advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
A Sticky for our Harvey-affected forumites to keep in touch?
Posted by: DP
Date: August 27, 2017 03:20PM
Let us know how things are going with you?

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: A Sticky for our Harvey-affected forumites to keep in touch?
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: August 27, 2017 03:52PM
Do we know who is in the affected area?

Take care

Paul

Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: August 27, 2017 04:16PM
[forums.macresource.com]

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: August 27, 2017 04:36PM
Unless I.m not patient enough, I can't find everybody on the map.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: August 27, 2017 04:46PM
There are only 4 or 5 people in the path of Harvey. Just look for the little Mac Classics.

Pinkoos looks to be most at risk, followed by mjgkramer. Dharmadog and Wacohoov are next, but they're farther north.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2017 04:48PM by ztirffritz.
Date: August 27, 2017 05:20PM
Looks like max and MarkD too.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
Date: August 27, 2017 06:19PM
Just read that Harvey could move offshore then back onshore. Over 50-yes, 50 inches of rain will fall in the next few days. Jeez. "Catastrophic" isn't a strong enough adjective anymore...

Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: August 27, 2017 06:32PM
Due to the slow (almost stationary) movement of the storm that was originally predicted a few days before landfall, the amount of rain was my primary worry too. If reports of 50+ inches of rain bear out, then even it would exceed my wildest expectations.
Posted by: stephen
Date: August 27, 2017 06:48PM
Thinking about you guys. Please report in.
Posted by: pdq
Date: August 27, 2017 07:12PM
Here's one of the weather models suggesting the into-the-gulf-and-then-back-to-Houston maneuver.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: August 27, 2017 07:31PM
Hope everyone is safe.

Posted by: bfd
Date: August 27, 2017 09:23PM
It's rather astounding to see the 24-hour rain totals for the Houston area. It's no wonder they're underwater right now. And the rain just keeps coming down.
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: August 27, 2017 11:28PM
pdq
Here's one of the weather models suggesting the into-the-gulf-and-then-back-to-Houston maneuver.

Just checking into this thread. Thank you for everyone's concern - really means a lot.

Regarding that model, the local weather folks as well as this excellent site: [spacecityweather.com] are downplaying that, mainly b/c it would put us on the west or clean side of the storm in which case rainfall totals wouldn't be so bad. However, if Harvey just creeps north and we stay on the right or dirty side of the storm, it is going to be a very long week ahead.

See this also: [spacecityweather.com]

Posted by: GeneL
Date: August 28, 2017 01:30AM
I really hate to say that this situation is frightening. With little that can be done, I will worry about my forum friends that are affected by this horrific storm. Please let us know how you all are doing and if there is anything we can do for you.
Perhaps clothing or other necessities?
Of course, everything will depend on whether anything can be delivered to your locations.
Please stay safe!

GeneL

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Posted by: max
Date: August 28, 2017 03:46AM
I am running out of juice, even with the backup chargers, the water is back, up another 2 feet, probably because the retaining dams upstream did their first releases.
It is still raining, I am starting to feel like Noah, 77 days to go.....
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 28, 2017 05:02AM
max
I am running out of juice, even with the backup chargers, the water is back, up another 2 feet, probably because the retaining dams upstream did their first releases.

max
It is not the rain, it is the runoff from upstream, where the old prairie and rice fields, previously holding water, are now thousands of houses with immediate runoff.
The bayou behind the house has risen 15 feet in the last twelve hours, still rising.
So far we lost one car, the garage, both, gas and electricity.The street in the front of the house has 4 feet water.
The Subarban, sitting at the highest point of the driveway, has water sloshing over floorboards.
We got two feet to go before it comes to the first floor of the house.
We really did not see that much rain here, we have seen a lot more in the past, yet we are getting flooded,
Like never before....

Sheltering in-place? Too late to get west? Have a second story or more? Good luck.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 28, 2017 08:42AM
....be safe everyone....!!!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 28, 2017 09:13AM
Max, stay safe... And I know that your pups will bark at any strangers that swim into the yard.
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: August 28, 2017 09:53AM
My prayers are with all you in Harvey area. I have good friends in Corpus Christy, haven't heard from them, I suspect no cell service, and certain they had to evacuate.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: ArtP
Date: August 28, 2017 09:56AM
Hope everybody makes it through ok - stay safe and try to stay dry.

Can't image this from the reports on the morning news,
Date: August 28, 2017 12:16PM
Thanks all, I will be fine.
It is just another life's oddities one gets to deal with.
Speedy
max

max
It is not the rain, it is the runoff from upstream, where the old prairie and rice fields, previously holding water, are now thousands of houses with immediate runoff.
The bayou behind the house has risen 15 feet in the last twelve hours, still rising.
So far we lost one car, the garage, both, gas and electricity.The street in the front of the house has 4 feet water.
The Subarban, sitting at the highest point of the driveway, has water sloshing over floorboards.
We got two feet to go before it comes to the first floor of the house.
We really did not see that much rain here, we have seen a lot more in the past, yet we are getting flooded,
Like never before....

Sheltering in-place? Too late to get west? Have a second story or more? Good luck.
Yep, I got another story just in case and I fished out a large pool float passing by, as my potential escape pod.
Now I moving food and water upstairs,
I did get a chance to recharge the electronics overnight in my still running Suburban, The water only covers the floorboards right now and it starts.
I still can get out on foot wading through three to four feet of water, but there is no way to get out of the neighborhood after that....
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: August 28, 2017 01:55PM
Anyone down there need me to send them a case of bottled water?

<Rick-o ducks!!>

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Robert M
Date: August 28, 2017 02:21PM
Rick-o,

You can send it but, if the photos I've seen are accurate, then it ain't going to get to most places in the area. I have a shipment ready for a customer in Houston. I can send the order but who knows what is going to happen to it until such a time that UPS can safely make the delivery. I tried contacting them to make sure they were safe and sound but haven't been able to get through via phone. Hopefully, they'll get in touch via email. I'm holding the shipment until I hear from them.

Robert
Posted by: hal
Date: August 28, 2017 04:49PM
Got news that my cousin is ok. He stayed at home and the high water has quite gotten to him - close, but so far, he's ok.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: August 28, 2017 05:48PM
My uncle is in Houston... he and his are high and, well, not DRY, but not flooded.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: August 29, 2017 02:52PM
Very hard to wrap my mind around the scale of the calamity unfolding in Southeast Texas...<smh>
Date: August 29, 2017 03:17PM
Carnos Jax
Very hard to wrap my mind around the scale of the calamity unfolding in Southeast Texas...<smh>

The reservoirs near Houston are overtopping. No doubt this means the water in the streets will be going higher faster.

Date: August 29, 2017 04:59PM
Hey! The sun is out in Sugar Land!

Date: August 29, 2017 05:11PM
Houston Hobby and Houston Int'l have received over 27" of rain each with a couple more inches predicted. Conversely, here in the metro Detroit area, we have had a stationary upper level disturbance that has been dropping some heavy rains. So we have a Flood Advisory posted! There have been cars stopped on the freeways and basements flooded in lower lying areas.
I think of those people cursing and swearing at the traffic stopped or while looking at the four or five inches of water in their basements...

Date: August 29, 2017 06:24PM
Last night I decided to call it a day.
I have a business to run while it was sitting in the middle of lake with only couple dogs for a company, I has no electricity and no gas.
I did have Subarban to charge up all the devices, as needed, the rising water was about to eliminate that options.
The worse part was the lack of coffee, my backup, the little Weber grill floated away yesterday.
And twice daily walk with the dogs was becoming a twice daily swim. With few remaining patches of green being harder and farther to find.
So when the office called again and asked if I am ready to be extracted, I agreed.

It took them over four hours to find the way close enough where I could wade out, with a backpack and two now swimming huskies. Six blocks of a bit higher than waist high water.
The bastards were still releasing water from the upstream dams and claiming "no noticeable effect, the bayou was steady".
Yeah, 3+ feet steady, just last night.
Last night I was dry and had my first warm meal in a couple day over at my daughter's house.
Tonight I will wait out the water going down at the plant.....
Date: August 29, 2017 08:09PM
Thanks for the update, even if it was not as good as we hoped. I heard it will be getting just a bit worse before it gets better. Good luck!

max
I have a business to run while it was sitting in the middle of lake with only couple dogs for a company, I has no electricity and no gas.
I did have Subarban to charge up all the devices, as needed, the rising water was about to eliminate that options.
The worse part was the lack of coffee, my backup, the little Weber grill floated away yesterday.
And twice daily walk with the dogs was becoming a twice daily swim. With few remaining patches of green being harder and farther to find.
So when the office called again and asked if I am ready to be extracted, I agreed.

It took them over four hours to find the way close enough where I could wade out, with a backpack and two now swimming huskies. Six blocks of a bit higher than waist high water.
The bastards were still releasing water from the upstream dams and claiming "no noticeable effect, the bayou was steady".
Last night I was dry and had my first warm meal in a couple day over at my daughter's house.

Posted by: blooz
Date: August 29, 2017 08:42PM
max

Sorry for your troubles, max, but at least you and the dogs are safe and have coffee! Seriously, I hope your damage is minimal.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Date: August 29, 2017 10:43PM
Cop dies in flood traffic accident

[www.aol.com]

"His body was found Tuesday morning, Acevedo said. An investigation determined he had driven off an overpass that was 16.5 feet high, and drowned in the waters below."

Date: August 30, 2017 06:12AM
....headed out then back now to Louisiana......

Date: August 30, 2017 06:24AM
Thx for the update, max. We're pulling for you...

Date: August 30, 2017 09:02AM
Time to invest in drywall manufacturers..
Date: August 30, 2017 09:31AM
....Port Arthur shelter is flooded....evacuating......

Date: August 30, 2017 10:47AM
Scope of the disaster for us not there experiencing it in the Houston environs:

Cedar Bayou 51.88" of rain
Clear Creek 49.4"
Mary's Creek 46.2"
Dayton 46.08"

Now we're hearing the possibility of another system forming in the Gulf in the same area next Tuesday...

Posted by: GeneL
Date: August 30, 2017 12:04PM
Link to interesting explanation of why this weather condition is not moving.
From Bloomberg: [www.bloomberg.com]

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Date: August 30, 2017 12:50PM
Max, glad you're safe and dry. And the doggies are okay !
Date: August 30, 2017 12:59PM
....TV showing long lines for food shopping [ they showed Walmart ]......

Posted by: MarkD
Date: August 30, 2017 01:52PM
Thank you for the prayers and kind thoughts. I have had no water in the house, my Dad is ok, and my brother thinks he is ok from Brazos River flooding. Wife's family in Orange had water in their houses and will help as needed with recovery/repair there, but roads still impassable.
Date: August 30, 2017 02:03PM
DP
Scope of the disaster for us not there experiencing it in the Houston environs:

Cedar Bayou 51.88" of rain
Clear Creek 49.4"
Mary's Creek 46.2"
Dayton 46.08"

Now we're hearing the possibility of another system forming in the Gulf in the same area next Tuesday...

I can't fathom how this much water cannot be causing more flooding and damage than it is. That area of Texas must really be able to get rid of run-off like no other place I can imagine. It always seemed so flat whether I went there by vehicle or plane.

Date: August 30, 2017 05:05PM

Date: August 30, 2017 05:20PM
I can't fathom how this much water

I get it! But, all mirth aside, I agree. The closest I've ever came to a real disaster was way back in '73, I think, which was a half mile away from a tornado.

Date: August 30, 2017 07:25PM
The sun is shining and the water is rising.

I have gone through over 20 hurricanes, I have been in 12 hurricane eyes, after Ike I was without power for a month, and this was not one that hit us directly, but its aftereffects have impacted me the most.
So far...
Date: August 30, 2017 09:15PM
max
The sun is shining and the water is rising.

I have gone through over 20 hurricanes, I have been in 12 hurricane eyes, after Ike I was without power for a month, and this was not one that hit us directly, but its aftereffects have impacted me the most.
So far...

We are pulling for you and hope the water halts its rise now that the rain has stopped.

Date: August 31, 2017 02:51AM
I appreciate the sentiments and all the good wishes.
Personally I am fine, I have friends and family, I have the expertise, means and resources to deal with this.
Others are not so fortunate....
Posted by: billb
Date: August 31, 2017 12:09PM
As resilient as they can be it has to be tough on the little ones who just want to go home to that place where they have always been safe and un-needy with whatever few possessions they've had to call their own. Whatever little that may or may not have been.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 31, 2017 01:27PM
max and pinkoos, you may be in the best position to tell us where to best donate funds, or goods. any suggestions, when you have a moment?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 131
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018