The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $150.03 ( -1.86 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Equifax hacked
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 07, 2017 08:24PM
Great. Now what?

The credit reporting agency Equifax said Thursday that hackers gained access to sensitive personal data — Social Security numbers, birth dates and home addresses — for up to 143 million Americans, a major cybersecurity breach at a firm that serves as one of the three major clearinghouses for Americans’ credit histories.
Equifax said the breach began in May and continued until it was discovered in late July. It said hackers exploited a “website application vulnerability” and obtained personal data about British and Canadian consumers as well as Americans. Social Security numbers and birth dates are particularly sensitive data, giving those who possess them the ingredients for identity fraud and other crimes.

It gets even better.

Bloomberg News reported Thursday evening that three company executives — Chief Financial Officer John W. Gamble; Joseph M. Loughran III, the president of U.S. information solutions; and Rodolfo O. Ploder, the president of workforce solutions — sold large amounts of their shares of Equifax stock totaling nearly $1.8 million in the days after the breach was discovered July 29. The Washington Post confirmed the sales based on Securities and Exchange Commission filings.
The stock trades were not part of a previous scheduled sale, federal filings show.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2017 08:29PM by space-time.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Equifax hacked
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: September 07, 2017 08:38PM
This credit report mess is the scam. Useless. I always keep ours locked

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: hal
Date: September 07, 2017 09:33PM
Why do these guys own my credit data anyway? And they charge me to view it - it's insane! And now they give it away to the world for free - gee THANKS!
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 07, 2017 11:41PM
[www.bloomberg.com]

"Criminals took advantage of a "U.S. website application vulnerability to gain access to certain files" from mid-May through July of this year, Equifax said. The intruders also accessed dispute documents with personal identifying information for about 182,000 consumers."

So, which website was hacked? It wasn't a direct hack of Equifax. There is a link to check to see if your data was stolen. Mine most likely was.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 07, 2017 11:44PM
I seem to be OK.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 08, 2017 12:29AM
Not me. Awesome.

EDIT: I have to wait a week to enroll in their identity theft protection program! WTF?

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2017 12:32AM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: GeneL
Date: September 08, 2017 02:17AM
It was bad news for me. Just what I needed on top of my health issues.

Can anyone explain what it will mean for me if my identity information is somehow used by a fraudster? How will I be protected by my enrollment in the program that Equifax is offering in order to mitigate the breach?

Thanks for any thoughts you have and for your personal reaction to this unfortunate occurrence.

It struck me when I read the article, that the officers of Equifax had taken advantage of their knowledge of the breach to maximize their gain. Isn't this a criminal issue?

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Date: September 08, 2017 05:00AM
N-OS X-tasy!
Not me. Awesome.

EDIT: I have to wait a week to enroll in their identity theft protection program! WTF?

They want you to wait for your letter to arrive.

Posted by: Onamuji
Date: September 08, 2017 05:03AM
GeneL
Can anyone explain what it will mean for me if my identity information is somehow used by a fraudster? How will I be protected by my enrollment in the program that Equifax is offering in order to mitigate the breach?

1. What it will mean is that someone exploited your credit information to either open a credit line in your name and make purchases with that credit line or else make charges to your existing credit cards or other accounts.

2. Although this sort of breach is often exploited a few years after the initial theft of information, Equifax is offering just one year of credit monitoring. This will provide email alerts when someone checks your credit history or opens a new line of credit... for a period of time when in all likelihood nobody will be exploiting your info from the breach.

Posted by: flightdelayedagain
Date: September 08, 2017 05:11AM
Does this mean that only those who were customers of Equifax are affected?

"Equifax Inc. said its systems were struck by a cyberattack that may have affected about 143 million U.S. customers of the credit reporting agency, shedding light on one of the largest and most intrusive breaches in history."

"Equifax has established a dedicated website, www.equifaxsecurity2017.com, to help consumers determine if their information has been potentially impacted"

Not sure where on the site do you check to see if impacted?
Date: September 08, 2017 05:21AM
flightdelayedagain

They consider every person in the country with a credit history to be a "customer" for this purpose.

flightdelayedagain
Not sure where on the site do you check to see if impacted?

Although they may revamp the page later, right now if you scroll down on the first page of the site there's a big red button to click.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2017 05:22AM by Onamuji.
Date: September 08, 2017 05:28AM
Enter your last name and the last six digits of your social. Click button.

Posted by: GeneL
Date: September 08, 2017 05:48AM
Here's the actual direct link:

[trustedidpremier.com]

Just go to that web page, enter your name and the last six numbers of your social security number and once you establish that you are not a robot you will be presented with a button selection that will give you the answer to what you want to know.

The recommendations that I have seen have included freezing your accounts and changing all of your passwords.

So far, I still feel as if I am in the dark.

Good luck, and I everybody!

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 08, 2017 06:45AM
Onamuji
flightdelayedagain

They consider every person in the country with a credit history to be a "customer" for this purpose.

....this since they potentially have credit history of everyone.....and everyone is a 'customer'.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: riley5108
Date: September 08, 2017 06:51AM
Been through the "not a robot" part then the following:

Thank You

Based on the information provided, we believe that your personal information may have been impacted by this incident.

Click the button below to continue your enrollment in TrustedID Premier.

Get the following:
Thank You
Your enrollment date for TrustedID Premier is: 09/13/2017

Please be sure to mark your calendar as you will not receive additional reminders. On or after your enrollment date, please return to faq.trustedidpremier.com and click the link to continue through the enrollment process. Yep, have to wait a week to enroll...Grrr

Got caught up in the Anthem Blue Cross breach and been on their extended ID theft "AllClearID" Identity Theft Monitoring for the past 17 months...so far clear.

suppose I'll sign up with their TrustedID Premier monitoring, Grrr

- Riley
Southern Indiana, B-Town
Posted by: Robert M
Date: September 08, 2017 06:57AM
Space,

Thank you for your post! My data may have been compromised. Got to have my wife check her data now. Frustrating to the extreme.

Rob
Posted by: vicrock
Date: September 08, 2017 07:22AM
Also heard on the news that several of the high level officers of Equifax sold substantial quantities of their stock in the company shortly after 29 July. Coincidence?
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: September 08, 2017 07:25AM
"...three company executives — Chief Financial Officer John W. Gamble; Joseph M. Loughran III, the president of U.S. information solutions; and Rodolfo O. Ploder, the president of workforce solutions — sold large amounts of their shares of Equifax stock totaling nearly $1.8 million..."

I don't know what percent of each of their holdings in the company this represents, but FWIW, $1.8 mil divided three ways is $600,000, and for executives at their level that's almost chump change.

GuyGene
This credit report mess is the scam. Useless. I always keep ours locked

What do you mean you keep your credit report "locked"?

hal
Why do these guys own my credit data anyway? And they charge me to view it...

In case you were unaware, you can view your credit report from each of the three major credit houses for free once every year.
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 08, 2017 07:54AM
I just want to say changing your passwords is feel-good theater. It can't hurt, but it won't really help...they didn't steal passwords. The information stolen can be used to open new accounts, file bogus tax returns and even reset passwords using "Forgot Password?" tools and customer-service engineering.
Posted by: 3d
Date: September 08, 2017 07:57AM
When the site says, "may have been impacted", this vague general blanket statement pretty much applies to everyone.

Did anyone actually get a message that said something along the lines of. "No, you are not affected"?
Posted by: jh
Date: September 08, 2017 08:02AM
Says mine and my wife's have not been compromised. We have been members of All Clear ID for several years after a data breach from our city government of all places so hopefully we are protected.
Date: September 08, 2017 08:30AM
This is the message I got:

"Thank You

Based on the information provided, we believe that your personal information was not impacted by this incident.

Click the button below to continue your enrollment in TrustedID Premier."
Posted by: vicrock
Date: September 08, 2017 08:46AM
DeusxMac

What do you mean you keep your credit report "locked"?

You can put a security freeze on your credit from each of the 3 reporting bureaus -that way no one can take out a loan or a credit card in your name.

If you need to apply for a loan, mortgage or credit card, you lift the freeze.
Posted by: PeterW
Date: September 08, 2017 08:53AM
Isn’t there a cost (like $10) every time you lock or unlock your credit file?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 08, 2017 09:06AM
....one's dignity......or privacy.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 08, 2017 09:40AM
every. single. member of my family was hacked.
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: September 08, 2017 09:51AM
Deux, credit report freeze explained above. Yes, thees a $10 fee to unlock it, but these so called ID theft services charge more than that EVERY month! I loathe all this credit report mess. A legal scam that I hope soon becomes illegal and these 3 agencies are belly up.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: rgG
Date: September 08, 2017 11:44AM
flightdelayedagain
This is the message I got:

"Thank You

Based on the information provided, we believe that your personal information was not impacted by this incident.

Click the button below to continue your enrollment in TrustedID Premier."

That's what I got. I didn't put in my husband's info to check his.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 08, 2017 12:11PM
My result was "yes," my wife's was "no." Yet her information probably appears on the majority of my credit accounts along side mine.

I don't think they really know what the hell has happened.
Posted by: Michael
Date: September 08, 2017 01:34PM
There have been several comments concerning freezing credit.

Please--everybody consider it.

It's money well-spent, I think. There are different costs in different states. Georgia allows $3. The most is $10. Here's a table of what the various states allow/require: [help.equifax.com]

Here's Clark Howard's guide to freezing/thawing credit: [clark.com]
Posted by: D. Lawson
Date: September 08, 2017 02:39PM
Acer
My result was "yes," my wife's was "no." Yet her information probably appears on the majority of my credit accounts along side mine.

Same here.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: September 08, 2017 05:39PM
My data hacked. Whatever. If anything happens, I'll sue Equifax back to the stone age.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 08, 2017 06:58PM
Mine and my son's are affected.

My wife and mother were not.

The crooks in charge will get chewed out but keep there money. The lawyers will get millions from a class action suit. The rest of us will get a well greased nickel with instructions of how to keep it secure.

Sucks big time

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Date: September 09, 2017 06:45AM
If this happened in late July, or rather was detected in late July, why are we just now hearing about it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2017 06:45AM by Speedy.
Date: September 09, 2017 09:31AM
Speedy
If this happened in late July, or rather was detected in late July, why are we just now hearing about it?

First, because most states and the feds have no regulations requiring disclosure at all so they took the time to evaluate whether this was likely to leak and embarrass them before they disclosed it. Second: To give them time to set up a website to strip people of their rights. Most importantly: To give their executives time to sell some of their stock against the inevitable price drop; and to give their lobbyists time to push bills and prod the SEC to eliminate all repercussions for their insider trading and for the negligence that lead to this breach and the leak discovered shortly before it that most people still haven't heard about.

IMHO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2017 09:58AM by Onamuji.
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 09, 2017 11:08AM
Onamuji
Speedy

First, because most states and the feds have no regulations requiring disclosure at all so they took the time to evaluate whether this was likely to leak and embarrass them before they disclosed it. Second: To give them time to set up a website to strip people of their rights. Most importantly: To give their executives time to sell some of their stock against the inevitable price drop; and to give their lobbyists time to push bills and prod the SEC to eliminate all repercussions for their insider trading and for the negligence that lead to this breach and the leak discovered shortly before it that most people still haven't heard about.

IMHO.

This. These credit reporting agencies should be shut down and their executives put in jail, and those who sold stock right after the hack was discovered should be shot dead on the spot.

How were loans approved before credit reporting agencies? I would prefer to go to the bank with my tax return, letter of employment, pay and bank statements and government issues ID and fill in a paper form and wait a few days to find out if the loan is approved rather than have the convenience of instant approval. That would make ID theft more difficult IMHO.
Date: September 09, 2017 12:28PM
We tested Equifax's data breach checker — and it's basically useless

[www.zdnet.com]
Posted by: riley5108
Date: September 09, 2017 01:25PM
flightdelayedagain
We tested Equifax's data breach checker — and it's basically useless
[www.zdnet.com]

Interesting read, who knows...

Rechecked mine and got the same results, but then there's a 50 - 50 chance it would be the same. The site and/or my browser seems to remember my name entry.

- Riley
Southern Indiana, B-Town
Posted by: freeradical
Date: September 09, 2017 07:16PM
This might be a good time to consider whether it's a good idea to use the SSN as a universal identifier.
Date: September 09, 2017 08:21PM
space-time
How were loans approved before credit reporting agencies?

Equifax has been doing this since around 1899, but few companies used their services until the 1960s when they not only sold economic data, but also created and sold sordid reputation-reports not unlike the FBI's smear-files of roughly the same time-period. The Fair Credit Reporting Act was a meek attempt to tame them.

Job-history, self-reported credit history, references, equity and the "right" color of your skin was how you got a new line of credit before pulling credit reports got cheap and easy. I recall Donna Reed exploiting this to get a credit card for a chimp. Would not be surprised if that episode was responsible for some legislation.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 193
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015