Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $151.89 ( -1.50 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Dongles for 2017 MacBook Pro?
Posted by: Buck
Date: September 07, 2017 05:53PM
If I get a 2017 MBP, what are the right dongles for USB devices (printers), ethernet, etc.?
Is Thunderbolt 3 the same as USB-C?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Dongles for 2017 MacBook Pro?
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 07, 2017 06:02PM
USB C is the connection type, so thats what you want. To whatever you need.

You could also consider a dock.

Although I would try to do everything wireless =)

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 07, 2017 06:07PM
They send them out into the wild without dongles, so they don't freely reproduce.
Posted by: numbered
Date: September 07, 2017 08:22PM
The dongle situation is a mess. Lots of options, and not all of them work. Our sponsor's dock has great reviews. Devices from Anker and Aukey should be OK. The IT guy at work gave me one of these Aukey hubs which includes ethernet--which I need in the office--hdmi, USB-A, and a USB C port to pass power through. Works well and I just have one plug every morning for power, hdmi, a usb hub, usb audio, and ethernet. (The only drawback is that the cord connecting to the Mac is short. Many folks on the interwebs are pleading for an extension cable so they can hide this hub, but none of the available extension cables work. Some folks claim that extension cables are not allowed for USB-C.)

I suggest you get a few of these [www.amazon.com] as well. They allow you to use your old cables (eg, Lightning).
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 07, 2017 09:21PM
'It's the dongle life for you!'

Great advice already, I think a dock is likely the best outcome for you.

I have a dock at work and at home, and a bag of dongles for when I travel.

I hardly ever need to use the individual dongles except for a USB-C to USB-A converter (like numbered posted).
Posted by: testcase
Date: September 08, 2017 03:54AM
Dell has wired & wireless docking stations that will restore most of your old ports.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: September 08, 2017 05:14AM
numbered
(The only drawback is that the cord connecting to the Mac is short. Many folks on the interwebs are pleading for an extension cable so they can hide this hub, but none of the available extension cables work. Some folks claim that extension cables are not allowed for USB-C.)

The problem is that USB-C power cables are different from USB-C data cables are different from USB-C high-speed-data Thunderbolt cables are different from USB-C low-speed-data cables and all are potentially different from the cables that pass both power and data.

If you have a USB-C "hub" that provides charging then you need to get a long cable that's certified to provide charging at >60w. If you also pass data along that cable then you need a cable that's certified for *both* charging at >60w and data.

On top of that, many USB adapters that claim to pass 60w of power back to a laptop will not do so reliably and so won't even trickle-charge a 2016/2017 MacBook Pro.

...Yes, the situation is a mess.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2017 05:20AM by Onamuji.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 08, 2017 08:02AM
Thanks!

Onamuji
numbered
(The only drawback is that the cord connecting to the Mac is short. Many folks on the interwebs are pleading for an extension cable so they can hide this hub, but none of the available extension cables work. Some folks claim that extension cables are not allowed for USB-C.)

The problem is that USB-C power cables are different from USB-C data cables are different from USB-C high-speed-data Thunderbolt cables are different from USB-C low-speed-data cables and all are potentially different from the cables that pass both power and data.

If you have a USB-C "hub" that provides charging then you need to get a long cable that's certified to provide charging at >60w. If you also pass data along that cable then you need a cable that's certified for *both* charging at >60w and data.

On top of that, many USB adapters that claim to pass 60w of power back to a laptop will not do so reliably and so won't even trickle-charge a 2016/2017 MacBook Pro.

...Yes, the situation is a mess.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Buck
Date: September 08, 2017 12:08PM
The OWC dock is pricey, but I'll consider it for in the office.
Then, for light weight (I mean mass, not importance) road warring, I'll need USB and HDMI adapters. Looks like I can drop ethernet for traveling.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 08, 2017 12:33PM
.....another issue with dongles is.....it forces us to do a lot of fondling.....

.....with them.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 298
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015