advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Another health topic
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: August 28, 2017 09:07PM
Shingles. Any tips or experiences you'd like to share? They (shingles) seem to suck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2017 09:07PM by ka jowct.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Another health topic
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: August 28, 2017 09:27PM
Sorry to hear about this. I've heard only bad things about shingles. I need to get my shot!

Posted by: wave rider
Date: August 28, 2017 09:43PM
When I had them, Doctor prescribed a number of drugs whose list of side effects effects made me wary. Ended being directed to a compounding pharmacy that would transform the drugs into a topical preparation which worked well. Think it has some lidocaine too...

Be extra cautious if the shingles show up on your head, they can spread to eyes or mouth.

=wr=
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 28, 2017 09:50PM
They really suck. And yes, you can get them before 50. My partner got them @47. So why insurance won't even think of covering the vaccine until you are 60 is BS. Over half of the cases are people over 60. So the OTHER half are younger.

I had chicken pox as a kid, so I can get it at any time. I have a prescription for famcyclovir, an anti-viral for my wicked @#$%& symplex 1, AKA cold sores. Anyway, famcyclovir is used to treat @#$%& zoster, AKA shingles. I always have several days worth on hand. If I even THINK I am getting shingles, I will load my system up and get to a doc pronto. You can head it off before it gets wicked.
Posted by: vicrock
Date: August 28, 2017 10:07PM
Into week 2 as we speak. I had the shot in 2008. I went to the dr when the rash appeared - just an egg sized area - he confirmed shingles - over the next 4 days more small spots appeared - valcyclovir for 7 days. Lower back around to the belly. Not awfully "painful" mostly feels like a bad sunburn - and muscle ache like if you did way too many sit ups.

I don't feel sick and it doesn't hurt if I sit still - but a long car ride and plane trip tomorrow are not going to be fun

Dr. did say in 1 year to get a booster shot.
Posted by: pdq
Date: August 28, 2017 10:10PM
ka jowct
Shingles. Any tips or experiences you'd like to share? They (shingles) seem to suck.

Haven't had em myself, but from what I understand, think of a searing, blistering burn over a patch of your body...that lasts for days into weeks. My mom had them, and when they started, she said it felt like she had been stung by a bee, only she hadn't. Then it got worse and spread.

I'll probably get the vaccine one of these days when I get around to it.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 28, 2017 10:45PM
The vaccine can help even after you begin to have shingles. They won't be as severe.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: August 29, 2017 12:59AM
Anyone know if Medicare covers the shot?
Posted by: Sam3
Date: August 29, 2017 04:10AM
H e r p e s is a banned word? Really?

I had to put RacerX's comment in a quote to be able to make sense of it. I really didn't think he was cursing.
Posted by: riley5108
Date: August 29, 2017 05:30AM
Dennis S
Anyone know if Medicare covers the shot?

The shot falls under your Medicare Part D plan. How much is covered depends totally on their formulary. Ours cost us $30/each copay the insurance picked up the rest.

I have not heard of getting a booster shot for singles -- that's news to me.

- Riley
Southern Indiana, B-Town
Date: August 29, 2017 06:18AM
I had the vaccine a couple of years ago, but it is about 67% effective, so…

The timing was bad, since this time of year is always extremely busy for me, and I wasn't able to see a doc until yesterday. I went to an urgent care clinic. Doc said he didn't think the antivirals would help much since the symptoms appeared probably about 10 days ago, but he prescribed it anyway. The rash started on my back where I can't see it and was not especially noticeable at first. The doc also prescribed diclofenac, and a capsaicin cream.

The Urgent Care experience was good, compared to the hassle of seeing my primary care doctor. I got seen quicker than I ever do at my regular docs, didn't have to get an appointment weeks in advance, etc. Two of my clients independently recommended this particular CityMD place, which is close to where I live.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2017 06:20AM by ka jowct.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 29, 2017 06:47AM
....be careful with urgent care clinics......they are popping up everywhere but there was a news story about how some do not accept insurance or certain insurance plans.........patients don't find out until after the care and then they are on the hook for a lot of money.....some also charge more than hospitals for some procedures, etc......

.....the news story said that many think that the urgent care clinics are the same as real hospital emergency rooms but they are not.........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2017 06:52AM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: rz
Date: August 29, 2017 07:49AM
I'm one of the lucky few who never had chicken pox as a child. When my wife was pregnant, we told our doctor that I never had it and he laughed and said, "yeah, you most likely did and just don't remember." Well, they tested me, and he was surprised that it came up negative. So I got a shot, because getting chicken pox as an adult can be dangerous.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 29, 2017 08:07AM
Mrs. cbelt3 had them.. pretty benign, just a rash. I have a co-worker who had them, and he was miserable for three months.

And we were miserable too.. he kind of complains. ALL the time. I call him "Eeyore".
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: August 29, 2017 08:08AM
I got chicken pox when a senior in high school! Just turned 18. Doc said it was worse case he had ever seen. Got the shingles vaccine as soon as they would give it to me, some years ago. I know it is painful, so k jowt, we're pulling for you!

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Date: August 29, 2017 08:08AM
NewtonMP2100
....be careful with urgent care clinics......they are popping up everywhere but there was a news story about how some do not accept insurance or certain insurance plans.........patients don't find out until after the care and then they are on the hook for a lot of money.....some also charge more than hospitals for some procedures, etc......

.....the news story said that many think that the urgent care clinics are the same as real hospital emergency rooms but they are not.........

I think most people here are clear on the differences. While I was there, a guy who came in was told upfront that they don't accept his plan. They told him what the visit would cost without coverage. They seemed pretty careful about checking out the insurance. I think most plans would rather pay for an urgent care visit than an ER visit. I think the copay on my plans that I've had has been along the lines of $50 for an urgent care visit and $250 for an ER visit.

In NYC, going to the ER should be the last resort, but public hospital ERs are still primary care for a lot of folks. Scheduling a doctor's appointment can result in waiting weeks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2017 08:10AM by ka jowct.
Posted by: billb
Date: August 29, 2017 09:08AM
NewtonMP2100

.....the news story said

LOL

and some people believe what they see in the "news".
It's always prudent to consider the source and their usual menagerie of agendas.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

It's real easy to assume the symptoms are something else.
Not assuming shingles is unfortunately apparently fairly common.It was for me.
[forums.macresource.com]

When the shingles presents itself in the nerve that starts behind your ear, goes up by your eye to the top of your head it hurts like hell. It feels like nails hammered into you.
Can't say if presenting on one part of the body is more or less painful than another. I would assume inflamed nerves are painful wherever.
Supposedly you can be contagious to anyone who has not had chicken pox or the vaccine aroundabout until the blisters scar over so don't go around licking people. :-)
I would not refuse the antivral meds just because you are late and they might be less effective.

A year later and I still have two visible small scars on my eyebrow that itch every now and then. Probably still healing.

I think most people expect shingles to present itself like vicrock, in the chest/stomach area as that is supposedly most common and would be recognizable as such.

I know when I walked into the doctor's office the intern identified my "weird rash " as shingles right off and said it was a not too common place to have it and it must hurt like hell on the face/skull. Towards the end the pain moved into an area right behind my ear.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2017 09:41AM by billb.
Date: August 29, 2017 09:55AM
Billb, I think part of my problem, aside from my crazy work schedule, was that it started on my back where I could not see it. I'd have had to be an owl to look at it. Also, it didn't feel too terrible at first. Then another area that looked like a little welt appeared on my shoulder right next to my armpit. That one I could see, but it looked like maybe I had scratched myself and was having a slightly allergic reaction. It wasn't until I saw and felt blisters that I figured it out. By then I had some weird pains, reminiscent of the pain I had from cubital tunnel syndrome years ago: irritated ulnar nerve. For a while my left arm was slightly sore on the outer side down to the hand. The left side of my face and scalp also felt slightly sore for a couple of days. Luckily, it hasn't affected my head in any other way. I saw pictures on WebMD of what it looks like if it's around the eye. It looks like a much worse experience.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2017 10:09AM by ka jowct.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: August 29, 2017 01:18PM
I had shingles on the upper right quadrant of my face. I had to go to an ophthalmologist to be sure it hadn't gotten in my eyes, which it hadn't, thank goodness. At first I thought it was a rash, then I thought it was bug bites, then someone at the office guessed shingles so I ran to the doctor. My boss flipped out and made me stay home until he couldn't see any signs on my face; evidently he thought he could catch them by proximity.

The shingles hurt but I believe I must have had a mild case compared to many others, because it was far from the worst pain I can remember. Mostly I hated looking like a freak. I certainly did learn why they are called "shingles".

What's odd is that a number of people who worked where I did, most in their 30s and 40s, got shingles during the same year. We think it was stress.

Posted by: rgG
Date: August 29, 2017 01:36PM
Stress, I believe, can bring on a shingles attack. A friend of my daughter got them in high school when everyone was super stressed with SATs and college applications.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: August 29, 2017 02:28PM
$tevie
I had shingles on the upper right quadrant of my face. I had to go to an ophthalmologist to be sure it hadn't gotten in my eyes, which it hadn't, thank goodness. At first I thought it was a rash, then I thought it was bug bites, then someone at the office guessed shingles so I ran to the doctor. My boss flipped out and made me stay home until he couldn't see any signs on my face; evidently he thought he could catch them by proximity.

The shingles hurt but I believe I must have had a mild case compared to many others, because it was far from the worst pain I can remember. Mostly I hated looking like a freak. I certainly did learn why they are called "shingles".

What's odd is that a number of people who worked where I did, most in their 30s and 40s, got shingles during the same year. We think it was stress.

Maybe it is contagious; chicken pox is. Chicken pox is spread mainly among kids. Maybe shingles is spread mainly among younger adults. I'm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2017 02:36PM by Dennis S.
Date: August 29, 2017 02:54PM
Dennis S
$tevie

Maybe it is contagious; chicken pox is. Chicken pox is spread mainly among kids. Maybe shingles is spread mainly among younger adults. I'm

Apparently somewhat contagious. According to WebMD you can give chicken pox to children when you have shingles. I don't know about the stress factor, but stress can affect your immune system, I think. And a weakened immune system can allow the virus to attack.

Don't know if I was stressed, but I was certainly tired, and I never feel happy at the prospect of a major holiday, or for that matter, the end of summer, because during those periods I am running like crazy from job to job, and not getting enough sleep. Although it was much worse before I had a smart phone. I don't think I could stand to do this without my transit apps.
Posted by: Blurb
Date: August 29, 2017 03:25PM
There are anti-viral medications that can treat the shingles very effectively. Stop dissing the oral rx meds that have been around for decades and work! They work better the sooner they are taken in this disease btw.

It amazes me how many people I've seen suffer at home with the shingles because they read on the internet there were no meds to treat it or they read "horrible things" about those same medications. These are the same meds that many people take regularly to control their chronic genital or oral h e r p e s outbreaks. Long history of effectiveness and safety. Heck they've been generic for years too, which shows how long they've been around.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2017 03:26PM by Blurb.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: August 29, 2017 08:18PM
Blurb
These are the same meds that many people take regularly to control their chronic genital or oral h e r p e s outbreaks.
Yeah, for the rest of your life people reading your medical history will ask you if you had @#$%&. I was so confused but now I just respond with, No, I had shingles.

Date: August 29, 2017 08:27PM
I have no problem with taking the meds. I just wish that: a. I had figured out what it was sooner; and b. had not been in the midst of the work schedule from Hades.

For a big chunk of the day today, I felt significantly better. But in the early evening, when the diclofenac had pretty much worn off, and after I had sat in front of the computer for a couple of hours, I felt like I'd been worked over by goons. Odd that sitting in front of the computer would set off such a burst of discomfort. But with Labor Day coming up, I'll be running around like crazy again, not sitting for any length of time. Silver lining.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2017 08:35PM by ka jowct.
Date: August 29, 2017 09:54PM
Sam3
H e r p e s is a banned word? Really?

I had to put RacerX's comment in a quote to be able to make sense of it. I really didn't think he was cursing.

WTF? it was censored? Next thing you know, the common c o l d will be banned because it could imply someone is frigid. dunno smiley
Date: August 29, 2017 10:08PM
Maybe we should be discussing Her Peas.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: August 30, 2017 09:48AM
Newton,

Please don’t put any of this on urgent care clinics and definitely don’t make them out to be the bad guys. The issues you detailed are the responsibility of the patient, not the clinic. It’s the patient’s responsibility to know the difference between an urgent care clinc and the emergency room and it’s the patient’s responsibility to ensure an urgent care clinic accepts his/her health insurance, is in network vs out of network on said insurance, the costs involved if he/she has to pay out of pocket, etc. All very easy to determine. All a patient has to do is ask prior to treatment.

Robert

> ....be careful with urgent care clinics......they are popping up
> everywhere but there was a news story about how some do not
> accept insurance or certain insurance plans.........patients
> don't find out until after the care and then they are on the hook
> for a lot of money.....some also charge more than hospitals for
> some procedures, etc......
>
> .....the news story said that many think that the urgent care
> clinics are the same as real hospital emergency rooms but they
> are not.........
Posted by: JoeH
Date: August 30, 2017 07:59PM
Robert M
Newton,

Please don’t put any of this on urgent care clinics and definitely don’t make them out to be the bad guys. The issues you detailed are the responsibility of the patient, not the clinic. It’s the patient’s responsibility to know the difference between an urgent care clinc and the emergency room and it’s the patient’s responsibility to ensure an urgent care clinic accepts his/her health insurance, is in network vs out of network on said insurance, the costs involved if he/she has to pay out of pocket, etc. All very easy to determine. All a patient has to do is ask prior to treatment.

Robert

> ....be careful with urgent care clinics......they are popping up
> everywhere but there was a news story about how some do not
> accept insurance or certain insurance plans.........patients
> don't find out until after the care and then they are on the hook
> for a lot of money.....some also charge more than hospitals for
> some procedures, etc......
>
> .....the news story said that many think that the urgent care
> clinics are the same as real hospital emergency rooms but they
> are not.........

Sorry Robert, that may apply to some urgent care clinics, but I have come across a number of such who will misinform the potential patient about insurance coverage. The responsible ones will not do this, but others will do anything to get the business, and then bill for services whether or not their clinic has affiliation with a specific health insurance provider. Then use collections to get their money from the patient.
Date: August 30, 2017 09:03PM
My partner has been misinformed/lied to by several Urgent Care clinics about her insurance coverage. Once, all but 1 Dr at the clinic accepted her insurance. She was who was assigned to my partner, despite there being 2 docs on-site at the time. She could have waited an extra 20 minutes or so until the other Dr was free.
Date: August 30, 2017 09:39PM
Joe and Racer,

It's still on the patient to make the inquiry, even if it means a quick call to the insurance company or search on its web site. Like I said, it isn't difficult.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2017 09:40PM by Robert M.
Posted by: Janit
Date: August 30, 2017 09:44PM
Robert M
Joe and Racer,

It's still on the patient to make the inquiry, even if it means a quick call to the insurance company or search on its web site. Like I said, it isn't difficult.

Robert

Always a good idea to investigate the status of local resources before any emergency actually happens -- a lesson going forward.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: August 30, 2017 10:03PM
Robert M
Joe and Racer,

Robert

If the insurance site is up to date, sure... I don't know your experience, but mine is that they are often not up to date. Your response also assumes they can make that call. The reality is not matching your assumptions.
Date: August 31, 2017 04:34AM
Josh,

If a person can't make the calls or check a or two web site, sounds he/she might be going to the wrong place for treatment. Nonetheless, you can say what you want but it is still the responsibility of the patient to confirm coverage. I learned my lesson after I got hit for lab work. Since then, I've always confirmed coverage prior to treatment, purchases (for medicine and such) and even lab work. We're not talking rocket science here.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2017 05:54AM by Robert M.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 31, 2017 06:22AM
....yeah, so check before an emergency even happens [ that is what those urgent care clinics are for, not for regular check-ups ]....guess being clairvoyant does come in handy.....and if they lie to you? take a time machine back in time and do your investigation before the 'emergency' happens....then go forward in time and laugh in their face when they lie to you.....because everything can be taken care of and foreseen with careful planning.....

......some things in life just happen and can not be planned for no matter how much you prepare......most people take the word of a clinic when they say they take your insurance during an emergency......in the heat of the moment emergency when a loved one is in danger, they don't suddenly think.....let me do some research while my loved ones is given care just to be sure or even better......tell the doctors to halt treatment until you can verify the authenticity of the insurance being taken..........dream on.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2017 06:24AM by NewtonMP2100.
Date: August 31, 2017 09:54AM
Newton,

There is a _huge_ difference between an event that takes you to an urgent care clinic and one that requires the emergency room. Please don't try to put them on the same level. Urgent care is for those situations that are inappropriate for the emergency room. Many visits are for those times when you can't see your regular doctor.

Yes, sometimes you just don't have the opportunity to do the checks. In that case, you take your chances. If you're lied to, then take it up with the clinic and sue them if necessary. In the end, the patient is responsible for this stuff. you don't have to like it or agree with me but it doesn't change the facts of the matter.

And, yes, if you get hit, it does suck. Fortunately, in my experience, these places take credit cards and you can fight the bill. Or, worst case, go after them legally.

Robert
Posted by: Blurb
Date: September 02, 2017 03:53PM
Sorry Robert M, but I have worked as a physician for 30+ years and in hospitals for many years prior to that and I cannot keep track of the number of people who will go to their PCP's office or an Urgent Care Clinic for chest pain/heart attack symptoms or a stroke or even nearly cutting off their leg . This is not a black and white question/answer situation when dealing with humans and why they do things especially in times of stress. You cannot assume that people will self-triage and go to ERs for more serious injuries or problems and I can vouch for the fact they do not.

However, you & Newton are both correct: it is ultimately the person/patient/insured's responsibility to not seek care from a non-participating office/clinic/hospital. However, most people do not investigate this before their emergencies. And during any emergency most people lose their common sense to boot, so the concept of their asking first if the facility is in their network is not realistic. And many Urgent Care clinics do not inform the patient they are not in their insurance networks, so Newton is correct as well.

Now add on top of that the proliferation of free-standing ER's (they are just ER's, with NO hospital to admit patients to) which is purely done for profit, and you can see how many people end up with astronomical medical bills that send them to collections despite having insurance. Reality sucks in this situation and likely will continue to until we take the capitalistic profit out of the US healthcare system
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 247
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015