Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $151.89 ( -1.50 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Speaking of Bikes, the rear wheel wobbles a little
Posted by: Microman
Date: September 05, 2017 08:43AM
The rear wheel on this no name driver bike. No speeds, just cheap mans bike. I needed to run thru the maintenance and check tire pressure. Which should be ?. I have always just pumped it up to see that it looked good when weight is on it.

But main problem is with the rear wheel. It is secure with nuts holding it on tight. But the wheel itself has a wobble to it. I have taken it in to a local whole in the wall bike shop, and had it tightened before, but now it seems to be loose again.

Can I take this rear wheel off the rear, and chain, and tighten some other nut that hold the spinning center of the wheel with its bearing/brake internals?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Speaking of Bikes, the rear wheel wobbles a little
Posted by: testcase
Date: September 05, 2017 09:15AM
Possible that some spokes need adjusting?
Posted by: davester
Date: September 05, 2017 09:24AM
If it's actually excess play in the bearings rather than an out-of-true rim, you will need to adjust the bearing free play and tighten the locknut per one of the first two procedures on this page: [www.parktool.com] . Generally you need a cone wrench to do this, though you might be able to get away with some very thin pliers to hold the cone steady while you tighten the lock nut. Why not just take it back to the bike shop and tell them that they apparently didn't tighten the lock nut enough?

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: September 05, 2017 11:42AM
Microman
I needed to run thru the maintenance and check tire pressure. Which should be ?

That will depend on the tire itself but typically in the range of 50–80 psi. The recommended or maximum pressure may be marked on the tire. Take a look.

But main problem is with the rear wheel. It is secure with nuts holding it on tight. But the wheel itself has a wobble to it.

If the wheel is secure but it wobbles, then either the hub bearing is out of adjustment or the wheel itself is out of "true" or both. It's a good idea to have someone experienced check it out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2017 03:45PM by Article Accelerator.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 06, 2017 07:23AM
....Weebles wobble, but they don't fall down.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 327
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015