advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Another week, another dead iMac drive ..
Posted by: chopper
Date: August 30, 2017 02:58PM
Anybody know the hot ticket to replacing the OEM drive in one of these?

Pretty sure this is a dead drive in every single iMac I have owned, now.

Tried to boot this to/from an external FW drive but would not work; it will boot from an external usb ... weird.

Suggestions welcome.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Another week, another dead iMac drive ..
Posted by: MarkD
Date: August 30, 2017 03:26PM
Our sponsor has a different sized hard drive kit for upgrading/replacing HD along with their video that rates this DIY a 3 out of 5 regarding difficulty. I had someone else do a 2008 upgrade/replacement on a hard drive in a 2008 iMac because I did not want to risk it. I just have a mother board in a 2014 iMac (real thin edges) replaced at the apple store (not under warranty). The labor cost was reasonable; I assume they charge list for the parts. That iMac seemed to be more challenging to take apart.

The external drive solution seems nice and an easy solution. I too, find the lack of a firewire surprising. I justified my internal as an upgrade to extend the life of the machine.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: August 30, 2017 03:52PM
I used the OWC kit to replace the drive in my 27" iMac (2009) system last year. Doable if you have had prior experience working inside slightly tight spaces, and take care when disconnecting the various cables. Took me a couple hours, but I was taking my time.

As for the Firewire not working, not all drives have compatible chipsets to work with some Mac's. For instance I have a portable WD Firewire drive that works fine with my iMac, but doesn't with my 2008 MacBook for booting.

If the Firwire port doesn't work at all, possibly it can be reset. I forget the details, but it involves shutting down the iMac and disconnecting it from AC power.
Posted by: jdc
Date: August 30, 2017 04:26PM
Yeah, for the firewire, shutdown, unplug wait a few minutes, restart

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 148
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018