advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Completely silly and useless observation presented for your enjoyment by DP...
Posted by: DP
Date: September 12, 2017 12:23PM
So we've had these mugs forever. I don't know where we got them; my wife had them from before me. They hold a lot of hot coffee so I like them.

But I noticed that although they are all the same brand (sorry, didn't shoot a pic of the bottom)- YesterYear by Westwood, copyright 1992, made in China-the insides of them are all different.

Here's the set of four:

Here's the inside of the green label mug:

Next, the black labeled one:

The orange:

And finally the red labeled mug:

So, why the completely different cracking pattern in the glaze? Different manufacturing lines? Different suppliers of the porcelain and glaze? We have used them pretty equally-I don't have a favorite so turnover is consistent.

Where are the engineers to solve this amazing conundrum?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2017 01:26PM by DP.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Completely silly and useless observation presented for your enjoyment by DP...
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: September 12, 2017 12:53PM
If you get an answer it will help explain the difference in a lot of our mugs. We are particularly fond of the Emma Bridgewater range of china and noticed a while ago that the insides wore differently over the years.

[www.emmabridgewater.co.uk]

Paul

Re: Completely silly and useless observation presented for your enjoyment by DP...
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 12, 2017 12:54PM
The half life of the radioactive waste that the Chinese government gives manufacturers to dispose of in American consumer products varied between manufacturing lines. Mug #1 has the Uranium, which decays much slower. Mug #4 is obviously contaminated with bismuth-212.
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: September 12, 2017 12:56PM
The crazing patterns of the red and the orange seem very similar. Did you use the right photos?

Paul

Posted by: JoeH
Date: September 12, 2017 12:58PM
My guess would be either different zones in the kilns or lack of consistency between firings. Add any inconsistency in the materials used, and those would magnify the differences.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 12, 2017 01:12PM
.....dude......crack......is whack......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: September 12, 2017 01:27PM
voodoopenguin
The crazing patterns of the red and the orange seem very similar. Did you use the right photos?

Paul

You are correct! I need to drink some coffee from one of them now!

Fixed it in the OP...

Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: September 12, 2017 04:24PM
cbelt3
The half life of the radioactive waste that the Chinese government gives manufacturers to dispose of in American consumer products varied between manufacturing lines. Mug #1 has the Uranium, which decays much slower. Mug #4 is obviously contaminated with bismuth-212.

This is why I've been coming back to DM and now MRF for 2 decades now. Thanks, belty!
Date: September 12, 2017 05:20PM
That's why my coffee never cools off!

Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 12, 2017 05:59PM
and you can see in the dark.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: September 13, 2017 11:10AM
DP,

I believe those are stress fractures, caused by different rates of cooling. That happens with metal during heat treating as well. That can be eliminated by controlled cooling, but for most purpose is not necessary. Also, all clay is not the same. Variations in the clay can cause this in some cases.

There. I've told you more than I know.

Mr. Curmudgeon, on Mav/EC/Sierra/blood thinner & some other "old people pills".
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 195
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015