The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $150.11 ( -1.78 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Touch ID and Passcode
Posted by: wurm
Date: September 08, 2017 08:10PM
Poll
Do you use Touch ID and/or Passcode on your iPhone?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
38 votes were received.
Touch ID 6

16%
Passcode 4

11%
neither 0

0%
both 28

73%

Here's a pretty simple little poll. Do you use Touch ID (fingerprint) and/or a passcode on your iPhone? Feel free to explain why or why not. I recently set up my new iPhone SE and just didn't want to deal with setting it up at the time (same excuse for previous 5s), but now I'm wondering if I ought to take the time to do it. My phone is always either in my hand, in my pocket, or at home on the charger. I don't leave it lying around. I guess if someone broke into my house or mugged me it could be stolen, but otherwise I think it's pretty secure.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Touch ID and Passcode
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 08, 2017 08:15PM
Love TouchID. Set it up - it's sweet.
Posted by: tortoise
Date: September 08, 2017 08:46PM
sekker
Love TouchID. Set it up - it's sweet.

agree smiley

This is especially true now that most of the banks and financial institutions also utilize touch ID.
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 08, 2017 09:05PM
Yeah, what they said. Eff typing in that stupid code a billion times over.

Setup *might* take 15 seconds, maybe 20. Its mot like you are filling out taxes.

Touch ID for everything now -- open phone, apple pay, 3 bank sites, starbucks, garage door, etc.

I setup left and right thumbs, dont even have to LOOK at the phone to open it -- grab and go.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: September 08, 2017 09:29PM
jdc
Touch ID for everything now -- open phone, apple pay, 3 bank sites, starbucks, garage door, etc.

I setup left and right thumbs, dont even have to LOOK at the phone to open it -- grab and go.

Yeah. Facial recognition just will not cut it. I can unlock my phone and launch a familiar app quickly and without looking at it. Having to look down at the phone to unlock it seems like a big step backwards.

Date: September 08, 2017 09:35PM
I'm going to be looking hard at the IP8, but if the replacement for TouchID looks inferior, I may go for an iP7S.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 08, 2017 09:38PM
....some love touching.....multiple times a day.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 08, 2017 10:18PM
Just the code.

Law enforcement can force you to use the Touch ID but they cannot compel you to give the passcode. I like that; make them work for it.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: September 08, 2017 10:27PM
Speedy
Just the code.

Law enforcement can force you to use the Touch ID but they cannot compel you to give the passcode. I like that; make them work for it.

Do you really worry about that? If so, just shutoff your iPhone before you give it to the police. And I think Apple has a new button for this in ios11.
Date: September 08, 2017 10:37PM
sekker
Speedy
Just the code.

Do you really worry about that? If so, just shutoff your iPhone before you give it to the police. And I think Apple has a new button for this in ios11.

Yeah, seriously.

What could possibly be on your phone that you want to hide from the police. If you think that there is something, then you prob shouldnt have it on there...

----

Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 08, 2017 11:28PM
jdc
sekker
Speedy
Just the code.

Yeah, seriously.

What could possibly be on your phone that you want to hide from the police. If you think that there is something, then you prob shouldnt have it on there...

I don't worry about it. I just prefer it out of principle.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Bo
Date: September 09, 2017 01:32AM
Love Touch ID...just wish that having it enabled didn't force you to require fingerprint or code immediately once it goes to sleep. Don't understand why they don't give you the option for not requiring it for 1, 5 or 15 minutes.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: September 09, 2017 04:30AM
The iPhone lags behind Android in this arena, though the iPhone touch ID is on the front, so I use my thumb, and the (our) Android's is on the back so I use my index finger. What I really like about Android is the flexibility to control a whole bunch of log in stuff w/ its settings that I'm hoping iOS will catch up to soon. On the flip side, I can see where Android's implementations allow for many more gaping security holes, but dang, it's great for ease of use for luddites... especially since (Experion) hackers have shown they're gonna get our info anyway.
==
Posted by: Robert M
Date: September 09, 2017 05:53AM
Warm,

Touch ID pro airily now that I finally have it working. Need to have four entries of my primary touch finger in the phone befor it worked. Even now, though, it still doesn't always work but it is now a minor inconvenience rather than an annoying as heck issue.

Robert
Posted by: billb
Date: September 09, 2017 08:04AM
I have the (touch ID and ) password for just the lockscreen. For prying eyes. Even though I'm pretty sure there's nothing on my phone anyone could be interested in, but through icloud maybe get at passwords and such. And there's no prying eyes here.
I haven't left my phone anywhere but next door once, but it's not impossible to happen somewhere else. Too easy to leave in the car not out of sight.
Not everyone are thieves or just plain nosy, but people do take stuff. I have a garden in my front yard visible from the street. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it with my own two eyes, but people take stuff. Not grocery bags full of stuff. Mostly just " a taste". Sometimes "ooh I wanna taste some more". Funny how people justify actions they know are wrong and unacceptable. Mostly the little cherry and plum tomatoes. Cuz they're little I guess. A tiny digression. Like a kid would do. A big grown up kid. LOL.
It's probably good for the soul to be naughty every now and then, :-)

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: wurm
Date: September 09, 2017 08:37AM
Thanks for the comments, folks. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to set it up and try it. Worst case, it drives me crazy and I disable it. I wouldn't mind quite as much if it would let me just get to the home screen without requiring the print or code. Sometimes I just like to glance and see the time or if there are any notifications I need to deal with.

Never mind. I just set it up and see that I cann make those allowances. Also set up Apple Pay while I was at it. Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2017 09:00AM by wurm.
Posted by: mspace
Date: September 09, 2017 08:58AM
I have both active.

If you reboot your phone, you have to use the code. Touch ID is not accepted.

Also, I have had to redo the prints a few times. If my fingers are cold, or a little damp, it is not accepted, and I've used the code.
Date: September 09, 2017 10:14AM
Every now and then I've had the home button 'clunk' when I've put my finger on it and it just goes to the password screen instead of asking to try again. I hope that's not the home button going bad. I'm hoping it's a dirty or damp finger or anything but the button. Maybe every 25th time or so. I haven't kept track.

The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 09, 2017 10:21AM
....but this encourages bad people to cut off your finger to get access.....

.....and heard that too much touching a day.....'causes blindness....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: September 09, 2017 12:43PM
Onamuji
jdc

Yeah. Facial recognition just will not cut it. I can unlock my phone and launch a familiar app quickly and without looking at it. Having to look down at the phone to unlock it seems like a big step backwards.

agree smiley

Except on my new iPhone 7, half the time, Touch ID doesn't work and I have to type in the ridiculous number anyway! banghead smiley

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Date: September 09, 2017 12:57PM
GuyGene
Except on my new iPhone 7, half the time, Touch ID doesn't work and I have to type in the ridiculous number anyway! banghead smiley

Usually, the trick to resolving that problem is to scan the same finger multiple times in the Touch ID > Add a fingerprint settings.

I wonder how many times they'll let you scan your face.

Posted by: GuyGene
Date: September 09, 2017 01:36PM
Thanks Ona. I'm not wanting to scan me face! Stupid idea, Apple. They need to fire some people in Cupertino: whoever came up with MobileMe (!!), Cube (uh, Steve...RIP), some other dumb and useless things, aka, junk, Apple has made over the years. Oh me, gone to rambling again...old fogey smiley

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Date: September 09, 2017 01:36PM
GuyGene
Onamuji
jdc

agree smiley

Yeah, scan your finger again.
I got a splinter in my finger and the tiniest of little red spots would confound the picky comparator.
I redid mine and even though my finger has now "healed" the Touch ID works much better.
I probably could have just added the same finger as a second finger.

[soundcloud.com]
Date: September 09, 2017 01:43PM
GuyGene
Thanks Ona. I'm not wanting to scan me face! Stupid idea, Apple. They need to fire some people in Cupertino: whoever came up with MobileMe (!!), Cube (uh, Steve...RIP), some other dumb and useless things, aka, junk, Apple has made over the years. Oh me, gone to rambling again...old fogey smiley

Dude, did you just trash the Cube?

A fully upgradeable Mac -- with DIY HDD, RAM and video card in a beautiful 12 x 12 fanless case?

You get 10 lashes with the cord of a hockey puck mouse and say 7 "steve jobs".

Sheesh. RollingEyesSmiley5

----

Date: September 09, 2017 02:19PM
the cube was a financial flop and represented everything that was wrong with Apple's form over function mentality at the time.
It will probably always be on every 10 worst apple products and 10 best apple appealing design lists

[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Michael
Date: September 09, 2017 07:31PM
Onamuji
GuyGene

Usually, the trick to resolving that problem is to scan the same finger multiple times in the Touch ID > Add a fingerprint settings.

I wonder how many times they'll let you scan your face.

Oh--thanks. I stopped using Touch ID because it was just unreliable for me and it irritated me. I've now scanned the same finger 5 times. Maybe that will take care of it!
Date: September 09, 2017 08:18PM
I usually have to rescan seasonally here in MN - winter vs summer fingerprints are different...
Posted by: Phy
Date: September 09, 2017 08:22PM
I do not seem to have readable fingerprints, so have to use the code. I'd be happy to have a retina scan, though.
And no, I did not sand them off; I think I worked them off.

"Out of the quarrel with others we make rhetoric; out of the quarrel with ourselves we make poetry." -William Butler Yeats
Date: September 09, 2017 09:20PM
Phy
I'd be happy to have a retina scan, though.

Retina scans are very unsafe. Where a very good fingerprint reader requires a fairly sophisticated fake-finger with a good print (gelatin with a very good and detailed mold and just the right consistency) to hack it, even the best retina scanners seem to fall for photos -- much like the flaws in facial recognition scanners -- but also, hackers have been able to engineer completely fabricated iris-scans that pass for authentic. Retina scans that work reliably are science-fiction for now.

Apple's facial scan supposedly measures hot-spots and depth using IR so that adds an extra measure of protection, but it's not exactly hard to make a false-color image that can fool an ordinary IR facial scan. It'll be interesting to see how quickly hackers circumvent it.

Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: September 11, 2017 11:41AM
jdc
Yeah, seriously.

You should always cooperate fully with the police and tell them anything/everything you know. They have your best interests at heart.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 194
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015