Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $153.39 ( -2.68 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Tim Cook: how long will he last?
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 12, 2017 10:10PM
AAPL is doing OK so I guess his job is safe for now. But he is no Steve Jobs, and even Steve Jobs got fired at one point.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Tim Cook: how long will he last?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 12, 2017 10:12PM
.....isn't that private info for his partner to know and us to find out.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: davester
Date: September 12, 2017 10:18PM
More importantly, how soon can we get rid of Jonny Ive?

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: September 12, 2017 10:37PM
I'm wondering how soon we can get rid of Eddie Cue…
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 12, 2017 10:44PM
The iPhone X looks like a nice product. If it works as well as it looks, Apple won't be able to make enough for a year or more.

The Apple Watch is eating up competition too.

The iPad is becoming a real workstation.

Tim Cook's Apple is real and making a lot of $&.

If they deliver on a real modular Mac Pro, what's not to like except no upgraded MacBook Air?
Posted by: 3d
Date: September 13, 2017 05:34AM
How soon can we stop comparing Tim Cook to Steve Jobs?

Tim Cook shared some advice that Steve had given him before he died:
Never ask what I would do. Just do what's right.

“Among his last advice he had for me, and for all of you, was to never ask what he would do. ‘Just do what’s right,’” Cook said. Jobs wanted Apple to avoid the trap that Walt Disney Co. (DIS) fell into after the death of its iconic founder, Cook said, where “everyone spent all their time thinking and talking about what Walt would do.”
Posted by: gabester
Date: September 13, 2017 06:26AM
You guys are cracking me up. Yesterday's presentation was SOO SLOOW that I could have used it to put myself to sleep.

I totally agree Ive's "aesthetic" needs to go. Or at least spin off a Lexus/Acura style high end division that can work on the same tech but with more variation (i.e. not everything needs to be thinner!)

I expect Cook will be around for the foreseeable future and only when Apple's really taking some hard knocks in the marketplace will they think about changing leadership. The man seems built to live a very long life... I suspect Phil Schiller will be there at Apple until his mummified corpse can no longer be reanimated for keynotes.
g=
Posted by: DP
Date: September 13, 2017 06:32AM
Walt and Steve built their companies into the successes they were so it's natural for their successors to keep it going. Tim Cook is concerned for the shareholders first and foremost. Yes, he is not Jobs and he is doing what he thinks is "right". Is it right? Well, he's making big moolah for Apple but it's all iPhone. We see the cracks in the edifice that have a lot of us not happy with Apple's other products of late. I would sure hate to have to start considering Windows products...

And I'm very happy with my M9 HTC; I won't be buying an iPhone. I have no use for an Apple Watch and I have a Kindle HDX that I like very much too.

I would like to see a solid, stable, and secure OS for computers. Every update I've installed over the last few years doesn't yield anything other than a new GUI.

Posted by: vicrock
Date: September 13, 2017 08:16AM
Jobs was a visionary - Tim is no visionary!
Posted by: billb
Date: September 13, 2017 08:20AM
vicrock
Jobs was a visionary - Tim is no visionary!

But that's precisely why he kept Cook around.
We can only hope Jobs' vision lives on in hundreds of employees keeping that vision alive.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: September 13, 2017 11:17AM
sekker
The iPhone X looks like a nice product. If it works as well as it looks, Apple won't be able to make enough for a year or more.

The Apple Watch is eating up competition too.

The iPad is becoming a real workstation.

Tim Cook's Apple is real and making a lot of $&.

If they deliver on a real modular Mac Pro, what's not to like except no upgraded MacBook Air?

What's not to like? All their lousy software. And Jony Ive. Always.

Posted by: GuyGene
Date: September 13, 2017 12:22PM
agree smiley with about all that's been said. And, I don't know. Except that pleasing customers is what brought Apple success. Customers first.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 13, 2017 06:17PM
I agree that software for the Mac has seemed to be dying.

But for Apple's bottom line, Tim Cook has to be considered a real success story.

Will Apple be a winner in the world of self-driving cars, AI, VR and AR? Who knows. But they have the $$ to give it a shot.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: September 14, 2017 12:04AM
Tim Cook is making Apple a pile of money.

I wish they would let someone else take over the computer division, because I feel as if they are trying to make Macs into great, big not-so-mobile devices and that upsets me.

Posted by: tuqqer
Date: September 14, 2017 06:59AM
I'm sure he's a very good man and amazing friend. But I do cringe watching and listening to Tim Cook give presentations. He's just the oddest choice for doing these events.

Mac Pro 2013 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5, 16G RAMSierra 10.12.6 Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 259
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015