The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $151.89 ( -1.50 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Work has officially locked out all macs
Posted by: Kiva
Date: September 05, 2017 04:58PM
Greetings Folks...been a while

Kids and life culled my activity here, but hoping I can get some guidance from some of you IT folks here.

Long-time battle with work which is a bunch of PC Nazis. Had a mac-friendly IT director for a while, but he left. I've always brought my MBP to work and been fine as long as I don't ask for any support. However, they've changed things...

The new team has implemented some new protocols for access to the network. They have 3 different wireless networks being broadcast: guest, the regular network, and "BYOD" (bring your own device). The BYOD is primary for phones, but that's where they want me to connect. I am unable to connect to the regular network.

Most usage is totally fine but this has made it impossible for me to print to any printers in the district - a total PITA. I assume the answer is 'no', but if I know the IP address of the printer, there is no way to get to it unless i'm on that network, correct?

Just had to check. I'm going to ask my boss to get me a printer for my office so I can exist here, but everywhere else I can just email files to co-workers to print. What a bummer.

Hope you all are well.

----------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2017 04:58PM by Kiva.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Work has officially locked out all macs
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: September 05, 2017 05:16PM
If the IP of the printer is behind the same firewall as you are, then you will still be able to print. For instance, here we have a wireless network and while no printers are not connected to that wireless network, they are all connected to wall ports which are behind the same firewall as the wireless network and thus anyone can print wirelessly.
Date: September 05, 2017 05:19PM
so far, my attempts to utilize IP printing (as I did before) have been unsuccessful.

They probably have 3 different firewalls now (?)

----------------------
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: September 05, 2017 05:23PM
Eh, crud. Can you make it behind the relevant firewall with VPN access? Also a trick we use here for access to certain systems.
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 05, 2017 05:31PM
What a "a bunch of PC Nazis" they are indeed.
Posted by: pdq
Date: September 05, 2017 05:33PM
Printers are pretty cheap these days. I'd buy my own, and if IT gives you crap about it, say you were forced to by their policy.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: September 05, 2017 05:41PM
I think Kiva would need the blessing from IT to get a User ID and password for VPN access, which bypasses the reason why they were put on the BYOD network in the first place.

It might be possible to get a local printer that uses the same consumables as the network printers. That way buying it would only involve a one time cost.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 05, 2017 05:44PM
Filliam H. Muffman

It might be possible to get a local printer that uses the same consumables as the network printers. That way buying it would only involve a one time cost.

good idea, but it would not surprise me if those PC Nazis go one step further and accuse Kiva of stealing their consumables to use in his "private" printer.
Posted by: Janit
Date: September 05, 2017 05:46PM
How far away from your office are the network printers? Do they have usb ports?
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: September 05, 2017 06:20PM
Get an Ethernet adapter and jack in at your desk, same as the PC users do.

Posted by: pokari
Date: September 05, 2017 06:41PM
Depending on the subnets used, and how the IT guys have it setup, you might be able to change your subnet mask on your computer and print.
Posted by: decay
Date: September 05, 2017 06:48PM
I find that ironic, given that a giant pharma company recently had a malware infection that took down ALL of their PCs; the Mac users were the only ones able to work for a while.

---
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 05, 2017 07:12PM
In my school, BYOD will not get you to a printer via wireless. However by connecting via ethernet, i can access printers using the IP address. (same holds for mail - no go on wireless, works fine via ethernet)

So you may want to try plugging in.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: gabester
Date: September 05, 2017 09:10PM
Just wait til the PC Nazis lock down those printers so they no longer accept incoming jobs to their IP address but instead will only accept jobs sent from a print server.

Kiva, you're fighting a losing battle, my friend. And Apple is not helping you - for every organization that is fine with their agile-development emulation OS upgrade cycle and MDM-centric management, this is another org that needs to be able to control what the Macs are trying to do on the network, for example calling up to Apple every time they run an OS upgrade to ensure the Mac is getting the latest, greatest firmware update. It sounds good from Apple's security-minded perspective, but it plays hell with bandwidth and connectivity and corporate networks' security requirements, many of which are enforced by federal regulatory regimes.
g=
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 05, 2017 09:13PM
why the @#$%& can't you connect to the regular network? I bet you a dollar that thats where the printers are.

Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 05, 2017 09:13PM
install windows on you laptop, get access, then figure out how to transfer it to the mac side.

Posted by: mrlynn
Date: September 05, 2017 10:30PM
mattkime
install windows on you laptop, get access, then figure out how to transfer it to the mac side.

Yeah, if you run Windoze in Parallels (or some other emulator) you should be able to log into the higher-level wireless network and see the printers. Parallels lets you drag files between the two OSes, copying them, so you can drag your Mac file over, print, and then delete it.

But if the others are right, that you can bypass the wireless restrictions by just plugging into an Ethernet port, then that is even easier.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Date: September 05, 2017 11:24PM
Hey Guys

I will get an ethernet adapter and see if that gets me to the printers. I do think my site boss will buy me a printer. The funny thing is that the printer in our office - shared by 3 people on the regular network - is an ancient HP 4500n or whatever. It broke and I took it apart a bitand fixed it. Damn. I should have let it die. I think i can convince the boss to maybe buy a cheap brother all in one or something. They would have no problem providing the consumables.

How would one manipulate the subnets? that would be fun.

Parallels may be a good option for when I'm out and about without an ethernet connection and need to print. That or go back to circa 2005 and pack a big ethernet cable with me everywhere I go. Fun.

Thanks again for all your input!

----------------------
Posted by: gabester
Date: September 06, 2017 07:07AM
Kiva
Parallels may be a good option for when I'm out and about without an ethernet connection and need to print. That or go back to circa 2005 and pack a big ethernet cable with me everywhere I go. Fun.

As another alternative, do you have a coworker who could install something like Google Cloud Print and share the office printer through that?

Or share the wired connection from a PC to a local wireless network.

WARNING: all these suggestions are likely in contravention of your local IT policies and may result in disciplinary action.
g=
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 06, 2017 08:45AM
As you long ago learned, the purpose of your job is to always do as IT says. They do not exist to support you, but rather you exist to support them.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: September 06, 2017 09:38AM
Speedy
As you long ago learned, the purpose of your job is to always do as IT says. They do not exist to support you, but rather you exist to support them.

agree smiley Knuckleheads

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: numbered
Date: September 06, 2017 10:10AM
Posted by: Sam3
Date: September 06, 2017 10:59AM
Our new owners have deemed HP to be THE ONLY PC to be purchased, with strict specifications as to what employees will get based on their department. No more Mac purchases, so when our current ones die, then too bad, get an HP. Same with iPads, tablet requests (we can't even buy them ourselves anymore) will be HP tablets. Which will be an interesting issue, as our sales department relies on specific sales software that is iPad only.
Date: September 06, 2017 12:43PM
gabester
Kiva

As another alternative, do you have a coworker who could install something like Google Cloud Print and share the office printer through that?

Or share the wired connection from a PC to a local wireless network.

WARNING: all these suggestions are likely in contravention of your local IT policies and may result in disciplinary action.
g=

this sounds interesting. There are limited privileges for the average user on district machines, so may not have the ability to do so. I'l have to look into google cloud print, as i'm not familiar.

Thanks again everybody for the input and also hilarious messages.

----------------------
Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 06, 2017 03:16PM
The industry shift from the name Information Services to Information Technologies was a dead giveaway.

Instead of providing service, they hoard and guard technology.
Posted by: Silencio
Date: September 06, 2017 10:07PM
It'll be interesting to see what you get by connecting to ethernet. If your network administrator is remotely competent, the ethernet ports will have a VLAN assigned to it, tied to its own subnet. If they want to keep that subnet isolated, they won't make it routable to the other subnet(s). Likewise the wireless LANs are on their own VLANs, and it doesn't appear there is routing enabled between them.

But yeah, I'm in the same boat as Kiva otherwise: busy with life and kid, and managing subnets on my own work network — but not in such a petty, vindictive sort of way.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 06, 2017 10:22PM
Why are IT depts so petty and controlling?

When I became a contractor and IT interfered with me doing my job in a timely manner, I started billing to their overhead for all wasted time. My "boss" approved my invoices. After a few months they caught on, and realized that in my contract it was a gray area, and the higher ups told IT to just figure out solutions as needed. They didn't want to hear about it again.
Date: September 06, 2017 11:31PM
Racer X
Why are IT depts so petty and controlling?

When I became a contractor and IT interfered with me doing my job in a timely manner, I started billing to their overhead for all wasted time. My "boss" approved my invoices. After a few months they caught on, and realized that in my contract it was a gray area, and the higher ups told IT to just figure out solutions as needed. They didn't want to hear about it again.

I have had the conversation with multiple people in management around the general idea "why can't those that work more efficiently and effectively with a certain tool be allowed to use that tool?" I also told them what they're effectively paying me per hr, my role in preventing legal trouble for them, etc. Doesn't matter. IT has management snowed that the only way to be secure is to use only one platform.

LAME.

----------------------
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 07, 2017 08:53AM
The head of information security uses a Mac (they all do because Macs are more secure...) He learned recently that HIS machine was locked out of standard backups by IT.

When IT targets the head of IS, you know they are feeling the Power.
Date: September 11, 2017 12:09PM
so, my boss says no problem getting another printer. However, he noted that whatever we get has to be something IT has nothing to do with since it isn't coming from them (e.g. they'll get pissed).

So, I was thinking an all-in-one brother with wireless and ethernet capability? It could still go on the network and my office mates can print to it and I can print wirelessly? Or should we just all print to it wirelessly and keep it off the network entirely?

Something like this:

[www.officedepot.com]

if we need ethernet:

[www.officedepot.com]

thoughts?

----------------------
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 336
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015