advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $153.14 ( +2.59 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
PSA: download OS X 10.12 while you can, also you may want to update phones and iPads.
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 11, 2017 03:38PM
Before they release the next downgrades tomorrow.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: PSA: download OS X 10.12 while you can, also you may want to update phones and iPads.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: September 11, 2017 04:19PM
At least "purchase" it in the AppStore, so you can download it later. And remember, the downloaded installer file will go away once you use it if you leave it in the default Applications folder location.
Re: PSA: download OS X 10.12 while you can, also you may want to update phones and iPads.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: September 11, 2017 04:41PM
Yes! This is super-important if you ever want to reinstall it at a later time.
Posted by: wurm
Date: September 11, 2017 06:16PM
Well, I have flash drives with Mavericks (which I'm currently running), Yosemite, and El Capitan. I guess it wouldn't hurt to have Sierra...just in case I ever decide to upgrade. smiling smiley

Hmmm...just checked. I don't see it in the App Store. maybe my 2012 Mini can't upgrade.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2017 06:21PM by wurm.
Posted by: numbered
Date: September 11, 2017 06:44PM
I just checked and I still have the funny behavior in the App Store: Sierra does not show in my Purchased list (along with the previous OSX installers) even though I have a new Sierra MBP, and I downloaded it onto my old MBP. (The install app is sitting in Applications on the old computer.)

I am sure that we had a thread about this months ago, and "we" decided that it would show eventually? I downloaded it in July. Just sayyin'...

Oh, and as Wurm said, Sierra is not obvious in the App Store tonite. I had to do a search for it.

I did ask Apple Support about this in early August--I was having a very bad time with an HP kext that would not let my new computer finish booting--and was told 'not to worry." Right.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: September 11, 2017 06:57PM
wurm
Well, I have flash drives with Mavericks (which I'm currently running), Yosemite, and El Capitan. I guess it wouldn't hurt to have Sierra...just in case I ever decide to upgrade. smiling smiley

Hmmm...just checked. I don't see it in the App Store. maybe my 2012 Mini can't upgrade.

2012 Mini can upgrade to 10.12, I downloaded it on mine yesterday. Search the store for "Sierra".
Posted by: DP
Date: September 11, 2017 07:25PM
Interesting thread. Used to be, "Wow! 10.13 is out tomorrow! Can't wait!"

Posted by: space-time
Date: September 11, 2017 07:43PM
DP

Those times are long gone, my friend.
Posted by: what4
Date: September 11, 2017 09:15PM
For others who did not know, when you download Sierra, it arrives in your Applications folder under the name "Install macOS Sierra."
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 11, 2017 09:36PM
.....it's all going down......tomorrow......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 11, 2017 09:41PM
space-time
DP

Indeed! I may end up sticking with Sierra for years.
Posted by: GGD
Date: September 12, 2017 01:28AM
Sierra has funny behavior in the app store, even if you purchased it, it doesn't show up if the mac that you're viewing the App Store from can't run it (probably the normal behavior for any app in the store).

The Sierra installer requires that you're running 10.7 or later, and late 2009 hardware.

Another weird thing related to this is that even though El Capitan is gone from the App Store, Apple has a special link to download it, because Snowleopard users would need to upgrade to 10.11 first in order to get the App store to let them download 10.12.

[support.apple.com]

But the weird thing is that even after you download 10.11 this way, it doesn't show up in your Purchased list.

numbered
I just checked and I still have the funny behavior in the App Store: Sierra does not show in my Purchased list (along with the previous OSX installers) even though I have a new Sierra MBP, and I downloaded it onto my old MBP. (The install app is sitting in Applications on the old computer.)

I am sure that we had a thread about this months ago, and "we" decided that it would show eventually? I downloaded it in July. Just sayyin'...

Oh, and as Wurm said, Sierra is not obvious in the App Store tonite. I had to do a search for it.

I did ask Apple Support about this in early August--I was having a very bad time with an HP kext that would not let my new computer finish booting--and was told 'not to worry." Right.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 12, 2017 01:33AM
space-time
DP

All too true, sadly.

It is what it is.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 12, 2017 01:40AM
sekker
space-time
DP

Indeed! I may end up sticking with Sierra for years.

I think the new file system is the most exciting to happen in the Apple universe since Apple Pay. It is the sort of under-the-hood advance that we used to get with almost every new version of OS X.

Not that I'm going to trust my files to it anytime soon.

It is what it is.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: September 12, 2017 08:49AM
Has AAPL ever introduces a new version of iOS and the Desktop OS on the same day?
Posted by: gabester
Date: September 12, 2017 11:20AM
Are they really going to number the High Sierra release 10.13?
I just downloaded 10.12.6 just in case. Still running snow leopard and mavericks tho.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 12, 2017 03:29PM
....what about OS 11....and legacy iPads.......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: September 12, 2017 06:23PM
NewtonMP2100
....what about OS 11....and legacy iPads.......???

I guess we're SOOL....I don't plan to buy another iPad yet. I'm still pretty happy with my 4th generation

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2017 06:26PM by Lizabeth.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 294
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015