advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
PayPal telephone scam
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 06, 2017 05:44PM
I believe this is some type of Scam since I did not give PayPal the tel number from work, yet a robot called and asked me to enter a PayPal Phone Confirmation Pin Number. It recorded on my voicemail, and they called back a minute later. Just to make sure, I logged in into my PayPal account and they do not have this number on file.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: PayPal telephone scam
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 06, 2017 06:26PM
landline? Seems like all they are good for anymore is scams. =(

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: September 06, 2017 08:30PM
jdc
landline? Seems like all they are good for anymore is scams. =(

They call my cell, too.

They just dial every number on each exchange. No escaping.

Posted by: Janit
Date: September 07, 2017 07:25AM
This sounds like a scam mimic of the standard "request a call-back" protocol for users calling the support line during high-volume periods.

It's deceptive familiarity is the hook..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2017 07:26AM by Janit.
Posted by: rz
Date: September 07, 2017 08:45AM
I've been using PayPal for well over a decade and have never heard of a phone confirmation PIN. If I ever got a call like that, I'd ignore it.
Posted by: Janit
Date: September 07, 2017 11:06AM
rz
I've been using PayPal for well over a decade and have never heard of a phone confirmation PIN. If I ever got a call like that, I'd ignore it.

My experience with this is on eBay. If you poke around the website for the phone contact number, they will give you a PIN to enter when you call customer support. In this case it appears to be a security measure to make sure that you are calling about an account you are authorized to access. If the wait time is long, the recorded system will offer a call-back option so you don't have to wait on the phone. I have never used this option, so I don't know if they ask for the PIN when they call back. Probably not, as the PIN "expires" fairly quickly after it is assigned.

This scam looks like the typical mash-up of common procedures into an incoherent process that seems like it might be legit, but isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 198
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020