advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $170.13 ( -0.05 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Do you change your own oil? Rotate your own tires?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 06, 2017 09:35PM
Poll
Do you change your own oil? Do you rotate your own tires?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
70 votes were received.
I change my own oil and rotate my own tires. 20

29%
I change my own oil. 10

14%
I rotate my own tires. 2

3%
Neither! Let someone else do it! 38

54%
Never either! Auto industry scams! 0

0%

Do you change your own oil? Rotate your own tires?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Do you change your own oil? Rotate your own tires?
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 06, 2017 09:39PM
I used too, but keeping things clean and properly disposed of became a pain. Add in the $15 for oil and filter - I'll just give my mechanic $25 and be done with it.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: JoeH
Date: September 06, 2017 09:40PM
I used to do both. But one perq of getting paid better than I was 30 years ago is that I can afford to have someone else do it. They also have the lifts, large drain drums, etc that make it so much quicker.
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 06, 2017 09:45PM
JoeH
I used to do both. But one perq of getting paid better than I was 30 years ago is that I can afford to have someone else do it. They also have the lifts, large drain drums, etc that make it so much quicker.

Exactly.

Tire rotation is free most places and oil changes are next to nuthin with coupons, so no to both.

Changing your own oil means a having the right tools, including jack, jack stands, or ramps, plus the time it takes to buy oil and filter, plus disposal = PITA

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 06, 2017 09:48PM
With 7 cars total, I take care of our fleet. But the tires all have free rotations for life, and I have them check the brakes at the same time too.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 06, 2017 10:04PM
I guess I'm tempted to do it mostly because I can probably do it in less time than it would take me to go some place and get it done.

Date: September 06, 2017 10:06PM
That too. Especially if you do several in a row.
Posted by: Pat
Date: September 06, 2017 10:09PM
Only stuff I don't do myself is tie rods and turbo.
Posted by: blooz
Date: September 06, 2017 10:10PM
I stopped years ago, when I decided I was tired of rust falling into my eyes while fixing my exhaust. Also dropping my dwell meter on the driveway and breaking it (are dwell meters still in use?) helped me understand that i did not have a vocation in auto repair.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 06, 2017 10:11PM
I can do it myself and have the tools, but I avoid it. When I'm in for other service or annual inspection, I have the garage change the oil and rotate tires as long as the interval is reasonably close and even if it's early. If things are overdue and a garage visit is not otherwise necessary, I'll do it, manly because I hate wasting half a day waiting or being without a car all day for a 15-minute procedure (for the garage; for me, it's a hour per vehicle all told.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2017 10:17PM by Acer.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 06, 2017 10:49PM
blooz
I stopped years ago, when I decided I was tired of rust falling into my eyes while fixing my exhaust. Also dropping my dwell meter on the driveway and breaking it (are dwell meters still in use?) helped me understand that i did not have a vocation in auto repair.

Dwell meter? Oh, my...

It is what it is.
Date: September 06, 2017 10:50PM
What's the point? Get it? Points?
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: September 06, 2017 10:58PM
I used to change my own oil (and do front-end lubes) on our cars (usually two, though occasionally three), and changed to snowtires (which I kept on their own rims), and did other minor repairs (alternators, starter motors, the occasional fan relay, etc.). But a few years ago I found changing oil on my wife's Subaru was a bit of a pain, so let the garage do it. And then I decided that crawling around in the snow under my van in the winter, trying to hit all the lube points with a manual grease gun, was really not fun. So I let the garage do that one, too. It wounded my pride a little, but only a little.

Decades ago, when we had a long gravel driveway, I used to sprinkle the used oil out a plastic milk carton with holes punched in the bottom. Helped keep the dust down. Then the neighbors paved the driveway, so I ended up storing the dirty oil in old laundry-detergent cannisters. Our dump would take them, but I never got around to it, and then there were too many. Another good reason not to change my own oil.

Times change. Some cars, I'm told, don't even have oil drain plugs any more. My 2013 Ford Expedition doesn't have a transmission-oil dipstick, and doesn't have any grease zerks in the front end, either (my 1998 Chevy van had 14!). Then, I don't need to pull out the distributor from my '64 Rambler and install new points and condensor (it was easier to pull it out than to work bent over the fender). I was never much of a mechanic, but I enjoyed what little I did—now I'm just an anachronism. The kids don't know what I'm talking about.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Posted by: GGD
Date: September 06, 2017 11:16PM
mattkime
I guess I'm tempted to do it mostly because I can probably do it in less time than it would take me to go some place and get it done.

The place I've been going to for years is a family owned shop that does it in 9 minutes and you don't have to get out of your car. Think of it as something like a car wash, cars line up in the back, drive through and exit onto the street. I can stop there when I'm driving past running other errands, it's quicker than just going out to buy the supplies for an oil change.

This place also has a mechanic that I've developed a good relationship with, and use him for bigger jobs.

[www.yelp.com]

I buy tires at Costco and they do free rotate/balance on those while I'm shopping.

So, it is possible to minimize the time needed for basic car maintenance.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: September 06, 2017 11:35PM
I used to do almost all my own car maintenance until I started working as a mechanic. I still change the wiper blades myself.

Posted by: billb
Date: September 06, 2017 11:55PM
There's no app for that ?

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: graylocks
Date: September 07, 2017 12:08AM
Discount Tires just rotated my tires tuesday. for free. made an appointment and was out in 35 minutes. would have taken me hours to do it myself.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Carm
Date: September 07, 2017 12:10AM
Much easier to change it myself, cars require synthetic or synthetic blend, I prefer to use full synthetic and both cars take about 5.5 quarts of 5w-30. I don't trust the quick lube places and I don't like waiting. Auto parts stores take used motor oil for free. No big deal there, just dropping it off is a chore. I use an oil filter that I trust and I get to inspect the bottom front end for damaged boots/belts/etc. I do the rotations myself or take it to Americas Tire/Discount Tire . Bought the tire warranty and it's paid for itself already with one tire replaced and a few tire rotations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2017 12:12AM by Carm.
Date: September 07, 2017 12:17AM
Our local solid waste service/recycling will take 2 1 gallon jugs of waste petroleum every 2 weeks. Just put at the curb with your recycling bin.

I save up used filters in my garage, and drop off at the local Jiffy Lube every year or so.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: September 07, 2017 12:33AM
I let the dealership change the oil and swap out the summer/winter tires. I used to do my own oil, a long time ago, but it was so messy and such a hassle to dispose of that I stopped. My back has probably improved enough that I could rotate my own tires but I just have the dealership do it when they change the oil so it's no big deal.
Posted by: davester
Date: September 07, 2017 01:44AM
Rotate tires?...never. I occasionally change the oil if no other service is due, purely to save my time taking the car in. I use one of those suck through the dipstick gizmos...no muss, no fuss, no crawling under the car.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: testcase
Date: September 07, 2017 05:46AM
I too used to do it all myself. Now, in my sixties, I no longer want to crawl under vehicles. I have two excellent mechanics I trust. With an appointment, the whole thing takes less than 30 minutes. .old fogey smiley
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 07, 2017 06:14AM
....you mean after the mud wrestling matches.......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: tenders
Date: September 07, 2017 06:51AM
I do my own brakes, and many other repairs, but oil changes and tire rotations are not worth doing myself.

I learned last year that coolant replacement isn't worth doing myself either.

Setup and cleanup and disposal take too much time compared to outsourcing cost.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 07, 2017 07:02AM
I change my own oil because I do it right. I let the tire place rotate my tires when I need a tire or two. Then when I get home I retorque the lugs.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: September 07, 2017 08:20AM
With few exceptions I've always done my own maintenance. I have a love/hate relationship with that. I have enough experience to gauge my limits, which helps.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: September 07, 2017 08:29AM
mattkime,

I used to do everything, but am to feeble now (back and legs are worthless-they keep me upright and mostly mobile, but that is all). Doing all of that let me find problems yet to happen. I found loose tie rods, worn brake pads before they ruined rotors, etc. I had a checklist I went over at each oil change and rotation. I still have a large compressor that I use to drain my irrigation system each fall.

Mr. Curmudgeon, on Mav/EC/Sierra/blood thinner & some other "old people pills".
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: September 07, 2017 08:45AM
mattkime

This is part of why I do my own. Last time I took Camry in, I waited over two hours, and that's normal. Plus the drive to dealer. I just pick up oil/filter when I'm in a Walmart (!), I have ramps, and know it's done right with full synthetic Mobil 1.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2017 08:46AM by GuyGene.
Posted by: rz
Date: September 07, 2017 08:54AM
I've reached that station in life where I'd rather have someone else perform tasks like that. The only thing I still do myself is mowing the lawn. It's sort of a zen thing for me.
Posted by: TLB
Date: September 07, 2017 09:01AM
rz
I've reached that station in life where I'd rather have someone else perform tasks like that. The only thing I still do myself is mowing the lawn. It's sort of a zen thing for me.

I am an adherent to the rz school of thought. Used to do my own auto maintenance religiously, even in subfreezing weather, but no more.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: September 07, 2017 09:21AM
Poll seems to assume we all own automobiles.
Date: September 07, 2017 09:28AM
GuyGene
mattkime

This is part of why I do my own. Last time I took Camry in, I waited over two hours, and that's normal. Plus the drive to dealer. I just pick up oil/filter when I'm in a Walmart (!), I have ramps, and know it's done right with full synthetic Mobil 1.

When I had my truck I had cheap oil changes for life from Toyota. Yeah it could be a long wait, they had a pretty big service dept. They also had a courtesy van that would drive you home and pick you back up. Usually utilized for all day repairs ( overnites usuallly got a loaner car ) if the guy was waiting for the next passenger he could drop you off at the Mall for a while. Might not come pick you up as fast as a Uber ride but he'd come get ya.

The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: michael_s
Date: September 07, 2017 09:45AM
I change the oil on our our cars. Still not sure why. Maybe 'cause I'm cheap. I usually pick up a few cases oil when I see it on sale.
Posted by: Michael
Date: September 07, 2017 10:43AM
I'm faster than taking them in and I've found the oil over or under filled several times when I've taken them in, so I just do it myself.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: September 07, 2017 10:43AM
I have never paid for an oil change. Too easy to do myself, and as others have mentioned the auto shops you buy from will take the old oil in return.

Every time I work on our older car several neighbor kids come over to see what I am doing. Great learning experience for them I figure since most people don't work on their cars here, and a lot of kids don't understand how an engine works. I've done oil changes, coolant, tire rotation, brakes, wipers, bulbs, starter, O2 sensors; replaced some body panels and engine gaskets on my previous cars. Don't have time for major repairs anymore though.

Newer car still has free service at the dealer, but after that runs out I will at least try to change the oil myself. They have a nice waiting room now with WiFi so that is a plus.
Date: September 07, 2017 11:41AM
....many here love to.....'do it yourself'.....in the privacy of their own home.....

Date: September 07, 2017 12:17PM
Mr Downtown

Because, as children, we all were lied to that we would all have jetpacks and hovercraft as adults. Since we have neither, we must rely on automobiles.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: September 07, 2017 12:22PM
Keep local business in.. well, business. I don't do any of that.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 07, 2017 12:27PM
blooz

Need one ? I have a timing light / dwell meter I haven't used in... 30 years !
Date: September 07, 2017 12:28PM
Mr Downtown

Pick choice number 5
everyone gets a trophy on this poll

[soundcloud.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2017 12:30PM by billb.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: September 07, 2017 03:25PM
Racer X
With 7 cars total, I take care of our fleet. But the tires all have free rotations for life, and I have them check the brakes at the same time too.

True, plus they have impact air wrenches to really make sure those lug nuts are torqued up nice and snug… /sarc

Yeah, I don't trust service shops to do anything right, even oil changes and tire rotations.
Date: September 07, 2017 03:52PM
The place I use has torque limiting extensions on their impact guns. They also have pressure regulators for the wheel impact guns.

When he was alive, my brother managed a tire store, so I likely know as much as most tire store technicians. I politely watch them very carefully.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2017 03:54PM by Racer X.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: September 07, 2017 03:54PM
The shop I use is just a 15-minute walk away, so I can leave the car and walk back to pick it up when done, and I get a little exercise, too. Not so much with my year-long plantar fasciitis, not to mention last week's spider bite, but those are both resolving‚ I hope.

/Mr Lynn
Date: September 07, 2017 03:58PM
Being able to walk there is a great bonus.
Date: September 07, 2017 04:58PM
.....but can you walk.....like an Egyptian.....??

Posted by: wurm
Date: September 08, 2017 12:03PM
Both. Always.

I've read too many horror stories about loose (or stripped) drain plugs, over-torqued wheels, etc. It takes about 15 minutes for an oil change, and I know I'm putting in the right amount of the exact oil I want. It takes longer for tire rotation, but I count it as exercise. And I don't feel like waiting a few hours for a free tire rotation when the end result is usually "You should really get new tires/new brake pads/an alignment". Besides the only time I've heard of free tire rotation is if you bought tires from the place.
Date: September 08, 2017 12:24PM
.....the best is to rotate your own tires.....in the privacy of your own.........

Date: September 08, 2017 07:45PM
mrlynn
Not so much with my year-long plantar fasciitis,
/Mr Lynn

well that's lousy

I thought 4 months was rough.

[soundcloud.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 177
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015