advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Recommendations needed for slide scanning
Posted by: J Marston
Date: August 29, 2017 03:26PM
My wife, dealing with her mother's estate, came across several large boxes of slides, some dating back to the early 1950s. She's chosen several hundred that she would like to keep and wants to find a professional service that will scan them for her.

Do any of you have recommend a good company to contact?

Thanks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Recommendations needed for slide scanning
Posted by: tortoise
Date: August 29, 2017 03:29PM
Costco?
Posted by: davester
Date: August 29, 2017 03:32PM
Digmypics is my choice. Here's a recent review of a number of the best services: [thewirecutter.com]

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: vision63
Date: August 29, 2017 03:37PM
davester
Digmypics is my choice. Here's a recent review of a number of the best services: [thewirecutter.com]

I hope we can see some of them sometime.
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: August 29, 2017 03:48PM
I hope she plans on keeping all the original slides! But scanning a portion of them is probably a better idea than doing all of 'em. Do you know if they are Kodachrome?

Posted by: J Marston
Date: August 29, 2017 04:24PM
Uncle Wig
Do you know if they are Kodachrome?

Most of the older ones are Kodachrom; those from the mid-60s on are a mix of Kodachrome and Ektachrome.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: August 29, 2017 05:45PM
Whatever you do, after reading a couple horror stories a few years ago (not here, and no idea where they were), I would definitely divide the job into batches. Trust no shipper (UPS, Fedex, etc) and no scanning service with ALL of them, ALL at once. Get 1/4 of them done, then another 1/4, etc.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: davester
Date: August 29, 2017 06:16PM
Paul F.
Whatever you do, after reading a couple horror stories a few years ago (not here, and no idea where they were), I would definitely divide the job into batches. Trust no shipper (UPS, Fedex, etc) and no scanning service with ALL of them, ALL at once. Get 1/4 of them done, then another 1/4, etc.

I agree with this as a bit of extra insurance. However, note that keeping them stashed in a shoebox or pile at home without scanning them is far riskier than shipping them offsite, given the potential exposure your prints and negatives have to damaging moisture, heat, dirt, UV, potential fire, ozone, accidental discarding, etc.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: MarkD
Date: August 29, 2017 06:37PM
The family has used scancafe.com for lots and lots of slides and pictures and movie film. Can highly recommend at scancafe.com. Good prices, great clients, great results.
I also had a good experience with Legacy Republic, but that is dependent on the connection with the sales consultant.

I continue to recommend folks get the pictures and slides digitize. The pictures are regularly looked at when digitized.
Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: August 31, 2017 11:37AM
I used Costco several years back. Were they the best? I don't know. Was I happy with the results? Yes. I believe they scanned them locally at the store there, so there was no worry about shipment loss.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 204
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018