advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Are old/used 20lb propane tanks worth anything?
Posted by: clay
Date: September 06, 2017 10:03AM
Have a couple from an old tenant. Been sitting out in the elements for a few years, so they do have a bit of rust, but as far as I can tell, they aren't so damaged as to not be usable. I do have a gas grill, but I use it so rarely, that I might go through a tank in about 2 years. I like the idea of keeping one of the tanks as a backup (and get it refilled), but also don't have a ton of storage space.

Was thinking about putting the old tanks up on craigslist. Are they worth anything, or should I just put them out by the curb with a "free" sign? If I could even get $5 or $10 a pop for them, it might be worth the craigslist route.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Are old/used 20lb propane tanks worth anything?
Posted by: Robert M
Date: September 06, 2017 10:12AM
Clay,

Propane tanks have a limited lifespan, even if they look in usable condition. They must also be disposed of properly. Bring them to a local refill station and have them inspected and/or disposed of.

Robert
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 06, 2017 10:14AM
I just take them to the swap place, get a new tank with propane in it for $15 or so, and am done. The swap people can deal with it. It is nice having a spare tank or two.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: September 06, 2017 10:15AM
If they have the "old" valve threads (internal), some places used to trade them in for "new style" tanks at a discount...
But that's getting to be a while ago now, I don't know if that's still a thing or not.
Might at least get you a couple new tanks a little cheaper.

Otherwise, yeah, Robert M is right - if they are out of inspection dates, then they're worthless.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: 3d
Date: September 06, 2017 10:15AM
Are the tanks expired? What's the manufacture date? Date can be found on the collar/handle near the top.
If putting these on craigslist, buyers will ask so might as well check now.

$5-10 is a good price. You won't have trouble selling them if they are not expired.
Posted by: OWC Jamie
Date: September 06, 2017 10:17AM
Cylinders expire 12 years from the date stamped on the collar. What do they read? smiling smiley You can get them re-certified for an additional 5 years but it may not be worth it depending on what they charge to do it.

One note - go to your local place that actually fills your tank in front of you and make sure they are filling 100%. Places like Blue Rhino and Costco don't fill to 100%; they sell below max weight for the cylinder frequently. 20# cylinder holds 4.7 gallons of propane.

(Grandparents owned a hardware store.... been there filled that. smiling smiley )

Good Luck!
Jamie Dresser
Other World Computing
Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 06, 2017 11:22AM
if you fill them with acetylene gas, and shoot them with a 7.62 tracer round from about 400 yards, they are a lot of fun.

THEN you can recycle them. Around here, you can't recycle gas bottles unless they are cut open to prove they don't contain gas that may explode during the recycling process (like cutting or squashing then melting)

But seriously, if they are at least somewhat presentable, most big box stores/grocery stores that deal with exchanges will take them in as exchange. Their staff usually don't check dates, and some don't even know they exist. So someone on CL could use an expired one for exchange for a "full" one.

Some of the bulk refillers recertify them when they come in after a repaint/refurbish, so I don't feel bad about it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2017 11:34AM by Racer X.
Posted by: testcase
Date: September 06, 2017 11:24AM
Unlike gasoline, propane has a shelf life of decades. If kept clean & dry, the tanks will be safe long after the dates stamped there on. That said, brand new 20# propane tanks WITH an integral meter can be purchased for $30. I certainly would not spend $10 or $15 on a used tank that has no meter.
Posted by: billb
Date: September 06, 2017 11:32AM
so put the extras on craigslist for a week or two and if no bites do a curbalert
if someone doesn't want 'em for a portable air tank maybe scrappers will take them.

a quick look on craigslist here has them anywhere from $7 to $20

they should be worth almost whatever the swap places give you fora swap rather than buying outright ( to someone that doesn't have a tank to swap )

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 06, 2017 11:42AM
Yes, good swap fodder. One of my bottles came still fully filled from CL for $20. SCORE!!!!!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2017 11:43AM by Racer X.
Posted by: MarkD
Date: September 06, 2017 12:23PM
I had a tank a local propane dealer refused to refill because it needed to be recertified. Not economically feasible to recertify. Walmart had 'em for about $26. Went to home depot because Amerigas said on the Home Depot web site "We take any tank, no matter the condition". Amerigas also says that they only fill tanks 80% full. One of the better and the most interesting articles (including reader comments) I found about the refill or swap issue was [www.orangecoat.com]

I had to dispose of one too--had to drop off at a government recycle. The metal would not take the tank unless a hole was cut into the tank. The government recycles (County) took it without the hole cut.

You might try Craigslist or even find a friend that wants the tank to swap.
Posted by: DP
Date: September 06, 2017 02:43PM
if you fill them with acetylene gas, and shoot them with a 7.62 tracer round from about 400 yards, they are a lot of fun.

Just some Lake City M852's in a Springfield Super Match M1A should do the trick...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 06, 2017 03:01PM
.....like old/used people....not worth anything [ in the eyes of society ].....they just fade away.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2017 03:35PM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 06, 2017 03:14PM
At my local Menards a refill is $18 but if you also need to buy the tank the total is $48.

A little spray paint will increase their value.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 213
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018