advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
E-book reader
Posted by: clyde
Date: September 12, 2017 10:04PM
Looking for an e-book reader. Never used one.

How is content downloaded?

My Mac uses cable internet. Can e-books be downloaded to the Mac, then transferred to the e-book reader?

Thanks!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: E-book reader
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 12, 2017 10:47PM
Kindle uses wifi and versions with cellular.

You can also connect to Mac. Calibre can upload non-DRM books like Project Gutenberg.

I'd not bother with anything else even though the Kobo readers are nice hardware.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: September 13, 2017 12:09AM
Do you have an iPad? If so, the Kindle app is a good starting point. I personally prefer Apple's own iBookstore.

iBooks can also import .epub files from places like Goodreads and Project Gutenberg. The Kindle eReader can't (at least not directly, in my experience, unless you convert via Calibre like seeker says above).

So if you already have an iPad, start there. If you find you don't like the iPad's screen for reading, try a Kindle (used, new, or check with your local library as some offer them for loan).

Also check out a new iPad app called Libby.

Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 13, 2017 01:25AM
Many library systems also let you "check out" e-books.
Posted by: jardster
Date: September 13, 2017 05:51AM
I've had several versions of the Kindle. I currently use the Paperwhite. It's good for indoor and outdoor reading. I have the Wifi version and just make sure I've got a book on there before I leave the house (although 90% of reading is done at home).

And I've never paid for a book. My public library has a great E-book section that allows you to borrow an ebook, send it to your kindle, and have it for 21 days. Check with them!

Posted by: testcase
Date: September 13, 2017 10:25AM
Many public libraries subscribe to "Overdrive". The Overdrive App is a free download for iOS, Android, Mac, and Windows OSes. LOTS of FREE eBooks and audiobooks to choose from on Overdrive. You choose the device(s) you wish to use. Let the downloads begin!

Driving my RV over long distances, I find I enjoy listening to audiobooks. MUCH easier than trying to scan local radio stations hoping to find one I like. Any of my iOS or Android devices can connect to the RV's infotainment system via Bluetooth. I do plug said device in to keep it charged while listening to the selection of the day I've previously downloaded from Overdrive. old fogey smiley
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 13, 2017 10:35AM
....are you looking for stand alone dedicated e-reader.....???

.....most have apps that be used on existing iPad, iPhone.......so you don't have to buy, just use the apps mentioned above for Amazon Kindle, the library, etc......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Buzz
Date: September 13, 2017 05:37PM
Even the fire sale HP Touchpads make good ereaders. We have one that still has webos on it and another with Android, and the screen resolution lends itself nicely for such tasks. Basically, any tablet will work as an e-reader, so just get one that looks good for your eyes.
==
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 223
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015