Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $170.13 ( -0.05 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Mavericks -> Sierra on MBA 2013
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 31, 2017 07:32PM
Dad has a 2013 MBA (4 GB RAM 128 GB SSD) and I think Mavericks no longer gets security updates, so before he returns to his home country, I would like to install Sierra to bring him up to date. I know it will be a slight downgrade for him.

Usually i like to nuke and pave, but this time I need to save time, besides his system is pretty clean, he did not install much software, computer runs fine, I made a CCC backup and I scanned the start up drive (and fixed a minor issue) and I also ran MalWare Bytes and everything seems OK. I will try to install Sierra on top of Mavericks, not nuke and pave like usual. I heard MS Office 2008 is difficult to install in Sierra but should work OK if it was installed in an earlier OS and then updated to Sierra.

Questions:

iPhoto 9.5.1, does it still work OK in Sierra?

MS Office 2008: same questions. If the MS Office 2008 is already installed and then I install Sierra, it should run fine, can someone confirm this?

Finally his eye sight is not that good anymore and I keep rearing complains about the GUI in the latest OS X version. Any tips to improve usability for him? And that bring me back to Jony Ive who doesn't seem to understand that older folks have trouble seeing his latest color schemes. He will understand some day, but that will be too late for most of us.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Mavericks -> Sierra on MBA 2013
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 31, 2017 07:35PM
Office 2008 works fine in Sierra for me.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: August 31, 2017 07:41PM
You may have to try turning off font smoothing. I've read complaints about Sierra not doing well with non-Retina screens. I found my system font slightly more readable after turning it off on my MBP.
Posted by: numbered
Date: September 01, 2017 12:42PM
On iPhoto, there was an upgrade to 9.6.1 before the move to Photos. The update runs fine in Sierra. (Not sure about 9.5.1) That said, there was some funkiness to being able to get iPhoto at all from the AppStore after Photos was introduced.

Also, with Sierra, the first time you touch any photo need (eg, syncing with a phone) Sierra will launch Photos, create a converted photo library, and warn you not to use iPhoto. (because you will lose version control over your photo library if you use both.)
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 01, 2017 05:13PM
It seems the transition went fine.

I was able to update iPhoto to 9.6.1 from App store and now it opens. I didn't try MS Office yet, but so far all other programs seem to work fine.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 242
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015