Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $151.89 ( -1.50 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Very ignorant SSD question.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 30, 2017 03:29PM
Are they all 2.5" format? I am rebuilding a MacPro 1.1 soon (pRON's old machine, and Decay's bare case. Long story) Anyway, I want a SSD as the boot drive, and 3 Big AZZ drives in the other bays, and some externals.

I have found a decent USB 3 card for it, so I'm good there. Will update the machine ID to a 2.1, then put in 2 quad 3.0 processors and a better video card, and call it a day. Probably run 10.11.

Anyway, SSD drive recs?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Very ignorant SSD question.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: August 30, 2017 03:38PM
AFAIK, yes.

OWC seem to be highly regarded. Amiga even spec'd them for their latest box. Samsung Pro also very good.
Date: August 30, 2017 03:47PM
I was leaning to either OWC or Samsung anyway.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: August 30, 2017 03:54PM
For practical purposes, they are all 2.5" for your machine. There are also "blade" style (mSATA, M.2), PCIe cards, and there were some 3.5" if you look hard enough (but those seemed to be specialty drives with ridiculous price tags and not marketed to consumers).
Date: August 30, 2017 04:05PM
Gotcha
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: August 30, 2017 04:11PM
The Samsung 850 Evo that had an expired Fry's ad posted earlier today would have been a good option. SSD prices were driven up because people finally realized how good they were. There are about four factories in various stages of construction to ramp up production. Prices just recently started trending back down to where they were. Buy now if you need it, otherwise wait for a couple of months.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: bik
Date: August 30, 2017 04:37PM
I'm using one of these in a Mac Pro 3.1.
Allows SATA III speeds instead of SATA 2 (as you would have in the stock bays), and the SSD uses every bit of the bandwidth.

[www.amazon.com]

Edit:
Wait. Ignore me.
If you are interested in this, do some research. The PCIE 1 slots in a MP 1,1 may drastically limit the speed, or it might not work at all. Sorry for jumping the gun on that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2017 07:04PM by bik.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 30, 2017 04:53PM
....believe it should be 'ig'nant'........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: AllGold
Date: August 30, 2017 07:10PM
bik
I'm using one of these in a Mac Pro 2.1.
Allows SATA III speeds instead of SATA 2 (as you would have in the stock bays), and the SSD uses every bit of the bandwidth.

[www.amazon.com]

Nothing wrong with that but I'd probably opt for the version our sponsor sells (actually, I DID). If you're not in a hurry, wait for it to show up in the garage sale.

[eshop.macsales.com]

Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: August 30, 2017 07:45PM
AllGold
bik
I'm using one of these in a Mac Pro 2.1.

[www.amazon.com]

Nothing wrong with that but I'd probably opt for the version our sponsor sells (actually, I DID). If you're not in a hurry, wait for it to show up in the garage sale.

[eshop.macsales.com]

The only reason to use this in a MacPro1,1 is so you can use all 4 internal drive bays for mass storage. An SSD installed in one of those drive bays will be a little faster than hooked to the OWC card. This is die to the PCIE 1.0 speed limitations which bic alluded to in his post.

MacPro 1,1 and 2,1s are limited for top SSD speed in this way. Even so, you will realize the vast majority of the increase in speed of an SSD over a spinny HD with the MacPro1,1's SATA-II slots so by all means get an SSD in there. I have one in my MacPro1,1 and it's fab.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2017 07:47PM by Lew Zealand.
Date: August 30, 2017 07:55PM
I'll get it going with a WD Black 7200 that I have right now. Will look for a BF deal, or maybe an OWC garage deal.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 307
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015