at the top of my list. Malta is also close to the top because it's ancient, beautiful, and I was born there but haven't visited since I was three years old.

I'd also really like to do a sailing vacation in the south seas, visiting some untouristed spots, perhaps in the Cook Islands since we've already spent time in Tahiti and Fiji.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2017 12:20PM by davester.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 25, 2017 12:19PM
My wife wants to go to Machu Picchu, but my bucket list is upper Amazon. So we will likely wrap those together. She has made noises about Buenos Aires as well (yawn). For whatever reason, places like Reunion Island, and Ascension Island are a draw for me too (yet Antartica holds no interest to me).

For a long time I really wanted to visit the wrecks at the Bikini Atoll, but my technical diving days are now behind me. I've been throughout Central America, and throughly enjoyed the people. Europe had some beautiful sites, but I have no real draw to return. Some of the adventures Samintex has been on sound great.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: pdq
Date: August 25, 2017 12:23PM
I can recommend Iceland. We drove around the perimeter of the whole place a number of years ago. Started in Reykjavík, obviously, which is austere and pretty uninspiring, and made me wonder why we thought this was a good idea.

After getting out of that patch of Nordic civilization, tho, the rest was beautiful and awe-inspiring. Fjords, mountains, glaciers, waterfalls, volcanos, the ocean, vast rolling hills without a trace of civilization (except the road). By the end of the week I was plotting on how I could move there.

PS- Getting there is currently incredibly cheap. $349 RT from the East coast, as much as $549 RT from Portland. And Icelandair is not a bad airline.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2017 12:29PM by pdq.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: August 25, 2017 12:25PM
New Zealand
Amalfi Coast
Ireland
Posted by: vision63
Date: August 25, 2017 12:28PM
Wherever Halle Berry is.
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: August 25, 2017 12:29PM
Kraniac

Oh me, everything I just typed is gone by a misplaced hit of some key! banghead smileyI've been about EVERYWHERE except South America. Japan is home to us, lived in country, cities, driven ALL over the place in Japan. Love it! Australia is too Same Same, But Different for me. More on the same same side. Africa, whew, too dangerous in many places, and dirty, not much good food. Europe, eh, I can take it or leave it, mostly leave it. Russia, one place I've never been and don't want to visit. I was just born for Asia. Philippines can be nice, but mighty dirty. Food also not so great. Been all over the Pacific Islands, Scandinavia, oh me, it's easier to name places I have not been. Hey y'all, yes, you must go to Japan. Clean, BEST food in the world (any kind! Not just Japanese food. Better pizzas than I've had in Italy.), safe, can walk streets any time of day safely. Absolutely excellent coffee! Go. Just go.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2017 12:32PM by GuyGene.
Posted by: pdq
Date: August 25, 2017 12:34PM
vision63
Wherever Halle Berry is.

You and me both, buddy. But we're both dreamin.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: August 25, 2017 12:41PM
GuyGene
Kraniac

Oh me, everything I just typed is gone by a misplaced hit of some key! banghead smileyI've been about EVERYWHERE except South America. Japan is home to us, lived in country, cities, driven ALL over the place in Japan. Love it!

Hahaha, now I understand your screen name. Nice.
Posted by: Dazed & Confused
Date: August 25, 2017 12:48PM
I'd settle for something more mundane but impossible at this present time:

Away from my office having lunch at a restaurant rather then eating microwave crap at my desk.

D & C
Posted by: rgG
Date: August 25, 2017 12:48PM
NewtonMP2100
rgG

....been there, yes altitude is an issue also don't be afraid of heights because a lot of the trails are basically right to wall face......so if you are afraid of heights, skip it....

Yeah, he has a heart issue and is not comfortable with heights either, so no go for him.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 25, 2017 12:52PM
Paul F.
Kraniac

Lately I've been seeing some travel shows about RURAL Japan that make it look like that might be where I'd want to go if I get the opportunity to go to Japan.

I've seen rural Japan -- I would MUCH rather spend time there than in, say, Tokyo.

It is what it is.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 25, 2017 12:54PM
vision63
Wherever Halle Berry is.

Saw her at a Prince concert some years back. Absolutely gorgeous.

It is what it is.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: August 25, 2017 01:08PM
rgG

I'd love to see Machu Pichu. Friends of mine went years ago. I wish I'd had the money to go visit when they were in Cairo and Nepal. I also really want to get back to Berlin and Amsterdam. If I won the PowerBall, I would give serious thought to moving to Berlin.

Would also like to visit the area of the Burgess Shale.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2017 04:33PM by ka jowct.
Posted by: Buck
Date: August 25, 2017 01:19PM
Dazed & Confused
Away from my office having lunch at a restaurant rather then eating microwave crap at my desk.
D & C

You need a bigger dream!

I would like to visit the international space station.
Posted by: samintx
Date: August 25, 2017 02:08PM
Interesting so many want to go to Iceland. Australia,too. Some great ideas for my travels. I have been to most of them but some good ideas. I can understand the roughing it but not at my age. I did that when I was younger now. No . I hope you all get to you dream. Thanks for the ideas. ( africa? Madagascar?)
Date: August 25, 2017 02:29PM
You having been a WHOLE lotta places already is why I started with my "off the beaten track" list! :-)

Check into Bhutan... since they REQUIRE a guide or tour service (there are NO visas for independant travel in Bhutan), it may be more suited to your travel style?

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: August 25, 2017 02:41PM
.....I'm going to hell in a handbasket....???

Posted by: billb
Date: August 25, 2017 02:49PM
Paul F.
Iceland. I can't say exactly WHY... it just looks cool, but I can't point to one specific thing and say "that's why I want to go to Iceland". It seems my list is going to require a wardrobe of coats.
geysers, waterfalls and walking between tectonic plates is pretty cool.

Paul F.
Malta. I dunno why. Nice warm mediterranean island, though, and a 'ell of a lot easier to get to than Tristan de Cunha!
hurry up with Malta, it's turning into a soulless developers dream of high rise concrete jungle pretty quick.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: August 25, 2017 03:01PM
decay
Iceland

RecipeForDisaster
Iceland for me, too, but it sounds "too doable" for a fantasy idea like this. I think I will get there.?

Paul F.

Zoidberg
For me; Iceland...

samintx
Interesting so many want to go to Iceland.

From The Wall Street Journal last Sunday...

"Tourism Saved Iceland, but Now It’s a Headache
North Atlantic nation strains under the weight of millions of visitors, a victim of its own success.

By Nina Adam
Aug. 20, 2017 6:00 a.m. ET
REYKJAVIK, Iceland—Iceland’s tourism push helped save the once-remote island from a deep economic crisis, but now that business is booming the North Atlantic nation is straining under the weight of the windfall."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2017 03:08PM by DeusxMac.
Posted by: zeppo2
Date: August 25, 2017 07:04PM
I'd return to Easter Island in late May. Had the island to ourselves.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 27, 2017 07:17AM
Anywhere in northern Canada, winter or summer. Otherwise, see if Frank has a spare room in Hawai'i.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: August 28, 2017 06:19AM
.....Carman, San Diego....???

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 193
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015