Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $170.13 ( -0.05 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Seeking suggestions for a new lantern
Posted by: mikebw
Date: September 06, 2017 04:00PM
On the subject of emergency preparedness, I think it's time to replace my old fluorescent battery powered camping lantern. Seems like LED is the only way to go now.

Any specific suggestions?

EDIT: I have several LED headlamps so this lantern would be for broad area coverage, indoors or out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2017 04:04PM by mikebw.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Seeking suggestions for a new lantern
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 06, 2017 04:06PM
Costco has a nice one for around $20. It takes eight D cells, has multiple brighness levels, and is VERY bright at the highest level.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: September 06, 2017 04:08PM
I would look for something that is rechargeable and can charge other USB items.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: September 06, 2017 04:15PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Costco has a nice one for around $20. It takes eight D cells, has multiple brighness levels, and is VERY bright at the highest level.

After dealing with that volume of batteries for many years I am hoping to get something of equivalent brightness with much less power. A lantern with a built in rechargeable battery seems like a good idea, but not when you cannot recharge it. Anything with an option for using either?
Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 06, 2017 04:18PM
I have that big Costco LED lantern. Yes, very bright. I'd look into a smaller one if you really want it to be portable.

I like mine though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2017 04:18PM by Racer X.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 06, 2017 04:24PM
....if green........Hal Jordan......they gave him a redemption arc after he went crazy and killed everyone........Kyle Rayner 2nd choice......

.....there are also Black Lanterns......and White Lanterns [ Kyle Rayner mastered becoming a White Lantern ]......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2017 04:30PM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: hal
Date: September 06, 2017 04:25PM
Emergency light?

The best thing EVER: The Luci Light [mpowerd.com]

Solar powered - charge during the day, stay on all night

It's also collapsible and super light weight - you can carry it anywhere
Posted by: GGD
Date: September 06, 2017 04:26PM
When I got back to CA after being in NY for hurricane Sandy, I saw these Coleman lanterns in Costco and bought a couple.

[www.coleman.com]

They work off of 8 D cells that seem to last forever. They have four removable panels that have rechargeable batteries (charged off of the D cells in the base), and can function as four independent lights.

I haven't seen them in Costco in a couple of years, but Amazon has them.

[www.amazon.com]

The design is getting to be pretty old now, and it would be nice if they updated it with a USB jack for charging phones.

Also, after five years, the rechargeable AAA cells in the panels are no longer holding a charge very long (they can be replaced), but they still run directly off of the base unit.
Date: September 06, 2017 04:37PM
This is the one we got at Costco. There it was $20 [www.amazon.com]
Posted by: Pam
Date: September 06, 2017 05:02PM
I really like this one for the different temps and dimmable. Under $15. [smile.amazon.com]
Posted by: flareslow
Date: September 06, 2017 05:19PM
This one uses the batteries from my cordless drill and puts out plenty of light. The battery lasts a long time also.

Makita LED

For charging USB items from the same batteries you can use this:

USB charger.
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: September 06, 2017 06:53PM
hal
Emergency light?

The best thing EVER: The Luci Light [mpowerd.com]

Solar powered - charge during the day, stay on all night

It's also collapsible and super light weight - you can carry it anywhere

Got some of these, they are great...
Posted by: Forrest
Date: September 06, 2017 07:00PM
Rayovac SE3DLNACOM Sportsman 240 Lumen 3D LED Lantern at Amazon for $17.44. Runs on 3 D batteries for 70 hours on high or 140 hours on energy saver. Lifetime warranty.

Rayovac also sells the Sportsman 150 Lumen 3AA LED Mini Lantern at Amazon for $14.46. Runs for 16 hours on high or 35 hours on energy saver. Lifetime warranty.

I bought both last year, and think the D battery version is a better choice because of the much longer run time. Both have 4.5 star ratings at Amazon
Posted by: billb
Date: September 06, 2017 07:55PM
flareslow
This one uses the batteries from my cordless drill and puts out plenty of light. The battery lasts a long time also.

Makita LED

For charging USB items from the same batteries you can use this:

USB charger.

I have an earlier version that doesn't fold in half. Kinda sucks down battery in high.
The drill doesn't always know a battery is connected. Cleaning and playing with prong tension hasn't helped. I liked the drill. size, weight and balance

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: September 06, 2017 08:57PM
agree smiley with Hal about the Luci lights — they are awesome!
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: September 06, 2017 09:41PM
Forrest
Rayovac SE3DLNACOM Sportsman 240 Lumen 3D LED Lantern at Amazon for $17.44. Runs on 3 D batteries for 70 hours on high or 140 hours on energy saver. Lifetime warranty.

Rayovac also sells the Sportsman 150 Lumen 3AA LED Mini Lantern at Amazon for $14.46. Runs for 16 hours on high or 35 hours on energy saver. Lifetime warranty.

I bought both last year, and think the D battery version is a better choice because of the much longer run time. Both have 4.5 star ratings at Amazon

Ditto.

Get the one that runs on three D-cell batteries.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 06, 2017 10:57PM
Racer X
I have that big Costco LED lantern. Yes, very bright. I'd look into a smaller one if you really want it to be portable.

I like mine though.

Yes, it is big. I like it, too.

Not the one I was referring to earlier, but there's this one: [www.costco.com]

It is what it is.
Date: September 06, 2017 11:01PM
I'm not a fan of rechargeable devices with built-in batteries, unless the device uses ones you can replace when they go bad. Why won't they build one with 4 D rechargeables that get recharged when you plug the lantern in, then you can replace them when they go bad?
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: September 07, 2017 12:55AM
This one is a little cheaper than the Costco rechargeable, but I have never heard of the brand before. It has two 18650 batteries.

$36 - ATAK Model 403, 1,000 Lumen Ultra Bright COB LED Rechargeable Camping Lantern + USB Power Bank

In tha 360. MRF User Map

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2017 12:56AM by Filliam H. Muffman.
Posted by: testcase
Date: September 07, 2017 06:06AM
Like billb, I have a good LED light from Milwaukee that uses the same M18 batteries that all my Milwaukee tools use. Milwaukee recently released a 9AH M18 lithium battery that should have incredible run time. Home Depot (and other sellers) have ca good deal going on right now. Get a kit with TWO M18, 9AH lithium batteries AND a Rapid Charger that handles M18 AND M12 lithium batteries, all for an MSRP of $199!
Date: September 07, 2017 07:11AM
Is that price for 2 batteries and the multi-charger?
Posted by: rz
Date: September 07, 2017 08:43AM
Racer X
I'm not a fan of rechargeable devices with built-in batteries, unless the device uses ones you can replace when they go bad.

DItto. We had several "rechargeable" lights that we got back in 2004 when we were hit with several hurricanes. Took them out of storage last year when Hurricane Matthew was threatening us, and NONE of them would hold a charge. They were useless; we had to throw them all away. We now have several Coleman lights that take D cell batteries.
Date: September 07, 2017 09:35AM
rz
Racer X
I'm not a fan of rechargeable devices with built-in batteries, unless the device uses ones you can replace when they go bad.

DItto. We had several "rechargeable" lights that we got back in 2004 when we were hit with several hurricanes. Took them out of storage last year when Hurricane Matthew was threatening us, and NONE of them would hold a charge. They were useless; we had to throw them all away. We now have several Coleman lights that take D cell batteries.

This is a good point. I recently was able to replace the AAA rechargeable cells in the Energizer induction charging battery packs for my Wii remotes, as the originals would no longer charge. Not sure they were designed with that in mind, but I am sure glad it was possible to do.

EDIT: I think I would prefer to buy a lantern with similar capability, like one linked to with the 18650 rechargeable cells.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2017 09:37AM by mikebw.
Date: September 07, 2017 12:27PM
Yeah. 18650 batteries are pretty energy-dense if they are good quality. I have several flashlights that use them, and one that uses a 26650
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 07, 2017 12:35PM
....Justice League..........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: September 07, 2017 01:13PM
Racer X
Yeah. 18650 batteries are pretty energy-dense if they are good quality. I have several flashlights that use them, and one that uses a 26650

Which brand(s) would you recommend for the 18650? Suppose I would need a charger to.
Date: September 07, 2017 01:26PM
Nitecore charger, and protected batteries. [www.amazon.com]

for example
Posted by: testcase
Date: September 10, 2017 07:47PM
Racer X
Is that price for 2 batteries and the multi-charger?

YES!

MILWAUKEE-48-59-1890P

Acme Tools:[www.acmetools.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 151
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015