advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Gas Prices - Big Jump Here, How Is Yours?
Posted by: JoeH
Date: September 02, 2017 09:23AM
I went out shopping last night and passed a several gasoline sellers, noticed the price had gone up over 30 cents a gallon since the beginning of the week. There had been a few cents increase on Monday or Tuesday already, so this was a total of about 35-40 cents since last week. This also put the price for regular gas higher than the posted price for diesel. A small increase is normal in this area for the Labor Day weekend, but they will probably explain this as being caused by Harvey even though supplies for this area come from elsewhere.

So, is this just in my area or are others seeing sudden increases like this?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Gas Prices - Big Jump Here, How Is Yours?
Posted by: billb
Date: September 02, 2017 09:28AM
gas prices are up just about everywhere due to Harvey.

where your supplies usually come from have now changed to varying degrees.

[www.gasbuddy.com]

edit: added link to gas buddy for informational purposes

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2017 09:32AM by billb.
Posted by: rapayn1
Date: September 02, 2017 09:47AM
$2.69 a gallon for regular unleaded here (which was already too high) on Monday, and now $2.99 today. Exxon. Criminal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2017 09:47AM by rapayn1.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: September 02, 2017 09:53AM
Up about .15 here, to 2.75.

Posted by: billb
Date: September 02, 2017 09:59AM
wholesale gas prices are controlled by investors not the majors
Harvey's not the only reason for current and recent prices:
[www.nasdaq.com]

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: JoeBob
Date: September 02, 2017 10:04AM
$2.19 to $2.65 this week.
Posted by: riley5108
Date: September 02, 2017 10:04AM
We are Not getting our gas from the eastern pipeline; however, the prices have jumped $0.30 locally. I suppose part of that is because of Labor Day and they'll blame Harvey as well. Running about $2.53 to $2.55 here with a few stations northwest of here about 80 miles at $2.29. It appears to be going up even more, a town off of I-65 Columbus, IN reporting $2,80 30 minutes ago.

- Riley
Southern Indiana, B-Town
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 02, 2017 10:06AM
Been going up a dime a day.. $2.60 yesterday.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 02, 2017 10:10AM
rapayn1
$2.69 a gallon for regular unleaded here (which was already too high) on Monday, and now $2.99 today. Exxon. Criminal.

Up 10 here in sacramento from 2.55 to 2.65 at my am/pm.

Exxon, chevron and shell are *always* 20 - 25 more than that.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: September 02, 2017 10:18AM
up .30+ here and i just tool around town on battery power in my Volt grinning from ear to ear. i do hope prices soften in the next two weeks though as i will be taking a 1200 mile trip that will be mostly on gas. still, the volt on gas gets 40mpg which is a big improvement over my minivan.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2017 10:18AM by graylocks.
Posted by: wurm
Date: September 02, 2017 10:36AM
Harvey just gave them all the perfect excuse to jack up the prices. Paid $2.25 last week. Just drove by the station this morning and it was $2.65.
Posted by: DP
Date: September 02, 2017 10:38AM
Still, do we remember when it was $4.25 per? And that was not influenced by refineries closing for a storm..

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 02, 2017 11:16AM
....no worries, just had Mexican......now lotsa' free gas is available.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: September 02, 2017 11:23AM
We were hovering around $2.00 here in Central AR (Arkansas, not Arizona) through the last few months; yesterday I filled up at $2.39.

Posted by: testcase
Date: September 02, 2017 11:25AM
My local Costco had regular for $2.379/gallon yesterday afternoon. I topped off my Prius and filled two, five-gallon gas containers. I'm good for a month now. According to Gas Buddy, it's STILL that price at Costco. Most local stations are $0.30 ~ $0.60 per gallon higher.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 02, 2017 11:40AM
graylocks
up .30+ here and i just tool around town on battery power in my Volt grinning from ear to ear. i do hope prices soften in the next two weeks though as i will be taking a 1200 mile trip that will be mostly on gas. still, the volt on gas gets 40mpg which is a big improvement over my minivan.

That's too bad, my Prius Plug-in on gas gets 55. smiley-signs117
Posted by: graylocks
Date: September 02, 2017 12:03PM
Racer X
graylocks

That's too bad, my Prius Plug-in on gas gets 55. smiley-signs117

yeah but the 11 mile range of the prius plug in would barely get me to work each day much less back home again. currently get 46 miles EV on the volt. bought 3 gallons of gas on 8/5. only needed to use 1.1 gallons of it so far.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: September 02, 2017 12:08PM
This will age, but it shows the price jumped about $0.23 nationally. It should drop in a week or two, assuming the refineries can get gasoline flowing in the pipelines.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 02, 2017 12:27PM
I filled up one car at Costco last night with 2.32 (2.319). This morning I saw 2.80 at Valero but I could not enter due to a construction. Next gas station a BP was $3 (2.999). I didn't want to go back 1 mile, so I filled there. This is NJ, where we have full service and gas tax went up by about 20-25 cents about a year ago. before than gas was much cheaper then PA or NY. I believe were are close to NY prices not but still cheaper than PA.
Posted by: Pam
Date: September 02, 2017 12:35PM
I paid $1.95 last week at BJ's. Today it's $2.32. Other gas stations nearby are charging up to $2.50.
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: September 02, 2017 01:33PM
Up $.30 a gallon here. Lip off. a true lip off I tell ye.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: September 02, 2017 01:44PM
It was $2.44 last week when I filled up. A few days ago it jumped to $2.65 in my dinky little one traffic light town.

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: September 02, 2017 04:50PM
$2.17 a week ago to $2.60 now but here's the kicker. Here's the traded price on the Commodities market.
Check the sharp drop Friday. This is per 100 gallons.

[www.bloomberg.com]

Grateful11
Posted by: 3d
Date: September 02, 2017 05:48PM
$2.99 at the gas station by the highway.
Posted by: Michael
Date: September 02, 2017 09:29PM
It's gone up .60 in the last week. A couple of days ago GasBuddy showed a station with $2.39 gas that was confirmed a couple of hours previously. I drove a couple of miles out of my way to fill up my truck. It was $2.69 when I got there.
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: September 02, 2017 10:18PM
My station was $2.29, now it's $2.63

Dave

The secret to a long life is...

Don't do anything to shorten it.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: September 02, 2017 10:54PM
Just since yesterday a couple stations I passed have gone up even more. Two were at $2.31 at the beginning of the week, $2.60-something Friday and $2.73 the evening.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 03, 2017 03:08PM
Gasbuddy reports the most common price locally is $2.469 for regular as well as for Diesel.

I filled our Diesel VW Passat in July just before a 250 mile trip and I can go another 350 miles with what remains in the tank. We'll take another 250 mile trip this month and I may fill it afterwards. Or I may wait to see what prices do. We get a few cents discount every time we buy groceries and it is cumulative and sits now at 34¢/gallon (which has to be used in a single visit in one pumping). Although it may be wiser for me to wait a couple of months until it is 60¢ or so and then fill the VW with winterized fuel (available November 1) to get me through to spring. I just checked my logs and I have bought a little less than 39 gallons this year (~16 gal. capacity tank).

Depending on how much snow we get, I will need to fill the snowblower (it is full now with five gallons and I have an additional six gallons of Diesel on hand in a can). It uses four or five gallons a day when we get a foot or so of snow (I do between 30 and 50 driveways in the neighborhood). Our lawnmower uses about 10 gallons a season so I don't pay the price much mind when I fill it however I did buy 2.5 gallons the other day at $2.399. I'll mow two or three more times this season and my zero-turn rider will use a half gallon each time (0.42 acres total lot size including the house and driveway, Runkeeper reports I go a mile round and round my yard each mowing).

But our daily driver, like graylock's, is a Volt so I don't pay much attention to gas prices. We have filled it (~nine gallon capacity tank) three times since we brought it home in April of 2016 (most of that was used to keep the cabin warm during the winter).

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2017 03:11PM by Speedy.
Posted by: bfd
Date: September 03, 2017 06:34PM
… at least down in the far southwest corner, one can get 20¢/gal off from Albertsons/Vons at Chevron. Add to that another 13¢/gal for using their credit card, and your gallon of fuel comes in a few pennies less than Arco's. Chevron was at $3.139 today and the discount makes it $2.809 - Arco Reg is $2.859.

Independents are right in that range, which is about a 20¢/gallon increase over a few weeks ago. Not sure how much the holiday weekend is influencing things, so there's also that to consider.
Posted by: max
Date: September 03, 2017 11:39PM
Speedy

Depending on how much snow we get, I will need to fill the snowblower (it is full now with five gallons and I have an additional six gallons of Diesel on hand in a can). It uses four or five gallons a day when we get a foot or so of snow (I do between 30 and 50 driveways in the neighborhood).

What?
You got one of these?....
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: September 04, 2017 02:09PM
cheapest here went from $2.28 to $2.63/gallon for regular unleaded overnight.

diesel's maybe $0.10/gallon more.

have a buddy who snatched up one of the last of those (had to be retrofitted before sold) 2015 VW TDi Passats recently...
Posted by: decay
Date: September 04, 2017 09:44PM
around $2.80-$3.00/gal here in Eastern PA.

Costco has it for $2.65 at the moment.

---
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 258
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015