Posted by: sekker
Date: September 12, 2017 04:29PM
Basically $10/month

[fortune.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Wireless carrier plan pricing for LTE Apple Watch in the US
Posted by: rgG
Date: September 12, 2017 04:37PM
I don't see why it should cost anything more. They are my minutes and my data, why do they care which device is using it?
I know they are doing it to get more money, just because they can, but I think it is wrong.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 12, 2017 04:40PM
rgG
but I think it is wrong.

Since when did that matter one iota…

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 12, 2017 05:05PM
I never understood it either. No Idea why and iPad cost more to add..

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: September 12, 2017 06:10PM
jdc
I never understood it either. No Idea why and iPad cost more to add..

Exactly. It is like buying a Coke and the restaurant saying it is $2, but if you pour half the Coke into another glass, that you brought with you, we will charge you another 25¢. It is my Coke, all of it. Why should I pay more to use it in my glass instead of the bottle?
It would not cost extra if I set up my phone as a hotspot and then used the pad to connect to the phone, so why should it cost more if my pad has a SIM card in it, which I paid extra for.
I wonder if you can get a standalone plan for a watch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2017 06:11PM by rgG.
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 12, 2017 06:40PM
They have a government monopoly. If you have new Apple gadget, you can afford $10/month ...
Date: September 12, 2017 07:22PM
sekker
They have a government monopoly. If you have new Apple gadget, you can afford $10/month ...

It isn't about if you can afford it, it is about getting nothing for the money you are paying.
It doesn't cost the carrier anything or if anything it would be negligible at best. $10 a month is probably about a 1,000% markup which is nuts.

Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: September 12, 2017 07:30PM
Carriers shouldn't charge extra for enabling hotspot on your smartphone, but they do anyway...
Posted by: Buzz
Date: September 13, 2017 02:05AM
My 2¢ is that there oughta be like a single $10 family add-on fee that includes all shared, non-phone devices on the family's plan. And that fee should be as an either/or w/ LTE (or highest speed) data sharing from your phone(s) to your listed/registered devices on the plan.

Our current postpaid plan has individual line data add-ons available for $10/mo each, while our prepaid plan has a bigger hot spot data add-on available for $10/mo that includes all lines on the plan (up to 5). It seems reasonable that a family should be able to add a couple of watches and a couple of tablets for a single $10 fee for up to like 5 devices, rather than getting hammered for $10 apiece each month. It's not like all devices are even gonna get used that much. Watches are likely to get used more than tablets, but require less data, and as Rhonda says, it's already our minutes and data, and as the press reports, new fees are gonna create more buyer push-back towards purchasing.

I know I'm not alone when it comes to considering new devices w/ factoring in add'l monthly fees staring back from each one. I'd definitely get more tech for the family if there weren't effectively redundant fees from each one for their usage, whether it be via SIM's and/or hot-spotting (or other form of tethering).
==
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 212
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015