Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $151.89 ( -1.50 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Getting the HC lower for California Smog Test on 98 Toyota Sienna
Posted by: Microman
Date: September 07, 2017 02:04PM
They keep lowering the standards each year, and this year, just fell below the number needed to pass with HC. The car hasn't been driven much, and we thought that a trip on freeway, and warm up would do the trick but I guess not. We are planning on putting in some Fuel Injection Cleaner, and some Premium gas, any other ideas to help lower the HC?

Thanks.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Getting the HC lower for California Smog Test on 98 Toyota Sienna
Posted by: Mr645
Date: September 07, 2017 02:29PM
Premium fuel won't make any difference. I thought you only have to meet emissions for the year the car was built?
Posted by: billb
Date: September 07, 2017 02:40PM
If HC is basically raw fuel I don't think longer HC chains of premium fuel that the system was not designed t burn will help any.

Usually a tune-up and hope it doesn't need oxygen sensor or catalytic converter. Both of the latter original ?

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Pat
Date: September 07, 2017 02:42PM
HC = unburnt fuel/oil

Timing, plugs, bad cat, vacuum leaks, bad PCV, etc. Combustion and after-treatment. Usually not fuel delivery on a stock motor in good condition. If it burns any oil, fresh oil change with a heavier weight oil might help.

If possible, try using a lower octane fuel for the test. Using premium in an engine that wasn't designed for it is going to give you worse HC readings. If you add the cleaner, burn off that tank, and another, before you retest.
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 07, 2017 03:09PM
Tape a $20 bill to the dashboard.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 07, 2017 03:11PM
Here they just plug into the OBD II port. No codes, you pass.
Posted by: Microman
Date: September 07, 2017 04:24PM
In California a 98 gets put thru the dyno with thing stuck in tailpipe

After 99 or 2000 it's just OBII,

Makes it harder to know when you get the HC lower at home,,, by doing maintenance
Date: September 07, 2017 05:02PM
Odd. OBD II became standard and mandatory on all new vehicles sold in the US in '96. Why sniff after that if there are no codes?

Oh, wait, Kalifornia. Their lawmakers live in their own world.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 07, 2017 05:21PM
Racer X
Odd. OBD II became standard and mandatory on all new vehicles sold in the US in '96. Why sniff after that if there are no codes?

And breath cleaner air than before.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: September 07, 2017 05:28PM
They are expecting you to magically make the car run cleaner than the engineers who designed it, and the manufacturers who built it? I'd call that magic.

Based on what you said, I stand by my statements.

Not trying to be a jerk, or argumentative, but that system is just bat crap crazy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2017 05:29PM by Racer X.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: September 07, 2017 06:13PM
Racer X

OBD-II was mandated for California cars for '96 models, but the countrywide requirement for it to be used in the rest of the US did not pass until '96, so was not required that year for cars sold outside CA. I would have to look up the law to see the date it was required for all vehicles, but I thought my '97 Plymouth still had OBD-i.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: September 07, 2017 06:35PM
The O2 could be a tiny bit higher. Did you change the air filter? How new are the spark plugs?

In tha 360. MRF User Map

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2017 06:36PM by Filliam H. Muffman.
Posted by: davester
Date: September 07, 2017 08:32PM
No, they don't make the emissions standards tighter every year so Racer X should be able to stop the coronary he seems to be having. That's pretty high HC, indicating that something is wrong. I'm guessing that your gas mileage stinks with readings like that. Have you checked the plugs, plug wires, other ignition parts and PCV valve? Could also be a vacuum leak somewhere in the intake or emissions plumbing. Check all the hoses. Also, did you change the oil before you went in? That's supposed to be good for a couple of HC points.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: September 07, 2017 08:36PM
OK. But based on the words typed by Microman "They keep lowering the standards each year, and this year, just fell below the number needed to pass with HC." they do.

So, based on that, I stand by my posts.

However, if they aren't lowering them, not an issue.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: September 07, 2017 08:45PM
I tried to get our car smogged in the county where my daughter is using it where she's going to college. Couldn't find a smog check center anywere in the county because her county doesn't require it. So, I just got the registration address changed to her county, and bingo! This is in Washington state. Maybe Calif has something similar for tgeir boondock counties.

Posted by: davester
Date: September 07, 2017 09:20PM
lost in space
Maybe Calif has something similar for tgeir boondock counties.

Yep, they do. The stringent testing requirements Microman is dealing with are for the highly polluted air basins.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Carm
Date: September 07, 2017 09:48PM
A tuneup is in order if it hasn't been done yet. Heavier oil as suggested.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: September 08, 2017 04:53AM
davester
No, they don't make the emissions standards tighter every year so Racer X should be able to stop the coronary he seems to be having. That's pretty high HC, indicating that something is wrong. I'm guessing that your gas mileage stinks with readings like that. Have you checked the plugs, plug wires, other ignition parts and PCV valve? Could also be a vacuum leak somewhere in the intake or emissions plumbing. Check all the hoses. Also, did you change the oil before you went in? That's supposed to be good for a couple of HC points.

Bad cat?

Is the engine known for allowing blow-by, like the one in my Dodge minivan?

20 years old after all...
Posted by: vision63
Date: September 09, 2017 11:42AM
davester

They're not willing to traverse certain "communities" that have certain "methods" that get one past certain smog "requirements." quotes smiley I do love my cleaner air!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 336
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015