Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $151.89 ( -1.50 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Hurricane check-in thread
Posted by: mrp-admin
Date: September 08, 2017 08:26AM
As was done previously with Harvey (link), here's a thread sticky to post updates. Everyone please be safe!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Hurricane check-in thread
Posted by: pipiens
Date: September 08, 2017 09:50AM
I am out of Fl. My place in Bonita Springs is just on the edge of the cone of probable hurricane tracks. Many friends and neighbors are sticking it out. At this point they are out of options as gas is not available.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 08, 2017 10:44AM

Brought my mom in last night. Got up early to start putting shutters in place, will finish the main windows tomorrow, then put the garage door braces up. I also need to move stuff out of the yard. So far I don't see neighbors doing anything, hope that changes soon

I'm just hoping it either holds steady or goes back east - the last thing we need is for it to go west into the gulf. If that happens it will likely not weaken and we will be on the strong side.

My son's girlfriends family bugged out last night and headed to his place in Tallahassee. Hopefully that will be a good call.

fingers crossed.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2017 10:46AM by Ombligo.
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: September 08, 2017 11:12AM
Leaving in an hour out of our new Sarasota digs to a friend's in Tallahassee.

Mac Pro 2013 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5, 16G RAMSierra 10.12.6 Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Posted by: billb
Date: September 08, 2017 11:51AM
Ombligo

Brought my mom in last night. .

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Spiff
Date: September 08, 2017 12:46PM
We were in the direct path in Columbia, SC - looks like it is now predicted to move westward, which is not set it stone, I know. Be safe and good luck to all that Irma is directly affecting!
Date: September 08, 2017 01:23PM
billb
Ombligo

Yeah, I could have put that in better terms... lol

She is 97, and lives alone in a condo in Bradenton. She found high ground for her car, and I drove down and brought her back to my place.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: September 08, 2017 01:37PM
Ombligo
billb
Ombligo
She is 97, and lives alone in a condo in Bradenton. She found high ground for her car, and I drove down and brought her back to my place.

Thanks for querying Bill, I was wondering myself. Put it down to normal US folks keeping their parents in the yard.

Take care everyone and when possible keep in touch.

Paul

Posted by: rgG
Date: September 08, 2017 02:14PM
It seems like much of FL is in Atlanta right now. I made the mistake of going to Costco this afternoon and you couldn't even get in the parking lot without waiting for like five minutes. So many people lining up to buy gas and blocking the road in. Then people all over the store apparently stocking up on stuff or maybe buying for displaced relatives or who knows what.
Traffic is awful and gas is up over 50¢ from maybe two weeks ago. It seems to be up like 25¢ in the last two days.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 08, 2017 03:14PM
Every updated forecast seems to move it a few miles further west.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: September 08, 2017 05:55PM
voodoopenguin
Ombligo
billb
Ombligo

Thanks for querying Bill, I was wondering myself. Put it down to normal US folks keeping their parents in the yard.

Take care everyone and when possible keep in touch.

Paul

Taken rather literally it does sound kinda odd. I figured maybe a M-I-L apartment in the back yard. They're kinda popular with some folks. I was gonna type "Woof !!!!" but with the thin skins of so many lately I added nothing.

Everyone take care and be well.

The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
[soundcloud.com]
Date: September 08, 2017 06:20PM
Bill, we don't even bother each other on the dark side of the forum, so there is nothing here to get upset about.

oh, and I have my Mother-in-Law here as well.

I may just spend Irma in my backyard hammock with a bottle of rum.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 08, 2017 07:17PM
Ombligo
Bill, we don't even bother each other on the dark side of the forum, so there is nothing here to get upset about.

oh, and I have my Mother-in-Law here as well.

I may just spend Irma in my backyard hammock with a bottle of rum.

I hope your hammock has a seatbelt because the predictions for the track of the eye keep drifting further west.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: p8712
Date: September 08, 2017 09:08PM
St. Petersburg, FL here. Dug in and ready.
Posted by: max
Date: September 08, 2017 09:11PM
voodoopenguin
Ombligo
billb
Ombligo

Paul

So where do you, Brits, keep your parents?....
Posted by: GeneL
Date: September 08, 2017 09:35PM
I'm glad to see that many of you are looking out for your family members.

I watch the storms' progress on TV and wonder and worry about my friends here that are in the path of these monumental horrific storms.

I'll be watching to see that everyone is okay.

Stay safe!

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 08, 2017 11:23PM
Glad to see the NOAA still uses MS Paint for their maps.

And it looks like its going to skirt Miami and eye will pass over Tampa/Sarasota?

I have clients in Miami, Tampa and Sarasota. Plus Nashville, Charleston and Charlotte.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2017 11:29PM by jdc.
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: September 09, 2017 12:04AM
I'm a little north and east of Ombligo, not on the coast. The traffic has been crazy, but seemed a little less so tonight. We're staying home, and hope everyone has found a snug harbor, safe from the storm. coffee smiley
Posted by: neophyte
Date: September 09, 2017 10:35AM
Looking like Charleston will be relatively safe so I cancelled my hotel reservation in TN.

I moved here from Lutz FL just before Hugo hit here in 1989. I saw first hand what a Cat 4 hurricane does to houses and trees. I feel for you forumites in the path of Irma.

Watch out for trees, they can crush houses.
Posted by: Stavs
Date: September 09, 2017 10:39AM
Alive and well in Tampa smiling smiley

Posted by: tuqqer
Date: September 09, 2017 11:36AM
Made the decision to play it safe. Drove 13 hours yesterday up to Tallahassee to stay with a friend here (normally a 4-hour trip), and we are safe and sound. We’ll see Sunday if we have to head further north to Alaska or the North Pole.

Mac Pro 2013 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5, 16G RAMSierra 10.12.6 Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Posted by: richorlin
Date: September 09, 2017 11:48AM
We had planned to be in the Tampa area from 9/6 thru 9/12 for a friend's wedding. Glad we cancelled on the 5th. Got my $ back from Southwest and filed a claim on the cancellation insurance I thoughtfully purchased when I booked the VRBO in July.
Needless to say, the wedding has been postponed till October.

Everybody stay safe and out of Irma's path.

richorlin

[DrawingMyLife.com]
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: September 09, 2017 12:31PM
Flagler Beach, FL here. About 20 miles north of Daytona. Feeling much safer here, now. Still praying for all the people in the "path" of this massive storm.

The Gulf does not need this, at all.

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: Mr645
Date: September 09, 2017 01:48PM
All shuttered and stocked in Boca Raton. half way between Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach. a bit windy, no rain yet as of 2:45 pm. We don;t expect much, perhaps 100 mph winds at most, probably a bit less. Not expecting much damage in the area from that. Taking Monday to clean up and then wishing that everyone in the Florida Keys and West Cost of Florida is in good shape and any assistance is quick. Also out neighbors throughout the Caribbean and Cuba, especially Barbuda, Anguilla, Cuba, St.Martin, St. Marteen and St Thomas. These caribbean islands were virtually destroyed by Irma and but some face Hurricane Jose
Posted by: mstudio
Date: September 09, 2017 01:54PM
We have a place in Tarpon Springs, just North of Tampa on the coast. I've been working on it and building a new studio the past year. We were to move next month. I left there last night and am headed up to the panhandle. I fear when I go back down on Tuesday if they let me, my year's work will have been for naught. Im glad my wife is safe back in Wisconsin.
Date: September 09, 2017 02:09PM
All shutters up, garage door braces in place, everything outside is in, cars fueled up, pantry stocked, and cash on hand. Not much else I can do.

We live in what is called sandhills, lots of smaller oaks (20'-25' tall) clustered tight together for about a mile in all directions. The wind batters the outer trees but then rises and flows over the tops. Makes a very effective wind block. Flooding won't be a worry at all. The wind is what has me concerned. It is forecast to be a Cat 3 (115mph), with the eye around 30 miles west of me when it gets here Monday morning. That has me uneasy, but I've done what I can. We should be fine as long as the roof stays on.

The wife and I talked about going to her sisters in Jacksonville. We decided it was better here - their house has a bad roof, water damaged wall studs and will still be getting 45mph winds. If it looks like it is going to be worse, we'll go to a local school shelter.

Posted by: what4
Date: September 09, 2017 04:28PM
Hunkering down in Tallahassee, which is increasingly looking down the barrel of the storm path.
Posted by: rz
Date: September 09, 2017 05:29PM
Hunkered down here in Orlando. The shift of track to the west is both a blessing and a curse. As of a couple of days ago, it was supposed to be to our east, and down to a category two. Now, it's to the west, but as a category 3. And that puts us in the northeast quadrant, which is more susceptible to tornadoes and higher winds.

Our windows have a film on them that both protects for flying debris, and from someone trying to break our windows, so we didn't board up. Yard has been cleared as much as possible to stow anything that can fly. Garage door has been sandbagged. Generator was tested today, and we have about 40 gallons of gas for it in case we lose power. We got gas on Tuesday, before everyone started panicking. Got plenty of food and water. Wife has been putting stuff in plastic totes in case of flooding or roof leaks. Pretty much nothing to do now except wait for it to hit.
Date: September 09, 2017 10:23PM
11pm report has it down to a cat 2 for me. Unfortunately it is headed to Tallahassee where my son is as a cat 1 on Monday.

It is moving WNW at 5mph on some of the hottest water on the planet. Hopefully it won't strengthen too much.

Fingers and toes crossed that this will be minor event.

Posted by: DP
Date: September 10, 2017 10:11AM
OK, I've checked into the Weather Channel a few minutes ago and I don't know if it's the producers or the decision of the personalities but Mike Seidel is going to die! He is getting blown all over the place by a boardwalk on the Miami River near Brickell. The lumber is breaking up in the waves that are coming over the seawall. Seidel is going to get speared if he doesn't move, or blown into the River! Sorry, but that is just plain stupid!
Not worth dying for to show us how "dedicated" they are are...

Also, a cam on PTZtv is showing a beachfront image with a sailboat at the dock. It looks like it has three poles that are securing the boat and keeping it from getting slammed into the dock. But the waves and wind are thrashing and rocking the boat all over and if those poles hold, I'll be impressed. However, I can't tell now because the rain and wind have really reduced the view.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2017 10:12AM by DP.
Date: September 10, 2017 10:36AM
Cause Florida? smiley-excited001

By the time Hurricane Irma started to cross the Keys, more than 54,000 people had signed up for the Facebook event Shoot at Hurricane Irma.

"Let's show Irma that we shoot first," says the description of the event. Florida is a Stand Your Ground state, after all.

The event is obviously a joke, but that's not stopping Pasco County Sheriff's Office from warning the public that it's not a great idea.

----

Date: September 10, 2017 10:40AM
DP
OK, I've checked into the Weather Channel a few minutes ago and I don't know if it's the producers or the decision of the personalities but Mike Seidel is going to die! He is getting blown all over the place by a boardwalk on the Miami River near Brickell. The lumber is breaking up in the waves that are coming over the seawall. Seidel is going to get speared if he doesn't move, or blown into the River! Sorry, but that is just plain stupid!
Not worth dying for to show us how "dedicated" they are are...

Also, a cam on PTZtv is showing a beachfront image with a sailboat at the dock. It looks like it has three poles that are securing the boat and keeping it from getting slammed into the dock. But the waves and wind are thrashing and rocking the boat all over and if those poles hold, I'll be impressed. However, I can't tell now because the rain and wind have really reduced the view.

They've got toothpaste, feminine hygiene products and agendas to sell.

[soundcloud.com]
Date: September 10, 2017 10:45AM
At least Seidel left the area for "higher ground", he said. A few grey cells left...

Date: September 10, 2017 11:20AM
We're getting rain and wind already, which is both impressive and scary since Irma is still 200 miles away. The little ray of hope is that it has been tracking almost due north since leaving the Keys. The more it does, the sooner it makes landfall and grow weaker. It isn't good news for Naples and Cape Coral, but will help points further north.

I know, I'm grasping at straws but that is all I have left to do. Besides, If I don't stop eating the hurricane snacks. I'll never fit in the helicopter basket.

Date: September 10, 2017 01:01PM
Wind picking up. We should get hit by the eye.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: September 10, 2017 01:07PM
Not much comfort, but fortunately it isn't going to be the 185 mph sustained (225 mph gust) monster that hit some of the eastern Caribbean islands.

Max sustained winds have dropped to 120 mph. Though It appears Naples is about to get slammed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2017 01:14PM by Carnos Jax.
Date: September 10, 2017 03:16PM
p8712

If we only knew where you were...

WTF is it with these jag off CCN dorks standing outside in the 100 MPH winds getting blasted? If this one dude just took 5 steps forward he would be totally dry but we would still see the trees outside blowing...

----

Date: September 10, 2017 03:49PM
WTF is it with these jag off CCN dorks standing outside in the 100 MPH winds getting blasted? If this one dude just took 5 steps forward he would be totally dry but we would still see the trees outside blowing...

I'm waiting for something to come flying along and clock one one of 'em real good... A coconut would go right thru a skull.
Just reported a 142 mph gust at Naples airport.

Posted by: GGD
Date: September 10, 2017 05:01PM
jdc
p8712

p8712
On Florida's west cost - St. Pete. I'm right on the edge of an evac zone. Crossing my fingers.

[forums.macresource.com]
Posted by: steve...
Date: September 10, 2017 05:59PM
WTF is it with these jag off CCN dorks standing outside in the 100 MPH winds getting blasted?

I saw one TV reporter who had anchored himself with a big strap tied around his waste waist.

RollingEyesSmiley5

Edited for spelling (see next post) facepalm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2017 07:04PM by steve....
Posted by: PeterW
Date: September 10, 2017 06:48PM
Solid, liquid or waist?
Date: September 10, 2017 07:29PM
It's TV.. the visual matters to the masses, and don't think for a minute these guys aren't trying to outdo each other. It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt or killed.

Anyway, it looks like most of Florida dodged the bullet again. Miami, Naples, and the Keys got slammed but it could have been much worse. I just hope not to lose power, since it will take days for Duke to fix my little corner of the world.

The best news will be that no one got themselves killed.

Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: September 10, 2017 07:33PM
Ombligo
Anyway, it looks like most of Florida dodged the bullet again. Miami, Naples, and the Keys got slammed but it could have been much worse...

Amen to that...I am somewhat relieved. This could have been so much worse.
Posted by: bfd
Date: September 10, 2017 09:26PM
This is not over by any means. Tonight will be a long night for many, many Floridians. Good luck to you all!
Date: September 10, 2017 09:32PM
GGD
jdc
p8712

p8712
On Florida's west cost - St. Pete. I'm right on the edge of an evac zone. Crossing my fingers.

[forums.macresource.com]

Thanks. Not my problem that jagoff couldn't scroll up. Winds picked up bad now, but still have power.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 11, 2017 08:29AM
Ombligo
The best news will be that no one got themselves killed.
There are reports of two officers dying in a car crash, and several children dying in accidents , all during the evacuation process... Sadly any emergency endeavor will produce fatal accidents..
Date: September 11, 2017 11:51AM
Still alive.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 11, 2017 12:54PM
p8712
Still alive.
Glad you all made it. Looks like the storm is mostly past you. Stay safe !
Posted by: pipiens
Date: September 11, 2017 04:17PM
All OK
I am located between Naples and Ft Myers. The report from my neighbors say that we had lots of wind but not much surge. Minimal damage.

I spent the time in NYC.
Posted by: Billybob
Date: September 11, 2017 04:17PM
All's well in North Central Florida. I left early for a business meeting. Big trees came down in neighbor's yard, and my pool enclosure took a hit, but everyone is safe.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 226
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015