advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $170.13 ( -0.05 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
TONS of spam calls from 650 area coded numbers..
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: September 07, 2017 03:06PM
Out of nowhere on the landline at my Folk's house..endless spam calls from the 650 area code..They have ATT but they don't live here (they, meaning, my Dad) the house gets rented on a week by week basis for the whole summer.

After some renters left about 2 or so weeks ago, this started..20+ times a days and also in the middle of the night.

Anyone else getting slammed by spam calls..different numbers from a specific area code?

ATT was not very helpful..wanting to sell a 'call screening' package of some sort..
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: TONS of spam calls from 650 area coded numbers..
Posted by: modelamac
Date: September 07, 2017 04:34PM
If they have an iPhone, they can turn on Do Not Disturb in Settings, and all calls from non-Contacts will go directly to voicemail. Just don't put any of those numbers into Contacts.

Legitimate callers will leave voicemail.

Mr. Curmudgeon, on Mav/EC/Sierra/blood thinner & some other "old people pills".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2017 04:35PM by modelamac.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 07, 2017 05:08PM
caller ID spoofing has rolled out of control lately. I get constant calls at home AND on my cell phone with the same area code and exchange. My Ooma controls much of that, and Hiya recently updated to notify 'probable caller ID spoofing', so I ignore lots of stuff.

Kraniac, if you have the capability of migrating the phone to a VOIP system, you can get much better remote control of the line. I'm actually kind of surprised that you have a land line in a rental place in any case. Too much opportunity for fraud by renters.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: September 07, 2017 05:37PM
I get several calls a day spoofed from known local numbers like the hospital and various business. I also get them from individuals.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: September 07, 2017 05:46PM
Kraniac
Out of nowhere on the landline at my Folk's house..endless spam calls from the 650 area code..They have ATT but they don't live here (they, meaning, my Dad) the house gets rented on a week by week basis for the whole summer.

After some renters left about 2 or so weeks ago, this started..20+ times a days and also in the middle of the night.

Anyone else getting slammed by spam calls..different numbers from a specific area code?

ATT was not very helpful..wanting to sell a 'call screening' package of some sort..

At some point. Someone with enough power is going to get harassed by one of these outfits and is going to go balistic and then MAYBE we will get the telcos to figure out how to identify and stop the bastards and turn it over to the judicial system to take care of them.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: JoeH
Date: September 07, 2017 05:54PM
C(-)ris
At some point. Someone with enough power is going to get harassed by one of these outfits and is going to go balistic and then MAYBE we will get the telcos to figure out how to identify and stop the bastards and turn it over to the judicial system to take care of them.

This. That is what happened about 25 or so years ago in connection with fax machines. Some offices for members of Congress got slammed with junk faxes either using up all the ink, toner or paper and keeping ones they needed from being delivered. From that the laws and regulations on who can fax and how they need to identify themselves, including phone numbers for removal came about.
Posted by: billb
Date: September 07, 2017 06:04PM
the number got sucker tagged ?

knock on wood and likely just a coincidence but our phones have gone quiet shortly after T-Mobil started labelling likely spam callers as 'likely spam'.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: September 07, 2017 06:40PM
Nomorobo has eliminated nearly all of the spam calls to my home phone. On my cell, I only answer if the number is in my contacts. If it's legit, whoever it is can leave a message. So far, only one message has been left. After I see that no message has been left, I block the number.
Posted by: blooz
Date: September 07, 2017 10:15PM
I live in a small town and it is possible to look at all the phone numbers in town in a matter of minutes. I see that all our phone numbers, after the three digit part, all start with one of three possible numbers in the four digit part. The spoofers have been using the other numbers, making it easy to see which are fakes.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 08, 2017 06:38AM
.....this is getting out of control both at work and at home......worse at home and coming home to at least 3-5 hang-up calls [ some are clearly robotic in nature ].....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: bobinmurphy
Date: September 08, 2017 08:01AM
My old landline number was ported to a cell years ago and is listed on the National Do Not Call list (which is virtually worthless). Over the last couple of years it has been getting more and more SPAM calls and the various services I've tried (Sprint, T-Mobile, Virgin, AT&T, CC) have not been all that helpful blocking them. Yeah most will block the call but then allow it to roll over to their voice mail which still costs me time and money to clean out. Finally just ported the number into the Cloud with NumberBarn and forward legit calls to my other cell phone. That seems to be pretty effective.

BTW, the AT&T SPAM call blocking option looks attractive, but it is only available for post-paid accounts. Since I use pre-paid (month-to-month) accounts it won't work for me.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 08, 2017 09:18AM
A note: For smartphone users, the "Hiya" app is really GOOD at identifying 'potential spoofed caller ID' calls. Or turn on blocking that sends all callers not in your address book directly to voicemail.

I wonder... if someone were to design a botnet system that would start spamming every nation in the world like MAD, would there be a call for an international do not call rule ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2017 09:19AM by cbelt3.
Posted by: wurm
Date: September 08, 2017 11:52AM
cbelt3
...Or turn on blocking that sends all callers not in your address book directly to voicemail.

It would be nice if this feature were available for iOS, but i don't believe it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 170
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015