advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Today I saw a rattlesnake. Sunday I saw a bobcat.
Posted by: rgG
Date: September 05, 2017 02:30PM
My daughter and I are on a short vaca in Arizona. Only 102° right now, lol
Well, on my early morning nature walk this morning, I saw a small diamondback rattlesnake on the path. I waited for him to cross then proceeded on my way.
On Sunday, we were sitting outside on our patio and my daughter says, "Oh $hit, there's a bobcat." And, sure enough, in the wash just below us was a beautiful bobcat. He stopped and looked right at us, before proceeding along.
Thursday night I saw a couple of Pecary (Javalina), also in the wash. I heard them grunting before I actually saw them. I had no idea what was making the noise, till they came into view.
We have seen tons of quail and bunnies a trantula or two, my daughter hates spiders and was really freaked out by them, as these desert ones are "eight legged freak" size. Saw one squished scorpion, in the cart path. Lots of different birds and several kinds of lizards. Saw a roadrunner eat a lizard, also while I was sitting on the patio.
All in all a lot of flora and fauna to be seen and some to be avoided. smiling smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Today I saw a rattlesnake. Sunday I saw a bobcat.
Posted by: pdq
Date: September 05, 2017 02:35PM
I prefer our bunnies, squirrels, deer, turkeys, geese, non-poisonous snakes, and bumblebees myself.

But maybe we could send our mosquitoes that way...
Date: September 05, 2017 02:37PM
pdq
I prefer our bunnies, squirrels, deer, turkeys, geese, non-poisonous snakes, and bumblebees myself.

But maybe we could send our mosquitoes that way...

They have the cutest little mini squirrels here. I thought they were chipmunks but they are squirrels. They are called desert chipmunks though.

This was my first, and hopefully last, rattlesnake I had seen actually in the wild, well it was crossing a paved path, so in the outdoors but not really wild, lol.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 05, 2017 02:41PM
.....lions, and tigers....and bears.....oh, my.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Pam
Date: September 05, 2017 02:42PM
Cool! Fun vacation sights!
Posted by: DP
Date: September 05, 2017 02:49PM
A whole different world out there...

Posted by: Steve G.
Date: September 05, 2017 02:57PM
At least it's not Australia. In OZ everything can kill you.
Posted by: DP
Date: September 05, 2017 02:58PM
Wait-don't you have rattlers and bobcats in GA?

Date: September 05, 2017 03:09PM
DP
Wait-don't you have rattlers and bobcats in GA?

We have a few rattlesnakes in GA, but I have been lucky enough never to encounter one. We see more copperheads and water mocassins than rattlesnakes. The pygmie rattler is more common in north GA, where we live, and they are pretty small and hard to spot.
I guess we have a few bobcats or something similar maybe in the north Georgia mountains, but I have never seen one and probably never will, as I don't go that far out in the wilderness and not at the times they would be active, so this was a real treat for me, just to have one walk by.

Posted by: billb
Date: September 05, 2017 03:15PM
all manner of scary things in Arizona

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: September 05, 2017 03:18PM
What PART of Arizona?

And yeah, there's oodles of critters, both friendly, and not so friendly, down there.

Little warm in most parts this time of year, but it's much nicer in the mountains (Flagstaff, and the Prescott area...).

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: freeradical
Date: September 05, 2017 03:24PM
Seeing a Bobcat is kind of rare.

Here in Sacramento, we have mountain lions. There are even warning signs on the bike path along the American River as you get around Nimbus Dam and beyond.

I've never seen one, although...

Mountain lions, perhaps California’s most efficient and stealthy four-legged predators, have long been rumored to move quietly through Sacramento’s open spaces. Sightings pop up regularly, particularly along the American River Parkway, but are often unreliable.

Now there can be no doubt.

On Saturday, a young male mountain lion was tranquilized and captured in a residential backyard in the capital city’s Oak Park neighborhood, one of the least likely places one would expect to encounter a cougar. Oak Park is busy, densely developed and gridded by major freeways and boulevards.

Yet there it was: a 70-pound superpredator resting in the landscaped backyard at 32nd and X streets. Walk two blocks east and stroll through the front door at Sacramento Charter High School. Or go two blocks south to the Bonfare Market on Broadway to fill up your gas tank and buy a frozen burrito.

“The urban blights of drug dealing and prostitution are kind of a daily thing around here. Or at least within a few blocks, you can see it all going on,” said David Sketchley, who lives next door to the home where the mountain lion was captured. “But this is a first.”

[www.sacbee.com]
Posted by: hal
Date: September 05, 2017 03:33PM
I've never seen a wild cat in the wild and I'm trying!

Pretty sure that a bobcat sighting is rare in AZ too.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 05, 2017 04:24PM
[www.youtube.com]

It is what it is.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 05, 2017 04:25PM
Steve G.
At least it's not Australia. In OZ everything can wants to kill you.

FTFY.

It is what it is.
Posted by: hal
Date: September 05, 2017 04:40PM
Here is an awesome video of a mountain lion (a BIG one) getting help from a game warden plus a completely unknowledgeable person getting free from a trap.

It's scary as @#$%&! Glad one of those guys knows what he's doing...

[www.youtube.com]

it was posted here before, but we're all so old, I'm sure it's forgotten by now...
Date: September 05, 2017 04:42PM
Paul F.
What PART of Arizona?

And yeah, there's oodles of critters, both friendly, and not so friendly, down there.

Little warm in most parts this time of year, but it's much nicer in the mountains (Flagstaff, and the Prescott area...).

We are just north of Phoenix in the Carefree/Cave Creek area. We drove up to Sedona the other day. Kind of a long drive, but the scenery was very nice.

It is hot as hell here, but at least not humid like in Atlanta. Been spending a lot of the middle of the day by/in the pool.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 05, 2017 04:43PM
rgG
Paul F.
What PART of Arizona?

We are just north of Phoenix in the Carefree/Cave Creek area. We drove up to Sedona the other day. Kind of a long drive, but the scenery was very nice.

It is hot as hell here, but at least not humid like in Atlanta. Been spending a lot of the middle of the day by/in the pool.

Pics!

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: September 05, 2017 04:44PM
Why they built a city at the bottom of a blast furnace, I'll never understand... grinning smiley

If you end up headed north again, visit Jerome... nice little (former) mining town. Lots of artsy stores, museums, etc.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: September 05, 2017 04:47PM
hal

I was pretty shocked. If my daughter hadn't been out there with me, I probably would have missed it. It was really special and something I really never thought I would see. So cool when he stopped and turned and looked right at us. We were at a safe distance away, right near the door to our casita, too, FYI.
Apparently they are pretty common around here. The tour lady at Taliesin West, the Frank Lloyd Wright house/studio, told us that she sometimes sees a mother bobcat and two cubs while walking around the grounds. They also mention in the literature here that you might see one around dusk, which is when we saw this one.
It really did make my day.

Date: September 05, 2017 04:51PM
Speedy
rgG
Paul F.
What PART of Arizona?

Pics!

Lol. I didn't get a pic of the bobcat and the pic I got of the rattlesnake is unimpressive. Not a chance of getting a pool pic of me or my daughter. tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: Rick-o
Date: September 05, 2017 04:52PM
Cool! I love seeing wildlife out and about. We have a pretty wild back yard and all kinds of critters hang out there. We had a bobcat mama with two cubs a few years ago. Mom was trying to teach the cubs to hunt the many black squirrels we have, but the cubs seemed to only want to play.

We currently have a big red fox hanging around, and when he can't catch anything to eat, he munches down on sunflower seeds that are scattered about.

Oh, and I saw rare bird this afternoon that we don't see a lot of. I was travelling down a road out of town and noticed a large bird flying up from the ground when the car ahead of me went by. It was a bald eagle feasting on some road kill. Just as I got up to the road kill, the eagle had circled around and flew over the trees. I saw him land and continue with his meal when I looked in the rear view mirror.

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: September 05, 2017 05:44PM
rgG
hal

I was pretty shocked. If my daughter hadn't been out there with me, I probably would have missed it. It was really special and something I really never thought I would see. So cool when he stopped and turned and looked right at us. We were at a safe distance away, right near the door to our casita, too, FYI.
Apparently they are pretty common around here. The tour lady at Taliesin West, the Frank Lloyd Wright house/studio, told us that she sometimes sees a mother bobcat and two cubs while walking around the grounds. They also mention in the literature here that you might see one around dusk, which is when we saw this one.
It really did make my day.

Depending where you are here in AZ, seeing bobcats is not at all uncommon. Lots of them appear in the yards and on the fences of people whose houses are in newer neighborhoods on the outskirts of PHX and Tucson that are crowding into bobcat territory. Same goes for javelina; you also get a lot more snakes in the edge cities. Facebook groups and local news have photos of bobcats all the time. I wish those houses weren't there....

Here in central Tucson, seeing bobcats is not unheard of, but I haven't seen any. Nor have I seen any rattlesnakes. But I have seen javelina and coyotes

Posted by: billb
Date: September 05, 2017 05:51PM
when I was there a wild burro went flying through the back yard
how it got there we never figured out but the neighbor's wrought iron gate was all twisted and bent
poor thing must have been scared as heck

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: freeradical
Date: September 05, 2017 05:57PM
hal
Here is an awesome video of a mountain lion (a BIG one) getting help from a game warden plus a completely unknowledgeable person getting free from a trap.

It's scary as @#$%&! Glad one of those guys knows what he's doing...

[www.youtube.com]

it was posted here before, but we're all so old, I'm sure it's forgotten by now...

If there ever was a time for a tranquilizer gun...
Date: September 05, 2017 07:40PM
The two pecary (Javalina) just came by again.
We are leaving tomorrow so this is my last night to see exotic, to me, critters in the wild.
Wish the bobcat would make an appearance but I think it is doubtful.

Posted by: max
Date: September 05, 2017 09:06PM
Any chupacabras?....
Date: September 05, 2017 09:42PM
max
Any chupacabras?....

Lol. Man I hope not.

Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 05, 2017 11:31PM
Good thing the javelina distracted you from seeing me!
Date: September 06, 2017 12:41AM
Racer X
Good thing the javelina distracted you from seeing me!

Lol. You better be careful of those cacti, down in that wash.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 06, 2017 07:15AM
....at least no cougars......they can be vicious when they spot a nice juicy.....young male in his prime......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 209
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015