advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
OR else?!......Reminder: 'The ORville' [ 'Star Trek' parody ] debuTTs on Sunday --> here is another bad review......
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 08, 2017 11:25AM
....usually only use critics as a guide, so may still watch it but there have been so many bad reviews that it looks like a train wreck.......

......but this is Fox....they cancel great shows quickly and keep on blech......

‘The Orville’ Review: Seth MacFarlane’s ‘Star Trek’ Rip-Off is Creatively, Morally, and Ethically Bankrupt

......The best way to describe “The Orville” is “What would happen if a guy who spent years writing animated dick jokes for television got the opportunity to make his own ‘Star Trek’? Oh, and what if his parent network gave him millions to make that happen?” It is a show that will be baffling for people who have never seen an episode of “Star Trek.” And for fans of the franchise, who know intimately how a “Trek” series feels, it will be downright disturbing.

“The Orville” chronicles the adventures of Captain Ed Mercer (Seth MacFarlane) and the loyal crew of the U.S.S. Orville (seriously, it uses the prefix U.S.S.) as they soar through space on some unexplained exploratory mission in the far distant future. There are humans, and there are good aliens, some of whom are crew members, and there are bad aliens, who get fought in space battles. There’s also Ed feuding with his ex-wife Kelly (Adrianne Palicki), who now serves as his commanding officer despite the fact that that’s probably a terrible idea. But otherwise, it’s a simple show about decent people traveling through space and occasionally saying funny things.

It’s the sort of show that might sound sustainable as a half-hour comedy. In fact, when first revealed last May, nothing about “The Orville” seemed all that offensive. Based on the trailer, the assumption was that Seth MacFarlane was doing a “Star Trek” parody, a la “Galaxy Quest” — theoretically not an annoying notion, especially since “Galaxy Quest” was a great movie.

But the most shocking fact about “The Orville for most people is that it’s an hour long, and fundamentally uninterested in being a comedy. So many “Orville” scenes just die in the moment, because MacFarlane’s comedy instincts as a writer (he wrote the pilot, at the least) means that he can’t avoid writing in jokes. But this show does genuinely want to be a sci-fi adventure, so the comedy is either played completely deadpan, or not played at all. After watching the actual show, its intentions became clear: Seth wanted to cosplay being captain of the U.S.S. Enterprise. And Fox let him do it.............

read the entire review...............?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2017 11:34AM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OR else?!......Reminder: 'The ORville' [ 'Star Trek' parody ] debuTTs on Sunday --> here is another bad review......
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 08, 2017 11:53AM
Did they not watch Galaxy Quest to see how to combing both comedy and drama?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Re: OR else?!......Reminder: 'The ORville' [ 'Star Trek' parody ] debuTTs on Sunday --> here is another bad review......
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 08, 2017 12:05PM
I agree the Galaxy Quest premise would be a great set-up for a series, and MacFarlane's writing talents would have a rich vein to mine pairing current cultural references with space opera without egregious anachronism. Apparently everyone interested in the genre could see that except MacFarlane and/or Fox.

But, who knows, maybe that was the original idea but they could not get rights to rip off Galaxy Quest.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2017 12:08PM by Acer.
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 08, 2017 12:35PM
Im not sure they needed to rip it off per se, but its a good example of "dramedy" and just happens to be set in a 'space" theme.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 08, 2017 12:54PM
Acer
I agree the Galaxy Quest premise would be a great set-up for a series, and MacFarlane's writing talents would have a rich vein to mine pairing current cultural references with space opera without egregious anachronism. Apparently everyone interested in the genre could see that except MacFarlane and/or Fox.

But, who knows, maybe that was the original idea but they could not get rights to rip off Galaxy Quest.

My first impression after seeing the trailer for this show is it would be exactly that.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: September 09, 2017 09:31AM
isn't there a galaxy quest tv series already in development?
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: September 09, 2017 09:40AM
Bill in NC

Yes.

By all accounts, this was never an attempt to rip off Galaxy Quest. It has been MacFarlane's baby for a long time. He's a sci-fi nerd. It got greenlit after the success of Guardians of the Galaxy showed that there was an audience for this sort of mix of comedy and drama in a sci-fi milieu.

BTW: He has pulled together some very good talent for this show. Brannon Braga, Jonathan Frakes and Jon Favreau are guest-directors. Charlize Theron and Jeffrey Tambor are among the first guests.

Don't write it off just yet.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 09, 2017 10:20AM
Bill in NC

......yes, but probably won't be the same without Alan Rickman.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 204
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015