advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $153.39 ( -2.68 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What Appeals to Me Most About iPhone X...
Posted by: graylocks
Date: September 12, 2017 07:27PM
is that the screen real estate is larger than the plus but the phone size itself is only slightly larger than my IPS6. my son has a IP6+ and i've always thought i wanted something smaller than his but larger than mine.

my IP6S is a work horse. i have no reason to replace it. guess i'll just start putting money aside until i can come up with one.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2017 07:35PM by graylocks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What Appeals to Me Most About iPhone X...
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 12, 2017 07:33PM
I feel the same way and I'm on the same timeline for purchasing

Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: September 12, 2017 08:01PM
I thought the X was slightly smaller in terms of screen area than the 8 Plus, based on some hurried research at this site (had a bit of a hard time finding this info anywhere on the internet):

[www.devicespecifications.com]
iPhone X display height x width = 5.27" x 2.43" ==> 12.8061 square inches of area

iPhone 8 Plus display height x width = 4.79" x 2.7" ==> 12.933 square inches of area

What are accurate screen dimensions for the X versus the 8 Plus?
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: September 12, 2017 08:25PM
But the X has less non-screen size, so it's a better fit in the palm, no?
Date: September 12, 2017 09:15PM
Carnos Jax
I thought the X was slightly smaller in terms of screen area than the 8 Plus, based on some hurried research at this site (had a bit of a hard time finding this info anywhere on the internet):

iPhone X display height x width = 5.27" x 2.43" ==> 12.8061 square inches of area

iPhone 8 Plus display height x width = 4.79" x 2.7" ==> 12.933 square inches of area

the compare page at apple has the display screen on the x as 5.8" and the plus 5.5".

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: September 12, 2017 09:16PM
anonymouse1
But the X has less non-screen size, so it's a better fit in the palm, no?

yes. overall it's smaller in the hand than the plus. seductive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2017 09:17PM by graylocks.
Posted by: Spiff
Date: September 12, 2017 09:28PM
My 4S is shaking with fear. It's days are numbered and the only saving grace is the $1000+ price tag. Saved by the CHA CHING, little buddy.

I would like to own an iPhone X. The first time I have thought about breaking my rule of "don't get the first iteration".
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 12, 2017 10:02PM
I happen to have skipped the iP7, so I'm going to look hard at the X. If it's nice, it'll cost me a second one sometime for my wife too - though she's going to refuse to pay $1k for hers.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: September 12, 2017 10:04PM
graylocks
Carnos Jax

the compare page at apple has the display screen on the x as 5.8" and the plus 5.5".

Yes, but I fear the aspect ratio (ratio between the length of the sides) is not the same, and so I'm not sure the comparison between the diagonal measurements (i.e. 5.8" vs. 5.5") is valid.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2017 10:05PM by Carnos Jax.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 12, 2017 10:15PM
....having X in the product name......like Weapon X.........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: michaelb
Date: September 12, 2017 10:23PM
I am not really a "phone" guy, but I would think long and hard about the lack of a home button and wait to see real world reports about how that works and problems with it. Using touch id to unlock a phone is very effective, and I am not convinced the face id will be ready as a replacement.
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 12, 2017 11:57PM
michaelb
I am not really a "phone" guy, but I would think long and hard about the lack of a home button and wait to see real world reports about how that works and problems with it. Using touch id to unlock a phone is very effective, and I am not convinced the face id will be ready as a replacement.

yeah, there has got to be more to it than just the face?

How would you hand your phone to your wife and have her do something with it if her face isnt scanned?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: SteveO
Date: September 13, 2017 01:01AM
jdc
michaelb

How would you hand your phone to your wife and have her do something with it if her face isnt scanned?

I'd guess there will still be other options for unlocking - passcodes, etc.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: September 13, 2017 07:49AM
jdc
michaelb

I unlock my phone first, if I give it to her. No shared iPhones, iPads etc here.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 13, 2017 08:23AM
My fat fingers wonder how they are going to grip an X without endlessly activating things on the display. And it will never fit in my breast pocket once I wrap it in a case to keep from breaking it when I inevitably drop it. My 5 works well in my Otterbox which fits reasonably snugly in my pocket. I guess I should just get an SE.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: September 13, 2017 08:29AM
michaelb

I'd have to see (or learn) how the software controls it, now that physical buttons have stopped mattering to Apple.

I don't generally miss swipe-to-unlock, except in one key way Apple ignores, and that is this: With swipe-to-unlock, you knew what the steps were, every time. Swipe, then unlock. Now, I have to hit/touch my Home button twice, but not twice in succession because that'll either bring me into Apple Pay, or it'll want me to enter my passcode, even if ignoring that and using TouchID will get me in.

Apple's "workaround" for what used to not need a workaround is to have text appear that says, "Press Home to unlock". Doing so randomly gets me in, or asks me to enter my passcode, even if ignoring that and using TouchID (again) will get me in.

So yeah, while I can't afford the iPhone X, they've now made me look forward to the day when the entire Home button (physical, touch, whatever) is just totally gone. They've F'd it up sufficiently.

Another software example:
In the old days, I'd swipe across an incoming text notification, unlock at the prompt and I'd be right at that message. Two steps, and still secure.

With the current setup, swiping across an incoming text notification and unlocking takes me to ... nowhere in particular (anywhere but the incoming text message, unless I just happened to have already been in that person's text thread. I have no idea why Apple even bothers to allow swiping an incoming text message anymore.

The good news about Apple constantly ignoring any proven sane user experiences is that eventually, they'll get back to them.
Date: September 13, 2017 08:31AM
Speedy
My fat fingers wonder how they are going to grip an X without endlessly activating things on the display. ...

You're (gonna be) holding it wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2017 08:31AM by deckeda.
Posted by: vision63
Date: September 13, 2017 10:43AM
We're I an iPhone person, I'd jump on the X. The smaller chassis is the killer feature.

On the other hand, I routinely have my phone on the desk next to me while I work or eat. With a front facing fingerprint sensor all I have to do is touch it to unlock it. With the new face deal, I'd have to pick it up every time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2017 10:44AM by vision63.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: September 13, 2017 12:14PM
vision63
We're I an iPhone person, I'd jump on the X. The smaller chassis is the killer feature.

On the other hand, I routinely have my phone on the desk next to me while I work or eat. With a front facing fingerprint sensor all I have to do is touch it to unlock it. With the new face deal, I'd have to pick it up every time.

Really Good Point!

Staunton, Virginia
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 262
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015