The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $156.25 ( +0.27 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Re: Hurricane check-in thread
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 11, 2017 04:24PM
Billybob
All's well in North Central Florida. I left early for a business meeting. Big trees came down in neighbor's yard, and my pool enclosure took a hit, but everyone is safe.

I imagine those pool enclosures all over Florida are going to need some fixing. $$$

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Posted by: what4
Date: September 11, 2017 04:58PM
Tallahassee escaped with light rain and blustery winds. We had no damage at home.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: September 11, 2017 05:29PM
Friends in the Villages say that they (Villages) never lost power and there was very little damage. Sister-in-law in Punta Gorda has not damage. Some damage in the RV park where our unit is just east of Sarasota, but still don't know if our place has a lanai roof or if it was under significant water.

Mr. Curmudgeon, on Mav/EC/Sierra/blood thinner & some other "old people pills".
Posted by: rz
Date: September 11, 2017 07:01PM
We lost power around 1:30am last night. Could be out for days. Fortunately, we had cranked the AC down over the last several days, so it's still relatively cool inside. That will change tomorrow when we're back up to 90 for a high. Generator is keeping the fridge and freezer going. We hooked up the gas tankless water heater earlier to take showers after spending the day clearing debris. We lost one medium sized tree. If it gets too hot, we have a couple portable AC units to keep the bedroom cool enough to sleep.

No school for the kid today or tomorrow. Ditto for work, they have no power. But we get paid for it, so I'm not complaining about that.
Posted by: DP
Date: September 11, 2017 07:14PM
rz
We lost power around 1:30am last night. Could be out for days. Fortunately, we had cranked the AC down over the last several days, so it's still relatively cool inside. That will change tomorrow when we're back up to 90 for a high. Generator is keeping the fridge and freezer going. We hooked up the gas tankless water heater earlier to take showers after spending the day clearing debris. We lost one medium sized tree. If it gets too hot, we have a couple portable AC units to keep the bedroom cool enough to sleep.

No school for the kid today or tomorrow. Ditto for work, they have no power. But we get paid for it, so I'm not complaining about that.

Where?

Posted by: jdc
Date: September 11, 2017 09:07PM
p8712
GGD
jdc
p8712
Wind picking up. We should get hit by the eye.

If we only knew where you were...

p8712
On Florida's west cost - St. Pete. I'm right on the edge of an evac zone. Crossing my fingers.

[forums.macresource.com]

Thanks. Not my problem that jagoff couldn't scroll up. Winds picked up bad now, but still have power.

I just missed it, thats all. Usually on a long post where I have ready everything once already, I just scroll to the end to read the last few posts.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 12, 2017 05:36AM
I'M ALIVE! ALIVE I TELL YOU!!!

No damage to the house, but power and cable both went out at 9pm Sunday. There is no estimate on getting it back (neighbor works for spectrum, says cable is at least a week as there are multiple fiber cuts to the trunk). There is no gas within in 30 miles, and no deliveries coming today according to the deputies. I'm at a truck stop at I75 & the turnpike, no fuel but deliveries coming we are told.

The generator is down to last five gallons, hence my morning at the truck stop.

I hope to find out today the status of my Mothers condo in Bradenton.

Still we are all safe, that is what matters

I'll check back in when possible, maybe a day, maybe a week.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: rgG
Date: September 12, 2017 06:56AM
Ombligo

No damage to the house, but power and cable both went out at 9pm Sunday. There is no estimate on getting it back (neighbor works for spectrum, says cable is at least a week as there are multiple fiber cuts to the trunk). There is no gas within in 30 miles, and no deliveries coming today according to the deputies. I'm at a truck stop at I75 & the turnpike, no fuel but deliveries coming we are told.

Glad you are ok. Hope you find gas and get power and cable back ASAP.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: September 12, 2017 07:34AM
Truck Stop? Any Diesel there?

Ombligo

Date: September 12, 2017 07:58AM
From a listserv I'm on:

"The islands with dialysis units hit directly by hurricane Irma are:
St. Martin/Saint Maarten, Anguilla, Tortola, St Thomas, Providenciales.
Barbuda was also hit but I don’t think they have dialysis and most of the population were evacuated after the hurricane to nearby Antigua without outside help.

I have a particular interest since my parents live on Tortola. My father’s house was destroyed and he was missing for 3 days. He was eventually dug out of rubble.
There was no information coming out of the islands for the first 24 hrs, and very little after that.

This is my attempt at a short summary of the information I have now, may be inaccurate or out of date:
St. Martin / Sint Maarten: dialysis units damaged, main airport damaged. All patients evacuated to Guadeloupe, Aruba, Curacao by French and Dutch military using smaller airport on French side of Island.

Anguilla: dialysis unit damaged but repaired with assistance from UK navy vessel (RFA Mount Bay) which was in area at the time.

Tortola: Hospital partly flooded, including dialysis unit. ISN Nephrology Disaster Relief task Force attempted re-supply or evacuation of patients, but proved impossible due to almost complete lack of communication, damage to airports and seaports and impending arrival of another hurricane. Staff eventually got dialysis unit open without outside help. Staff are exhausted, running out of supplies and most sleeping in the hospital due to loss of homes. The biggest problem was lack of communication as landlines are down, no mains power, limited fuel for generators. Hospital staff were unable to contact family, patients or colleagues. Cellular phone service was restored in limited areas. Phones with charge and signal were continuously busy with outgoing calls so, in effect, it was impossible to call in. People calling out often had less information than those outside the islands due to the lack of internal communication.

UK military reached Tortola (on RFA Mount Bay after helping Anguilla), they were unable to land due to destruction of port, but crews landed by helicopter. By Monday, communication with the hospital was established and the airport reopened for aid flights. There are now 2-3 military flights per day between UK and Tortola. The runway is short and cannot normally handle long-distance flights. The military use C17 aircraft, refuelled in flight.

St. Thomas: the hospital lost its roof, airport closed. Patients were evacuated to nearby St Croix and Puerto Rico by US military helicopters.

I have news from Puerto Rico that hospital staff are exhausted and running out of supplies, due to the extra work. Parts of Puerto Rico were also hit but not as severely as the other islands and the airport reopened relatively quckly.
Providenciales: I have no information."

Posted by: lost in space
Date: September 12, 2017 09:11AM
Glad to hear that everyone in the thread seems to have come through it OK. Hope that's the case for all thr forumites.

Posted by: Pam
Date: September 12, 2017 10:21AM
Speedy
From a listserv I'm on:

"The islands with dialysis units hit directly by hurricane Irma are:
St. Martin/Saint Maarten, Anguilla, Tortola, St Thomas, Providenciales.
Barbuda was also hit but I don’t think they have dialysis and most of the population were evacuated after the hurricane to nearby Antigua without outside help.

I have a particular interest since my parents live on Tortola. My father’s house was destroyed and he was missing for 3 days. He was eventually dug out of rubble.
There was no information coming out of the islands for the first 24 hrs, and very little after that.

This is my attempt at a short summary of the information I have now, may be inaccurate or out of date:
St. Martin / Sint Maarten: dialysis units damaged, main airport damaged. All patients evacuated to Guadeloupe, Aruba, Curacao by French and Dutch military using smaller airport on French side of Island.

Anguilla: dialysis unit damaged but repaired with assistance from UK navy vessel (RFA Mount Bay) which was in area at the time.

Tortola: Hospital partly flooded, including dialysis unit. ISN Nephrology Disaster Relief task Force attempted re-supply or evacuation of patients, but proved impossible due to almost complete lack of communication, damage to airports and seaports and impending arrival of another hurricane. Staff eventually got dialysis unit open without outside help. Staff are exhausted, running out of supplies and most sleeping in the hospital due to loss of homes. The biggest problem was lack of communication as landlines are down, no mains power, limited fuel for generators. Hospital staff were unable to contact family, patients or colleagues. Cellular phone service was restored in limited areas. Phones with charge and signal were continuously busy with outgoing calls so, in effect, it was impossible to call in. People calling out often had less information than those outside the islands due to the lack of internal communication.

UK military reached Tortola (on RFA Mount Bay after helping Anguilla), they were unable to land due to destruction of port, but crews landed by helicopter. By Monday, communication with the hospital was established and the airport reopened for aid flights. There are now 2-3 military flights per day between UK and Tortola. The runway is short and cannot normally handle long-distance flights. The military use C17 aircraft, refuelled in flight.

St. Thomas: the hospital lost its roof, airport closed. Patients were evacuated to nearby St Croix and Puerto Rico by US military helicopters.

I have news from Puerto Rico that hospital staff are exhausted and running out of supplies, due to the extra work. Parts of Puerto Rico were also hit but not as severely as the other islands and the airport reopened relatively quckly.
Providenciales: I have no information."

So glad your parents are ok! My daughter just got back from a cruise with stops in St Thomas, Tortola, and Nassau. They returned to Miami the Saturday ahead of the storm. My daughter loved the islands. The damage reports and pictures are truly awful.
Date: September 12, 2017 11:20AM
Pam, my post was a copy and paste from a listserv that someone else posted. I posted it here to give a tiny slice of what a small group of (dialysis dependent) people and their caregivers were experiencing in places where Irma hit the hardest. It involves no one I know. Sorry to have not been clearer.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2017 01:44PM by Speedy.
Posted by: Pam
Date: September 12, 2017 12:59PM
Speedy
Pam, my post was a copy and paste from a listserv that someone else posted. I posted it here to give a tiny slice of what a small group of (dialysis dependent) people and their caregivers were experiencing in places where Irma hit the hardest. It involves no on I know. Sorry to have not been clearer.

My bad. Poor reading comprehension!
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 12, 2017 03:24PM
Got gas on the interstate this morning. Just dropped my mother off at her condo in Bradenton. She never even lost electric (clocks weren't blinking, her south facing vinyl windows weathered the storm fine. She would have been more comfortable there than with us, but no regrets that we played it safe.

From what I saw driving back and forth from 70miles north of Tampa to Bradenton (I stayed off the interstate insanity). Hernando County (Brooksville) got hit hard with many trees down and high water. From what I could see of Tampa/St Pete (there I was back on I-275), was very little damage. In Palmetto and Bradenton, many trees down, billboards blown out, some structures damaged.

There is no gas north of Tampa, but Palmetto & bradenton have no shortage at all. I pulled straight into a pump and topped off from this mornings fill in Wildwood (I-75 & FL turnpike), no waiting.

Just got word that school is canceled for students until Monday, but faculty and staff report back Friday. No idea what the rational for that is, as there will be nothing to do.

I know, I know first world problem. Oh well, heading back to my home (still sans electric, phone, and cable for the foreseeable future).

Till next time..

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: rgG
Date: September 12, 2017 03:31PM
Ombligo
Got gas on the interstate this morning. Just dropped my mother off at her condo in Bradenton. She never even lost electric (clocks weren't blinking, her south facing vinyl windows weathered the storm fine. She would have been more comfortable there than with us, but no regrets that we played it safe.

From what I saw driving back and forth from 70miles north of Tampa to Bradenton (I stayed off the interstate insanity). Hernando County (Brooksville) got hit hard with many trees down and high water. From what I could see of Tampa/St Pete (there I was back on I-275), was very little damage. In Palmetto and Bradenton, many trees down, billboards blown out, some structures damaged.

There is no gas north of Tampa, but Palmetto & bradenton have no shortage at all. I pulled straight into a pump and topped off from this mornings fill in Wildwood (I-75 & FL turnpike), no waiting.

Just got word that school is canceled for students until Monday, but faculty and staff report back Friday. No idea what the rational for that is, as there will be nothing to do.

I know, I know first world problem. Oh well, heading back to my home (still sans electric, phone, and cable for the foreseeable future).

Till next time..

Glad all is pretty good with you. I have gotten gas in Wildwood, when traveling down/back to Orlando.
Hope you get power back very soon.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: September 12, 2017 03:33PM
Thanks for the update! My sister lives in Bradenton (west of I-75) and I haven't heard anything from her.

Ombligo

Till next time..

Posted by: DP
Date: September 13, 2017 07:06AM
It still amazes me that a thunderstorm can blow up in west Africa, come off the coast and become a hurricane, come across the Atlantic, wreak havoc over a large area thousands of miles west from where it started, then drop some sprinkles here in the metro Detroit area...

I have noticed that some news outlets are showing before and after satellite images of the damage and are saying how the land has been scoured clean. The before showing green and the after showing brown, which they think is dirt. However, we were grazed by Hurricane Lenny back in '99 on Curaçao and afterwards we saw lots of trees turned to brown because of the salt water being blown about by the winds. A combination of salt water storm surge and salt spray has killed the trees and vegetation. It's not bare earth showing on the satellite pix but dead vegetation.

Glad you are OK out there and I hope the recovery goes quickly...

Posted by: billb
Date: September 13, 2017 08:14AM
The smell of fresh chewed cellulose permeates the air during and after a hurricane. It's a smell you never forget if you're paying attention.
Oak leaves can be rather pungent and we have quite a few oak trees here. The leaves get ripped and torn by the wind not unlike taking a handfull and putting them in your food processor. Leaving the stem behind. Like millions of blown out torn to shreds little flags.

I've seen trees lining a boulevard that were denuded in a hurricane in September bloom again like it was Spring and sprout new leaves only to have them freeze a few weeks later and fall to the ground brown instead of a normal yellow Fall colors.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: September 15, 2017 10:57AM
Stavs
Alive and well in Tampa smiling smiley

No update for Stavs?

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: GeneL
Date: September 15, 2017 11:50AM
I can't even imagine how things are in the places that were hit by the storms.
From what I have seen on TV, the damage in some places will take years to get back to normal.
I wish that I could offer more than words to my friends who are affected by the horrific damage that I have seen on the news.
All my forum friends are in my thoughts. I will be anxious to hear how you all are doing.
Stay safe!

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 279
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015