Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $170.13 ( -0.05 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Hurricane Irma - bears watching
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 04, 2017 06:27AM
I'n starting to keep an eye on Irma, and make sone what-if plans. Things can change dramatically at this point, but it still needs to be watched if your in Florida.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Hurricane Irma - bears watching
Posted by: Pam
Date: September 04, 2017 06:42AM
Needs to be watched all along the east coast and gulf. The GFS has been trending towards the west. Runs on Sat and Sun started looking more like the European model (which showed threats to the east coast). This am the GFS is west of the Euro. Watch the trends. The Euro has been more accurate than the GFS.
Posted by: Mr645
Date: September 04, 2017 07:11AM
Watching yes, but were 3-4 days away from having any reasonable prediction to know if Irma will even hit the US.
Posted by: billb
Date: September 04, 2017 07:16AM
If I was in Florida I would be preparing my Plan A - shutter the place and get out of dodge, and Plan B = shelter in place plans. If you wait till the last minutes there's lines. or empty shelves.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: September 04, 2017 07:24AM

Bears. Watching.
Which one's Irma?
Posted by: Pam
Date: September 04, 2017 07:41AM
Mike's Weather page is a good, one stop shopping site for latest model runs. Animations on his Facebook page are informative as well.

[spaghettimodels.com]
Posted by: testcase
Date: September 04, 2017 08:50AM
Steve G.

Bears. Watching.
Which one's Irma?

smiley-laughing001
Posted by: billb
Date: September 04, 2017 08:54AM
Seems some stores in Fla are already out of water, gas cans and some other items.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: September 04, 2017 11:39AM
That map showing potential tracks is interesting, but some tracks are far more statistically likely than others. For example, it's pretty rare for a hurricane to re-curve back towards the western coast of Florida.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: September 04, 2017 12:26PM
Steve G.

Bears. Watching.
Which one's Irma?

Exactly my reaction!
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 04, 2017 03:25PM
....watching bears......in boystown....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: September 04, 2017 03:35PM

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: rz
Date: September 04, 2017 07:11PM
freeradical
For example, it's pretty rare for a hurricane to re-curve back towards the western coast of Florida.

Uh, yeah, but that's exactly what happened in 2004 with hurricane Charley. It went south of Cuba, then curled back into the Gulf and crossed into Florida from west to east. Passed directly over us in Orlando. Hit as a Category 3, but was "only" a Category 1 when it passed over us. Saving grace was that it was moving fast... like close to 30mph, so it came and went fast. Did a fair amount of damage, but no real problem with flooding as I recall. We got that later with hurricanes Jeanne and Frances. We lost power for 5 days.

We started our hurricane prep today. We bought new gas cans. Our old ones used to leak when we poured from them. We got ones that actually pour from the bottom. They rate really well. Wife bought a case of water. We have a generator, lots of lanterns, plenty of batteries, portable air conditioners, several full propane tanks. We should be ok.
Posted by: tenders
Date: September 04, 2017 08:34PM
I'm in NY, but I laid up 25 gallons of gas with Sta-Bil preservative in my garage in jerrycans the second I heard Harvey was headed towards Houston. After Sandy, I don't have patience to deal with the angst and butthurt over gas hoarding/shortages, and after hurricane season passes it's certainly easy enough to use the gas for snowthrowers, vehicles, etc.

I also got a portable generator with a natgas carburetor...that will run for weeks if we need it to.

These preparations virtually guarantee that no storm of significant size will hit the NYC area. You're welcome.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: September 04, 2017 11:30PM
LOL tenders....guess we must all do our part.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: September 05, 2017 12:30PM
tenders
I'm in NY, but I laid up 25 gallons of gas with Sta-Bil preservative in my garage in jerrycans the second I heard Harvey was headed towards Houston. After Sandy, I don't have patience to deal with the angst and butthurt over gas hoarding/shortages, and after hurricane season passes it's certainly easy enough to use the gas for snowthrowers, vehicles, etc.

I also got a portable generator with a natgas carburetor...that will run for weeks if we need it to.

These preparations virtually guarantee that no storm of significant size will hit the NYC area. You're welcome.

Thank you!!!!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 155
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015