advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Irma is getting really ugly..
Posted by: DP
Date: September 05, 2017 02:19PM
Now a Category 5 with 185 mph winds and the barometer is down to 926 mb which, if my formula is correct, equates to 27.34 inches of mercury. Looks like some of the Islands are going to get it dead on.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Irma is getting really ugly..
Posted by: p8712
Date: September 05, 2017 02:30PM
On Florida's west cost - St. Pete. I'm right on the edge of an evac zone. Crossing my fingers.
Posted by: pdq
Date: September 05, 2017 02:31PM
The National Hurricane Center tweets:

#Irma is the strongest #hurricane in the Atlantic basin outside of the Caribbean Sea & Gulf of Mexico in NHC records

I find that hard to believe - surely there have been Cat 5 hurricanes in the Atlantic before - but it is big and has high winds and is travelling along a line which will likely hit quite a few of the Caribbean islands and South Florida.

(Some nice video/animations of Irma at that link).
Date: September 05, 2017 02:36PM
It says "in NHC records". I'm sure there were monster storms before record keeping got started.
And, there's Jose now forming in the Atlantic...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
Posted by: pdq
Date: September 05, 2017 02:45PM
Yeah, "J" is looking less intense than "I" or "H", and not as directed at places where people live...

...but still, it's going to be a little weird that Jose looks like it will be only, like 4 days behind Irma:

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 05, 2017 02:45PM
In Crystal River with fingers crossed. My mother is in bradenton, I'll pick her up Saturday morning and bring her to my place. Sunday will be putting the hurricane shutters in place.

Gas lines are long; Water is sold out at Walmart, Publix, Winn-Dixie, Lowes, etc. Wal-mart is suppose to get a delivery late tonight. I'm going to hit the store around 5:30am tomorrow when things may be quieter and restocked.

Leave it to Florida to copy something that Texas did.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: p8712
Date: September 05, 2017 02:47PM
[quoteGas lines are long; Water is sold out at Walmart, Publix, Winn-Dixie, Lowes, etc. Wal-mart is suppose to get a delivery late tonight. I'm going to hit the store around 5:30am tomorrow when things may be quieter and restocked. ][/quote]

I bought a lifestraw and have tons of food.
Date: September 05, 2017 03:01PM
Water is sold out at Walmart

This always surprises me. Why don't people fill jugs and containers with tap water? It's right there, coming right out of the spigot...

Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: September 05, 2017 03:02PM
In most disasters, there's frequently not a shortage of water, but a shortage of potable water. I purchased a half dozen lifestraws, and a LifeSaver Jerrycan that I hope to never ever need. Hauling around gallons of water just isn't viable, but carrying a filter in a backpack is.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Michael
Date: September 05, 2017 03:11PM
I have a nephew in medical school in Miami. I told him he could get in his car and drive to N GA and we'd let him watch Irma on TV. He could bring all the friends he wanted; we'll buy enough barbecue, beer and pizza to feed the hordes. He said they haven't cancelled classes yet; a "75-80% chance isn't high enough." Around here we cancel classes if 2 snowflakes form at 20,000 feet.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 05, 2017 03:12PM
....Irma la Douce......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: billb
Date: September 05, 2017 03:20PM
pdq
The National Hurricane Center tweets:

#Irma is the strongest #hurricane in the Atlantic basin outside of the Caribbean Sea & Gulf of Mexico in NHC records

I find that hard to believe - surely there have been Cat 5 hurricanes in the Atlantic before - but it is big and has high winds and is travelling along a line which will likely hit quite a few of the Caribbean islands and South Florida.

(Some nice video/animations of Irma at that link).

strongest hurricane
playin a little loose and crazy with the word strongest maybe

I'm supposed to be in BVI hiking Oct 16 -27th. I may be volunteer roofing. dunno smiley

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Date: September 05, 2017 04:04PM
In most disasters, there's frequently not a shortage of water, but a shortage of potable water

Yes, after the storm. Fill up those containers from your tap before the storm. A case of twenty-four half liter bottles is 3.16 gallons total. I know friends in storm-prone areas that have saved a lot of 1 gallon milk jugs to fill just in case. I have known people where I teach,-e.g., college kids, mostly-that won't drink water from a water fountain in the hallway and only drink bottled water.

Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: September 05, 2017 04:37PM
Wow, 185 mph winds now.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 05, 2017 04:38PM
DP
In most disasters, there's frequently not a shortage of water, but a shortage of potable water

Yes, after the storm. Fill up those containers from your tap before the storm. A case of twenty-four half liter bottles is 3.16 gallons total. I know friends in storm-prone areas that have saved a lot of 1 gallon milk jugs to fill just in case. I have known people where I teach,-e.g., college kids, mostly-that won't drink water from a water fountain in the hallway and only drink bottled water.
Those rubbermaid 18 gallon roughneck totes are awesome. Clean them out with bleach and potable water, rinse them well. Then fill halfway with potable water and snap on the lid. Stack 'em in the bathtub if you like.
When our basement flooded in '05, everything was okay because the stuff we had stored down there was packed in those totes. They floated. And we only really had perhaps 4 inches of clean filtered rain water from the sump pump backup.
Date: September 05, 2017 04:45PM
Hurricane Allen was supposedly 190 mph winds so who knows what they're using for a metric for Irma beyond hyping it ignoring usual stats.

Hurricanes are usually rated by the low pressure in the center and Irma isn't close to the record-holders.
Yet.

A boring hurricane doesn't make ad-server money like a hyped one. Camera

The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: September 05, 2017 05:08PM
DP
Water is sold out at Walmart

This always surprises me. Why don't people fill jugs and containers with tap water? It's right there, coming right out of the spigot...

You can buy a water bladder that goes in the tub and fill it as well. As long as you have another bathing facility it may be a good option.

If you can recycle gray water, it can be used to flush toilets assuming that the sewers haven't backed up.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: September 05, 2017 05:22PM
billb
Hurricane Allen was supposedly 190 mph winds so who knows what they're using for a metric for Irma beyond hyping it ignoring usual stats.

Hurricanes are usually rated by the low pressure in the center and Irma isn't close to the record-holders.
Yet.

A boring hurricane doesn't make ad-server money like a hyped one. Camera

Look at the details. Allen was at max in the Caribbean and the NHC is referring to hurricane strength while still located in the Atlantic. Yeah, a nitpicky detail so they can claim most extreme this and that, but their claim seems to be accurate.
Posted by: richorlin
Date: September 05, 2017 05:36PM
We were scheduled to fly to Tampa on Weds for a friend's wedding this Sat. We had rented a bungalow off of Sunset Beach (Treasure Island). I am sure glad I cancelled the trip today. Even happier that I bought cancellation insurance. Already filed a claim.

richorlin

[DrawingMyLife.com]

[www.dudeism.com]
Posted by: earache
Date: September 05, 2017 05:52PM
So my mom is flying into Orlando this Friday for a week long vacation. Starting to think it's not a good idea. I'm guessing she'll be facing a delayed or cancelled flight. Who knows what things will look like if she actually gets there. Disney World is on the docket... not sure what they do in situations like this. Should she cancel the trip?

earache
Date: September 05, 2017 06:16PM
Yes, she should cancel it. While the Orlando area may be spared the worst of the effects, it will be no fun to be there while it goes through (and that's the best case scenario).

We will probably be cancelling our plans for Gulf Shores later next week.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: September 05, 2017 06:44PM
Speaking of Florida vacations, my Miami vacation starts 9/16. I'm keeping a close eye on the weather reports. I bought travel insurance when I booked the trip - haven't canceled yet.
Date: September 05, 2017 06:45PM
Wow....gusts of 225 mph.
Posted by: decay
Date: September 05, 2017 06:58PM
How long does filtered/purified water keep in a closed plastic container?

For example, those 5-gallon clear ones that sit on a water cooler in many offices?

I have a few of them I might fill for emergencies.

---
Posted by: stephen
Date: September 05, 2017 07:08PM
Very, very worried about my favorite island of Vieques.

Also worried about what to do about my mom in Southeast GA. She wants to stay put, and truth be told, it's hard to know where to go. But I would like her to at least weather the storm with friends IF it heads north through Florida towards her. Thought about taking her to Chicago with us this weekend for the GA / Notre Dame game, but I'm certain she would say no.
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 05, 2017 07:22PM
we just booked a vacation in Dominican Republic in about 2 months from now. I wonder if the hotel is damaged and they cannot receive guests, do they issue refunds? wife did all the arrangements so I don't know if she bought insurance. I know she bought from the resort's web site directly, and she wanted to be in the same hotel with some of our friends.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 05, 2017 07:23PM
School districts in South Florida, University of Miami, state colleges have all cancelled classes starting tomorrow or Thursday.

American Airlines is allowing rebooking all flights originating /departing/connecting in Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, West Palm, and Lee County (I just finished changing my Mother-in-laws flight). I'm sure other airlines are doing so as well. The Orlando and Tampa airports are still watching.

The cruise lines are starting to reposition ships and cancel cruises.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Date: September 05, 2017 07:29PM
earache
So my mom is flying into Orlando this Friday for a week long vacation. Starting to think it's not a good idea. I'm guessing she'll be facing a delayed or cancelled flight. Who knows what things will look like if she actually gets there. Disney World is on the docket... not sure what they do in situations like this. Should she cancel the trip?

If this Irma tracks the way it looks today and is still a category 5 when it is centered over Key West on Sunday, I wouldn't want to be in Orlando. I wouldn't want to be trying to leave Orlando on Saturday or Sunday.

[soundcloud.com]
Date: September 05, 2017 09:11PM
916 mb now. 27.05 inches. Could strengthen more. It is moving faster than normal. 15 mph.

The barometric pressure measured in Wilma, 882 mbar (26.05 inHg), is currently the lowest recorded pressure for a tropical cyclone in the Atlantic Basin, as well as the second-lowest pressure for any cyclone measured in the Western Hemisphere, only after Hurricane Patricia ten years later in the Eastern Pacific.

Still a ways to go to match Wilma, but...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2017 09:17PM by DP.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 05, 2017 11:39PM
Latest forecast is that Irma will 'weaken' to a Cat 4 before it gets close to Florida. And Jose will be a fish hurricane.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 06, 2017 07:42PM
My trip to Orlando is cancelled. Very glad!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 239
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018