advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $170.13 ( -0.05 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Spilled liquid on my 2012 late MacBook Pro keyboard and pad, actually ginger ale, any suggestions, powered down ok
Posted by: Microman
Date: September 09, 2017 08:32PM
Ginger ale spilled, powered down ok, should I take apart? Wiped quickly, lots on table but some thru cracks of keys I am sure
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Spilled liquid on my 2012 late MacBook Pro keyboard and pad, actually ginger ale, any suggestions, powered down ok
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: September 09, 2017 08:44PM
Microman
Ginger ale spilled, powered down ok, should I take apart? Wiped quickly, lots on table but some thru cracks of keys I am sure

Sugary substances can do a lot of damage to the keyboard, trackpad and logic board.

I would crack it open and clean up anything on the board with either circuit-board cleaner or denatured alcohol and Q-tips (not isopropyl), but if you're not handy this can be a daunting task. (Also note that the soft-battery is fragile and easily punctured which is very very dangerous so take care with that.) The keyboard is part of the topcase and you're not going to be able to do much with it.

If the MBP fails, Apple won't be particularly helpful after a liquid spill unless you have Applecare+ which does cover that kind of damage for $299. If it's not covered by AppleCare+ and if you're lucky, they'll send it in for a flat-rate repair at around $400 bucks -- or more.

Take-apart guides here:
[www.ifixit.com]

...Late 2012... Retina, right? Might have an easier time if it's the mid-2012 non-retina.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2017 09:24PM by Onamuji.
Re: Spilled liquid on my 2012 late MacBook Pro keyboard and pad, actually ginger ale, any suggestions, powered down ok
Posted by: reezekeys
Date: September 09, 2017 09:17PM
My daughter spilled lemonade on my old MacBook Pro. I powered it down immediately. Since I had opened it previously to change a hard drive I decided to deal with this myself and what I did worked. In short, I removed the logic board (using instructions from iFixit.com) and cleaned it with an electronics cleaner and a small nylon bristle brush I got at Home Depot. I forgot the exact cleaner I used – something similar to DeOxit I think. I thought the brushing was necessary in case any of the lemonade solution had dried on the board. I forget if I took the keyboard out & apart to clean it – I would think that I did but I have no memory of that! Anyway, it worked and my MBP lasted me a few more years until I replaced it.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: September 09, 2017 09:20PM
Once apart and the battery removed, rinse first with distilled water. It will remove the sugar from the soda much better than alcohol or circuit board cleaner. Then follow up with alcohol to dry out any remaining water.

Related to this, when did Apple start offering Applecare+ for the MacBook Pro? I had not been watching the offerings much recently, so had not realized there was an option now that included coverage for accidental damage. Regular Applecare did not cover any accidental damage.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: September 09, 2017 09:27PM
JoeH
Related to this, when did Apple start offering Applecare+ for the MacBook Pro? I had not been watching the offerings much recently, so had not realized there was an option now that included coverage for accidental damage. Regular Applecare did not cover any accidental damage.

They just did it a few months back.

Two incidents covered. $99 for a new display. $299 for anything else.

Posted by: Bo
Date: September 09, 2017 09:48PM
Add vodka and lime. Start licking.
Posted by: DP
Date: September 10, 2017 09:35AM
I just have to say that I have disciplined myself to keep food and drink-especially drink!-away from my computers, just because of situations like this. Too expensive to repair or replace, and particularly maddening when one KNOWS what can happen, but then one goes ahead and does it.
That said, I was once eating some chicken sausage stuffed with apple and cheese from TJ's. I was five feet away from my computer and I cut into the sausage and squirted apple and cheese five feet away and hit my monitor and the wall behind it! Fortunately the bits that hit the screen flew over my keyboard so I only had to clean the screen. No more Trader Joe's sausage even in the same room as my machine...

Date: September 10, 2017 10:24AM
Well, i fired it up this morning, and all seems ok. I will keep an eye on it, and it is covered by AppleCare + until November. But not much difference in price had I not bought it.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: September 10, 2017 11:02AM
Microman
Well, i fired it up this morning, and all seems ok. I will keep an eye on it, and it is covered by AppleCare + until November. But not much difference in price had I not bought it.

Was it a refurb? Don't see how you could have AC+ on a unit that old.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: JoeH
Date: September 10, 2017 11:32AM
Onamuji
JoeH

They just did it a few months back.

Two incidents covered. $99 for a new display. $299 for anything else.

That is good to know. We lend out MacBook Airs where I work and so far have had to have two repaired for damage. One had evidence of a large spill that had occurred sometime in the previous couple months and eventually killed the logic board. The other had a hair dryer "fall" onto the keyboard, there was also some evidence of small amounts of liquid damage.

We were not able to determine a responsible party in the first case, but the second person ended up with a $700 dollar depot repair bill. Possibly for future purchases we will get the Applecare+ and just charge the deductible. The Dell laptops we lend are purchased with their 3 year coverage that includes accidental damage coverage already, so I may be able to get that considered.
Date: September 10, 2017 01:35PM
Its a Macbook pro, and seems to be working fine. I bought it from a guy used, thru CL, that had bought it on Amazon. It was still under warranty, so I was able to add the Plus care. I though good deal as it had SSD and 16 of memory. Now if sugar water doesn't cause any problem all will be good. Using the keyboard now, all seems good.
Posted by: GGD
Date: September 10, 2017 01:55PM
The 13" Non-Retina Mid 2012 MBP (MD101LL/A and MD102LL/A) was still being sold new from Apple until Oct 27, 2016, and refurbs were sold for several months after that. So for that one 2012 model, it's still possible that there are some under the original 1 year warranty.
Posted by: billb
Date: September 11, 2017 09:32AM
well if it was diet ginger ale it may have been nothing but water and artificial (FAKE !!) flavors and preservatives. your keyboard will now last forever. LOL

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 11, 2017 09:35AM
....spilled some secrets......on mine......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 172
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015