advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Opinions on new windows and siding
Posted by: Ammo
Date: September 01, 2017 12:46PM
Our house is almost 50 years old and it still has its original windows and siding. Needless to say, they are mostly at end of their useful life.

I have 2 estimators coming out next week. From what I've heard, we'll have many options to consider for methods and materials. If you've been there/done that, what advice do you have?

Always remember that your present situation is not your final destination.

"The opposite for courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow." Jim Hightower
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Opinions on new windows and siding
Posted by: Cary
Date: September 01, 2017 02:05PM
A lot depends on the style of your house, the size, the weather conditions, the neighborhood, and your budget.

For instance, if you live in a colonial in a historic neighborhood your material choices would be different than in a neighborhood of ranches, California bungalows, or Mcmansions.

The colonial almost demands double-hung windows and wood or fiber cement horizontal siding, or cedar shakes. The ranch might call for casement windows, or double hung, or sliders, and vinyl sididng may or may not be appropriate.

Need more info...
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 01, 2017 02:17PM
Also in hurricane zones armored windows are a thing. Or real storm shutters.. note those fake plastic ones.

And definitely if you are considering siding, look into adding a layer of insulation into the walls. Because if you've bumped up your attic insulation and are replacing windows, your wall insulation will be the real heat loss point.
Posted by: MikeF
Date: September 01, 2017 02:21PM
cbelt3
And definitely if you are considering siding, look into adding a layer of insulation into the walls.

This. And the fact that the new siding will cover any patched holes in the exterior walls to get that insulation into the wall cavities.
Date: September 01, 2017 02:47PM
More info to OP: Our house is an ordinary 4-level stick-built suburban home with wooden siding and windows. We hope to replace both with no or low-maintenance products.

"The opposite for courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow." Jim Hightower
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 01, 2017 03:04PM
Here in Nor Cal -- there are probably less than 1% of the homes within 100+ miles that are 4 levels or have any kind of siding.

Id say less than 5% have a basement, let alone a finished or finishable one... my last home to have a a basement was built in 1928 and it was a 1/4 basement that was mostly dirt and concrete that was open to the floorboards.

Everything here is vynil windows, usually triple pane, but no hurricane reinforcement.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Pam
Date: September 01, 2017 03:12PM
Do the windows first, then siding. I had vinyl siding installed over hardi plank. Haven't done my windows yet, just 2 of 4 sliders. My original windows are casemate and that's what I'd like to stick with.
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 01, 2017 03:17PM
We had the walls filled with cellulose, layered the old siding with furring strips, rigid foam between the strips, and vinyl siding on top. The siding job survived a tornado passing on the block behind, and it still looks great 20 years later.

For windows we went with a local firm that made vinyl-clad windows. A little more sturdy than all-vinyl windows.

Vinyl siding and vinyl windows were more than adequate to be consistent with the level of build quality in my 1950's blue-collar tract housing neighborhood.
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: September 01, 2017 03:20PM
My top window is aluminum clad wood. Wood on inside, aluminum on outside. Totally maintenance free and great insulation. Siding, HardiPlank, or some such cement fiber board. I'm right now completely redoing a 117 year old house, down to the studs both floors. I'll use spray foam insulation, windows as I mentioned, HardiPlank lap siding, soffits, etc. A maintenance free house.

Vinyl windows don't work in very hot places, e.g., Arizona, etc. Sun can warp them. Same for vinyl siding, that's why you rarely see it in dark colors, except a few places. I can spot vinyl siding a proverbial mile away. Don't like it.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: billb
Date: September 01, 2017 03:51PM
where are you

windows and siding for a Gulf Coast house might be poor choices for upstate Vermont.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Date: September 01, 2017 04:43PM
billb
where are you

windows and siding for a Gulf Coast house might be poor choices for upstate Vermont.

Minnesota. After all the storms in both the south and the east lately, I feel lucky to be where I am. Occasional hurricanes, but besides the mosquitos up north, that's about it.

Posted by: modelamac
Date: September 01, 2017 05:17PM
Ammo,

Our house was built in 1966. We are the original owners. About 30 years ago we (I) replaced all windows with Pella windows. We noticed the drop in heat loss and sound penetration immediately. Two years ago we had to replace 5 of those, all second floor units facing west and south. The crank mechanism failed on 3 of them and most had some frame rot due to condensation. We again went with Pella and again notice an additional drop in those two factors, but not nearly as significant. In both instances, the quality of the window was the determining factor.

About ten years ago had the original aluminum siding replaced (my 2 boys and I painted it in the late eighties) with insulated vinyl siding after adding 1" of foam board. Again, we noticed a drop in heat loss during the winter. Summers here in SE MI are not that to for extended periods, so I cannot say what effect any of this had on our AC bills (separate electric meter).

Bottom line: Don't do either unless you are prepared to pay for the upgrades. Do the windows first.

Ammo
Our house is almost 50 years old and it still has its original windows and siding. Needless to say, they are mostly at end of their useful life.

I have 2 estimators coming out next week. From what I've heard, we'll have many options to consider for methods and materials. If you've been there/done that, what advice do you have?

Mr. Curmudgeon, on Mav/EC/Sierra/blood thinner & some other "old people pills".
Posted by: lost in space
Date: September 01, 2017 06:36PM
We had double-pane low-E custom windows put in about 5 years ago when there was a fat rebate given by the feds and our local power company. Our house was built in the mid 50s, so most of the windows are wide and low, which to me required custom widows. Our neighbor did his with stock windows, which left him with wide trim and small windows, giving his house a bunker look. We opted to have the trim covered in powder coated aluminum, so with our brick walls, there's nothing left on the exterior that needs painting. We got a huge improvement in heat retention and drafts, and a much cooler house in summer. Well worth the investment!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 130
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015