advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $151.89 ( -1.50 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
15-year-old niece singing in contests. What songs to add to her repertoire of "At Last" and "My Funny Valentine?"
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: September 06, 2017 10:02AM
She is getting better all the time and has an affinity for older stuff. She used to watch the Hope/Crosby road movies and loves Frank Sinatra. I'm pleased that so far she is not doing the typical histrionics and is sticking to a purer style like Mary Ford's. I'm making a list of songs and singers for her to listen to, although I'm not crazy about her aping someone's licks, like Ella Fitzgerald's, but she could do worse than Ella.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 15-year-old niece singing in contests. What songs to add to her repertoire of "At Last" and "My Funny Valentine?"
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 06, 2017 10:05AM
.....watch 'The Fabulous Baker Boys'.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2017 10:07AM by NewtonMP2100.
Re: 15-year-old niece singing in contests. What songs to add to her repertoire of "At Last" and "My Funny Valentine?"
Posted by: finn
Date: September 06, 2017 10:16AM
"Someone to Watch Over Me".......
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: September 06, 2017 10:46AM
It's a bit more contemporary, but I think you can't beat "The Rose":

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: September 06, 2017 11:17AM
finn
"Someone to Watch Over Me".......

One of my all time favorite songs.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 06, 2017 03:06PM
My Guy (or My Girl).

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 06, 2017 11:06PM
Just not "Afternoon Delight" as a duet with her dad.
Posted by: mspace
Date: September 07, 2017 09:55AM
There should be many recordings of the standards, which is what you are describing. The category is known as "The American Songbook". Look through titles from the 20s-early 50s. Good for her that she has the ears to hear the value in those tunes.

I tell all my clients to put the song title in youtube and watch as many versions as they can, both vocal and instrumental, not just the singer they like.

And to watch the not so good ones, too. There is much to be learned from catching why something doesn't work besides being swept up with the polished versions.
Date: September 07, 2017 10:39AM
......'A Fine Romance'......

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 07, 2017 02:28PM
mspace
There should be many recordings of the standards, which is what you are describing. The category is known as "The American Songbook". Look through titles from the 20s-early 50s. Good for her that she has the ears to hear the value in those tunes.

I tell all my clients to put the song title in youtube and watch as many versions as they can, both vocal and instrumental, not just the singer they like.

And to watch the not so good ones, too. There is much to be learned from catching why something doesn't work besides being swept up with the polished versions.

This.

It is what it is.
Date: September 08, 2017 11:51AM
....what about....'Take this Job and Shove It'.....??

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 257
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015