advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Dog question
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 01, 2017 10:45PM
my friend was abroad this week and we take care of his dog. He comes back on Sunday so it's only a few days I have to do this.

The dog (about 1 year old I guess?) has diarrhea. we took care of his dog in the past and she always had bowel movement 2x a day and it was pretty solid. This morning we found soft stool in the mud room, luckily the mud room is tiles and it was easy to clean compared to carpet or hardwood floor. We took the dog out again at 2 PM, then another friend was there to take the dog out at 6 PM and the dog pooped outside, and then at 9 PM I went to take the dog out one last time for today and again I found three patches of soft poop in the mud room. cleaning was not fun. took the dog out for a 30 min walk and she peed and apparently tried to poop once but quickly gave up.

The friend left some dry dog food and a few cans of meat (I didn't check but I think it is chicken). he said to mix the meat with the dry food, and a can should last 2 days or so. I wonder if it makes sense to feed the dog only dry food for now until the dog gets better (solid stool again). Please advice. I could call the friend abroad, but I don't want to add stress to his already busy schedule for this business trip.

The dog is a mix of black lab and boxer.

Thanks for the advice.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Dog question
Posted by: billb
Date: September 01, 2017 11:02PM
a change of diet can cause stomach problems with some dog breeds
including gas

I might be inclined to add more (cooked) chicken and less dry food but it might be best not to change anything

separation anxiety can cause diarrhea too

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: $tevie
Date: September 02, 2017 12:16AM
Feed him some pumpkin: [www.akc.org]

When my dog was still alive, I used pumpkin to treat diarrhea so I can vouch for it.

Posted by: Pam
Date: September 02, 2017 05:09AM
Dogs get into stuff, and stress can trigger it too. As long as the dog is eating, drinking water, and otherwise seems normal I'd guess it's stress from being left alone. Adding a heaping spoonful of pumpkin can help. New food can also trigger upset. Hopefully the guy didn't change food right before he left.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: September 02, 2017 07:30AM
You could mix a little cooked rice into the wet food also.
Date: September 02, 2017 07:32AM
Thanks folks. Good news: Dog didn't poop inside since last night, and ate all the food I left. Will go back to check late morning, and then several more times during the day.
Posted by: bik
Date: September 02, 2017 09:06AM
Sounds like things might be all right, but if there is a repeat, don't feed anything at all for 12-24 hours, then start back with something mild and easy to digest like boiled chicken and white rice.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: September 02, 2017 10:48AM
$tevie

When my dog was still alive, I used pumpkin to treat diarrhea so I can vouch for it.

i was going to suggest pumpkin too. pro tip - it's in the baking aisle of grocery stores. learned this when i searched up and down the aisles of kroger a few months ago trying to find pumpkin for my dog. my logical mind said it should have been with the other canned fruits.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 02, 2017 12:20PM
....they put it near pie filling stuff......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: September 02, 2017 12:58PM
NewtonMP2100
....they put it near pie filling stuff......

Which is usually in the baking aisle.
Posted by: rgG
Date: September 02, 2017 02:48PM
graylocks
$tevie

i was going to suggest pumpkin too. pro tip - it's in the baking aisle of grocery stores. learned this when i searched up and down the aisles of kroger a few months ago trying to find pumpkin for my dog. my logical mind said it should have been with the other canned fruits.

Yep, did the exact same thing when hunting for canned pumpkin for kitty with digestive issues.
It is in the baking section with the pie fillings, who knew, certainly not me.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: billb
Date: September 02, 2017 03:20PM
heh, with the canned cherries, canned peach slices and canned mixed fruit at the PriceRite here.

I'd have to go look to be sure but in the baking aisle next to frosting and cake candles is where you find cherry and pumpkin pie filling at Market Basket, Shaws and Stop and Shop.

We shop at those four but not Walmart or Target. I've run in to Target for one or two things a couple times but not shopping with a buggy. Once I walked, The new Target is just aroundabout 1.5 miles or so away.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Date: September 03, 2017 02:07AM
....you must be all....pooped out......

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 03, 2017 10:10AM
I never heard about pumpkin before, thanks for the tip.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: graylocks
Date: September 03, 2017 10:25AM
Ombligo

pumpkin is great in that it helps whether the animal is constipated or has diarrhea.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: September 03, 2017 11:13AM
graylocks
Ombligo

pumpkin is great in that it helps whether the animal is constipated or has diarrhea.

so feed the animal pumpkin all the time!
Date: September 03, 2017 12:20PM
....works for humans...too.....

Posted by: Pam
Date: September 03, 2017 03:52PM
Most dogs love pumpkin. I use pumpkin in a lot of my baking so Ena is right there to play taste tester.
Posted by: rgG
Date: September 03, 2017 06:02PM
space-time
graylocks
Ombligo

so feed the animal pumpkin all the time!

Eventually their system gets used to it and it is less effective, at least for constipation.
I have a cat that was on pumpkin for quite a while and I can attest to this.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 134
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015